600 pound woman ejected through sunroof

Thanks! I looked and looked for a picture. That looks at least as big as the standard dimensions I used.

http://www.jumy.de/suv/isuzu/Isuzu_Amigo-soft-top98.jpg

Thank you!
Didn’t think to google for standard sun roof info.

That’s a tight fit, but not as bad as I thougt.

Take a look at the link in the OP, there is a link to a video. No narration, but it shows the truck from the driver’s side rear, a close up of the roof, a shot from the passenger’s side rear, another close up of the roof, and the broken glass sunroof on the ground.
From the looks of the damage to the roof, it appears that she did not fit very well and tried to take the roof with her. Based on the fact that the glass sunroof is on the ground near the car, I am guessing she had it closed at the time of the accident. :eek:
OUCH!
That must have hurt.

We descriptivists don’t believe something’s acceptable usage; we merely describe it. It’s the proscriptivists that are in the “right vs. wrong” faith camp.

A proscriptivist might mention the misspelled pronoun there.

Back to the OP! Reading the thread title, I was wondering when ejection seats were added to passenger vehicles. :smack: Then I read the thread and realized that the individual was ejected due to an accident in which she was not wearing a seat belt.

:smack: prescriptivists, not proscriptivists.

Anyone know for sure whether or not the vehicle actually ***had ***a sunroof prior to the incident? :eek:

As someone who has attempted to exit a vehicle through a closed window during a rollover by not wearing a seatbelt, I can attest that it doesn’t hurt as much as one might think it would. Especially once you consider that previously closed windows tend to lose their structural support during the rollover. My best guess at the physics involved is something like Isuzu rolls over onto side, roof of car bends, car rolls over onto roof, little rubber seal that holds it in place ceases to hold it in place, window and unrestrained occupant stay on ground, car rolls onto other side without them. I don’t think it is like the occupant hits an eject button and flies straight up. That being said, I have never succeeded in leaving a wrecking car through a previously closed window, so I could be full of it.

You see, what started as a sunroof became a ragtop! :wink:

A 600 lb person still has the skeleton of a 100 lb person. The car just acted as a strainer.

So now she’s, like, thin, but nine feet tall?

No, just thin. I doubt there were any salvageable interior parts. I’m reminded of a severely damaged 57 T-bird in a junkyard. The last driver had long blonde hair. Shudder.

. . . Although I guess “dead” would also be “stable condition.”

Would her mass have been the reason she wasn’t belted in?

Perhaps but you can buy seatbelt extenders. I think you can even get them direct from the some car manufacturers. Certainly, paying the extra cash for an extender would be better than being unbelted in an accident.

I suppose that technically, for a very brief period of time, her sunroof became a moonroof.

And then a road roof.

I shouldn’t have laughed…but that was perfect.

Probably more like one of these.

If this is a guess it’s remarkably accurate.

I don’t know the optimum height for a 600lb woman recently strained through a sunroof, but a meaningful benchmark might be a 600lb wildebeest, which measures up at 8 or 9 feet standing on its hind legs.

That’s the end of today’s gnus.