7 Jan 2021 and beyond - the aftermath of the storming of the Capitol

Agree 100% with all you just said. A very nice encapsulation of the true threats to pluralistic societies everywhere.

With modern “power tools” for propaganda and chicanery, there’s so much money and so much power to be amassed by the unscrupulous and evil that they can’t not do it. And if any one attempt by any one bad actor doesn’t succeed, that just leaves the rest better educated about what doesn’t quite work.

Waiting for? Or trying to cause?

A little of Column A, a lot of Column B…

I’m certain this already exists. It’s why Trumpists in Congress keep visiting Russia.

Seriously. He didn’t mention Jackson State, did he???

Even Orwell would be stunned.

This WaPo article is a good companion piece to ^ that one from CNN:

The CNN article has the video embedded on the page:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/12/politics/dc-police-officer-fanone-bodycam-footage-cnntv/index.html

Marine Corps officer is first known active-duty service member charged in Capitol riot:

Hmmmmm…what does the UCMJ say about the punishment for treason?

If he was active duty, I’d the think the military would assert jurisdiction over his case at some point and do a court martial.

If they do, his General Court Martial could include violations of Articles 88, 94, 116, 119, 128, 129, 133 and 134(multiple).

He’s fucked.

You’d think someone who’d made it to the rank of Major in the USMC might have developed a certain level of common sense and self-control. But apparently not.

Good.

On the upside, I don’t think he needs to worry about losing his military pension. Leavenworth will provide all his needs for the next 20-40 years.

No. I wouldn’t.

I would. Now we’re just arguing about where that level is vs where it ought to be. :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I fear (and who knows, maybe the Trumpists are hoping for this, or trying to provoke it) is someone getting so angry or frustrated that they react violently.

That way lies paralysis. The Constitution must be upheld, and democracy protected, and sedition punished, and the lawful authority of the United States vindicated, no matter who gets pissed off by it.

For every one who had the balls to actually riot on the Capitol steps on a day when the outcome of such an insurrection was so obviously futile, how many others are there who thought about it, or would do it under the right circumstances? That’s the scarier question.

Part of me is frustrated that nobody has been put on trial yet (right?) but then I think maybe they should take it slow. A string of convictions in the fall of 2022 might help some elections. I don’t want the authorities to purposefully delay the trials; they just don’t need to make it the highest priority.