61 hours of insanity: The final days of Trump

I know there are a lot of Trump threads bouncing about. But, as we are now in the final two and a half days of the Trump presidency (61 hours from riiiiiight…now!), I thought perhaps a separate thread would be justified to document all the bonkersauce stuff that we’re likely to be seeing as things wrap up.

First up, this just blows me away: There are more troops bivouacked in DC right now than we have stationed in Afghanistan and Iraq…all just to protect our nation’s transition of power. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that our nation’s peaceful transition of power is actually at-risk right now. There are going to be upwards of 25,000 troops in DC by Wednesday, from all 50 states and territories. And then there are the troops being activated to protect state capitals.

Anyway, it’s Sunday night now, then Monday comes, Tuesday will be here before you know it, and then it’s the big day. Folks, it’s the final countdown…

Approx. 0.227 scaramuccis left to go!

And Chef José Andrés is feeding them (with a little help from Nancy Pelosi too)!

Well, Sunday came and went, and I haven’t seen or read much of the massive nationwide bonkersauce that was supposed to go down. (Have I been missing something?) Is the Movement fizzling already? Or are they just saving up the Major Bonkersauce for Tuesday or Wednesday?

Apparently, the Proud Boys and others have put an activities freeze in place for the next week or so. They feel the events of Jan 6 have made things to hot to be active. We’ll see if all the members and subgroups got the memo.

I think Don will def find a way to upstage Joe, not sure how, but pretty sure he’s got a plan!

And then, he’ll accuse Joe of being a big old scaredy cat, and wasting tax payer money on all these troops every where!

Thankfully, Major Bonkersauce resigned so he wouldn’t have to invoke the 25th.

That’s why nothing is going to happen. I expect everything to go smoothly.

In the coming weeks and months there may be isolated far-right terror incidents, and they will be an ongoing concern, but I think the security services are going to monitor right-wing activists far more closely from now on, and come down hard on them.

I hear the FBI is vetting all 25,000 troops to avoid any aid from inside the ranks.

There’s a GD thread

I saw somewhere that he is planning some exit ceremony. I hope the media ignores it. The free media Trump certainly contributed to the current situation. They happily promoted the sideshow.

He can upstage whoever he wants. He still won’t be President.

I read they nixed any send off celebration, saying if he won’t do the other formalities, like attending inauguration, greeting the income pres. and firstL, then they ain’t gonna get anything!

He’s still gonna need the press coverage, like junkie needs a fix! It’s frightening to think, if they do ignore him, what lengths he might go to for headlines! Yikes!

I think — or at least hope — that the most we see of CFSG’s departure (leaving the White House, boarding Marine One and taking off for Andrews AFB and his well-deserved trip to the outer darkness) will be a picture-in-picture in the lower right corner of the screen. The smaller the better.

A contributing factor will be timing. The closer his departure gets to the inauguration, the more it will be ignored.

I think tomorrow’s planned pardon spree is likely the worst of what’s left for Trump’s term.

I think that may be the SDMB record best first reply evar to an OP.

I salute you Sir! That was genius!

Trump’s and Biden’s MLK Day schedules, side by side:

For those not wanting to click the Twitter link:
Trump’s schedule reads (exactly as it has for the past six days):

President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings.

Biden’s schedule reads:

On Monday, January 18, the President-elect and Dr. Biden will spend the National Day of Service volunteering at Philabundance in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which will be pool pressed. President-elect Biden will also meet with transition advisors.

47 hours and 46 minutes to go.

This article from CNN has a brief description of Agent Orange’s plans for a big sendoff from Andrews.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/politics/trump-biden-inauguration-snub/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+(RSS%3A+CNN+-+Top+Stories)

From the article it sounds like Trump has given up on the flyover:

On Sunday, invitations were issued to Trump’s circle asking them to please attend – and bring up to five guests – his and Melania Trump’s going-away celebration at Joint Base Andrews, prior to boarding Air Force One early Wednesday morning for their last trip on the storied aircraft, which will deposit them in Florida.

Trump has told staff he wants his tarmac send-off to include all the pomp and circumstance he feels he deserves, including a 21-Gun Salute, red carpet and military Color Guard. On Monday afternoon, an administration official told CNN the bells and whistles might all be for a very big audience of one – the President – and a small audience of others: “So far, there haven’t been a lot of RSVPs.”

I’m hoping that Trump ends up feeling like Bob Alexander (Frank Langella) at the end of Dave:

42 hours, 50 minutes.

So far, so good on the level of Bonkersauce. I do concur that having 25,000 National Guardsmen on duty in DC probably keeps things pretty calm until after the 20th.