64 ounces of water a day?

So I’m trying to lose a few pounds and my doctor recommends drinking
eight (8-ounce) glasses of water a day, he said this will help flush the body and promote weight loss.

My question is this:

I have a hard time drinking water straight up, if I flavour them with those “Crystal Light” flavour crystals, will I still get the same health benefits of drinking the 64 ounces of water a day, or does adding the crystals negate all the positive the water does?

Thanks!
:slight_smile:

The two things you do not want to add are caffeine or sugar.

So if you’re using sugar-free “Crystal Light” (or whatever) yes, you’ll retain the good qualities of water.

You might want to try some of the lightly carbonated or flavored waters out there (just make sure they aren’t adding caffeine, like Water Joe, or a lot of sugar)

I believe all Crystal Light is sugar-free. What you want to look for is caffeine-free. I know they make a caffeine-free iced tea (which I’m addicted to), and I don’t think their lemonade has caffeine, either.

*Caffeine acts as a diuretic, so you’d actually be losing water while you’re trying to put water IN.

It is a myth that you need to drink eight glasses of water a day.

Also, that small amount of caffeine isn’t going to negate the healthy benefits of drinking water. The amounts of caffeine in soda aren’t going to make your body decide to shed 12 ounces of water to make up for the 12 oz of caffeinated soda.

The OP is trying to lose weight, so it’s unclear if that analysis applies to him. Drinking lots of water promotes a “full stomach” feeling, so maybe that’s what his doctor is getting at.

Yes, but the OP’s doctor also seems to believe that drinking eight glasses of water will “flush the body”. Which I suppose is true - it will flush the body of the huge amounts of water it has recently consumed.

No, as chaoticbear said.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=3089802&highlight=caffiene+diuretic#post3089802

And

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=6576295&highlight=caffiene+diuretic#post6576295

On second thought, I concede that I jumped to the conclusion that the doctor was regurgitating the old “eight glasses” myth, when it may be that in this circumstance it is sound advice. So I withdraw my comments.

I mean no offense, but what is it with you people who don’t like to drink water? How do you survive? If there is one thing that evolution should have conditioned us to LOVE doing, it is drinking water…

For what it’s worth, they still give this advice after bariatric surgeries, too (also for weight loss). They didn’t say exactly why, but implied that the surgery messed with your sense of thirst for a while, and that 64 ounces would be enough for anybody.

I admit i am baffled also, my favorite drink is a huge ice water. If I get really frisky I might put a splash of lemon or lime juice in it. I find sweet drinks make me more thirsty. About the only time I do coke or ginger ale is when my stomach is upset and I think it is more placebo effect when my stomach feels better.

I do know the people at work consider me insane because I drink the tap water… but it is potable, just has a little of the chlorine and mineral taste. I swear they would all die of dehydration if they couldnt spend their money on bottled water.

Unless I’m really thirsty, I don’t like drinking plain water. From an evolutionary point of view, water isn’t always a good thing. It’s a great way to spread disease. Why do you think beer and wine were so popular in many countries?

If I’m not thirsty, it’s hard for me to make myself drink anything.

Water is great when I’m thirsty or eating a big meal. But when I’m not, it makes me want to gag.

I have nothing against drinking water. I do it myself, pretty much daily.

But, in the manner of giving advice to others on the subject of drinking water, by any internet asshole, or especially one claiming medical credentials, I would like a link, or clear reference to a peer reviewed study showing any health benefit resulting from drinking amounts of water greater than that which are needed to avoid dehydration.

Anyone? Anyone? . . .

Tris

“The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.” ~ Hubert Humphrey ~

Sugar is an anti-emetic. If you’re feeling pukey, sugar will stop it.

For instance, Emetrol is a glorified sugar syrup to help with nausea.

If I might be permitted a tiny hijack, if that’s true, it is something I will find useful to know, having just spent the last 5 minutes feeling like that. Perhaps we are all so used to thinking that sugar is the work of the evil one, etc, but it’s certainly nice to think that cup of something sugary will work if “feeling pukey” (What a fun, cute way to describe it. :slight_smile: )

To the O.P., depending on preference, perhaps a splash or lemon juice (previously suggested, I think) or mint oil, might help make the water more interesting. Or drink tomato or other vegetable juice as breakfast, and count that as part of the liquid/water amount?

I’m pretty sure all Crystal Light is caffeine-free too, isn’t it?

I am diabetic, and since 1980 only do diet soda. still seems to work.

Although I have never really been into sweets, I am more of a sour/bitter sort.