"6-year-old couldn’t play soccer because of ‘culturally biased’ hair rules" youth soccer coaches how would this play out in your league?

IMO, this is just another version of “But my Freee-dumb!!”

Sometimes, if you want to participate in something

1. youth soccer
  2. U.S. citizenry

you must follow the rules

1. can not wear potentially dangerous items
  2. must be vaccinated for COVID

Mom’s crying wolf (though maybe not intentionally). Alleging racism when it’s not there only hurts others when they make legitimate claims of racism.

I was a USSF / FIFA referee for 6 years. I officiated matches at a higher level than the one this little girl is in (sanctioned club leagues, not recreational leagues). At the recreational level a “lighter touch” is often called for when officiating but that is what makes it so tough (how do you enforce the laws of soccer but at the same time let parents run out onto the field crying when their kid falls down?)

That’s why I refused to ever referee recreational leagues or any club level below Under 12. I can wrap my head around officiating within the laws of the game–I can’t wrap my head around trying to be a parent/teacher/nurse at the same time.

Back to this situation: there is an easy remedy–it’s basically the same as when grown men refuse to remove their wedding rings–cover it. Medical tape for the rings, shower cap (or similar) for the hair baubles.

What else would you call it when the girl was told to take out her hair clips because they were “a distraction”?

The rule is not racist, but this application of it most definitely seems like it is.

I forgot about that. I thought it was because of the risk of injury. Seems like a bad call by someone but again–that’s why I never let myself but put in the situation where I had to deal with stuff like that.

Yeah–strictly on the “distraction” front there could be the appearance of racism but I thought the potential injury reasons were also put forward. I have to read the article again. Thanks.

I don’t know what kind of league you officiated in but in sanctioned USSF / FIFA matches the players’ equipment must be inspected by the officials before they ever enter the game.

Law 4 Players’ Equipment

Safety

A player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous.

All items of jewellery (necklaces, rings, bracelets, earrings, leather bands, rubber bands, etc.) are forbidden and must be removed. Using tape to cover jewellery is not permitted.*

The players must be inspected before the start of the match and substitutes before they enter the field of play. If a player is wearing or using unauthorised/dangerous equipment or jewellery the referee must order the player to:

• remove the item
  • leave the field of play at the next stoppage if the player is unable or unwilling to comply

A player who refuses to comply or wears the item again must be cautioned.

*I haven’t officiated in over 20 years. Here we see something that’s changed since I was involved.

I’m saying my pregame inspection of teams at player check in doesn’t count as “ahead of time”, especially for things like the hairstyle in question, which probably can’t be dealt with sufficiently in the time between me finishing my 9:30 AM game and starting my next game at 11AM. In my book, ahead of time is the coach dealing with it before she ever shows up for warm up at 10:30.

In the opinion of this referee, a shower cap wouldn’t fly as acceptable protective gear, as the hard projections are still there, just invisible.

You can’t start a game until the players and subs have been inspected. If it must start late, so be it.

If the coach deals with it ahead of time that’s great but it doesn’t really matter. Ultimately, it’s up to the official–not the coach–to make sure the game is played legally.

ETA: I agree with you about the shower cap if there are hard plastic balls involved. I was thinking of keeping e.g. loose braid from flailing about.

There was so much bastardization of the laws in the U.S. because although it’s under the auspices of FIFA, American youth were always playing a very different game than actual world football. As such, I and most other refs learned bad habits that would never fly anywhere the game is played seriously.

We learned half-assed measures that wouldn’t work elsewhere but were demanded by American leagues. I admit to that. It’s one of the reasons I quit officiating. I can’t bear the American game.

Right. But that doesn’t fix the problem of the kid being told her hairstyle won’t fly as I’m checking in kids at 10:50. It’s not my call if they stay in or come out, but she can’t play if they stay in.

The game will be played legally, I just wish the coach had taken care of business ahead of time. Because it sucks to have to say that to a kid and her coach, especially when coach could have let mom know on Tuesday at practice that the hairstyle with the hard protrusions wouldn’t work on Saturday. I don’t like telling kids they can’t play with earrings either, even if I have never in my life met the referee who said it was ok with tape on them last week.

It fixes it fine. If the equipment is not legal, the kid doesn’t play.

It helps if the coaches are coaching the kids properly but you can’t count on that, especially in the United States. As an official you have no power over how the coaches prepare their kids. It is not your concern.

But in the lower level and rec leagues everything blurs together and the match official is expected to be a coach / nanny / cheerleader on the field. Not good.

But Marshmon said her daughter’s clips aren’t headwear.

“Those hair clips are her personal appearance that she has worn her entire life,” she said.

Sounds like general pain in the ass youth sports parents wanting to argue the rules with the officials like they are giving oral argument in front of the Supreme Court. Take the hair clips out and speak with the league president after the game for clarification. The little girl was likely crying because her parents are assholes and embarrassed her by causing a scene.

Bullshit. The reason given was it was a distraction. That’s a bullshit reason, just like when the same is used to dictate how black students can wear their hair in school.

You can either believe a parent who is all butt hurt over their kid not playing or you can understand the rules and why they are there. It presents a real hazard to players. If they had some string they could have fixed it in short order.

It’s that simple.