704 Hauser Street

For some reason the series 409 Hauser Street popped into my mind. This was a semi follow-up to All in the Family where an African American family moves into the Bunker house.

I remember seeing the first episode but it is all pretty hazy. John Amos plays the liberal father who has a conservative son. From what I have found the first episode is available on one of the All in the Family DVD releases but that is it.

I really would like to see the series because I think it’s more relevant now than when it was made. Sadly, it doesn’t look like it’s available anywhere other than a few random clips on YouTube.

it didn’t last long enough … i think it had maybe 5 aired episodes and was considered to be an all in the family ripoff by the critics …

As nightshadea’s link indicates, it was 704 Hauser Street (and why did my brain immediately say “Hey, that’s not the Bunkers’ address!” when I saw 409?)

i remeber the show caused some bitterness between amos and reiner also …

Oops!

There was also a black Odd Couple show featuring Ron Glass and I want to say Demond Wilson? Don’t remember the name, or was it “The New Odd Couple”?

I’m currently binging All in The Fam.

One strange thing I’ve noticed is that the outside shot of the house in the closing credits is a duplex. But in the show, they clearly live in a single home dwelling.

Yes and yes.

I preferred Black Frasier.

The one line I vaguely remember from the series:

(father) “I can’t be racist - I’m black!”
(conservative son) “Tell the Koreans that!”

Although “New” was in the title, I wouldn’t quite call it that; the first episode was pretty much a word-for-word remake of one from the original series (Felix inadvertently gets Oscar audited by the IRS after they call in Felix because he forgot to sign his check), and another one was from the first version but with all of the opera references removed.

I recall the first few episodes being essentially remakes of the original show. However, I also remember them deviating from the Tony Randall, Jack Klugman after a few shows. While Randall’s character never got over his ex, Glass on the other hand had an episode where he and his ex talked things out and he realized it was over and both moved on. To me that was a nice change and I wish the series lasted longer to see more of what developed for those versions of the characters.

[Moderating]

I’ve edited the title to reflect the actual title of the show.

The house in the credits is not a duplex ,which is a single house on a single lot with two living units. It’s a semi-detached house which shares a wall with a separate house on a separate lot* - kind of like the end house of a group of row-houses. But I’ve seen people say this before, and I can’t figure out what about the show makes it seem that they live in a detached house.

• I know this because I live about 5 minutes away, and it is a very common type of house in NYC

704 Hauser street could be in Brooklyn, but not Queens. The house would have a hyphenated adress (like the house used in the credits, 89-70 Cooper Ave.) that indicates the cross street and the house number. It would have to be long freaking block to have a house numbered 704. Not that it matters.

Maybe it’s supposed to be 70-4 and Norman Lear wanted a number that doesn’t appear strange to the rest of the country.

Thanks for that.

I think I watched the pilot episode, but that was it. From my memory of it…

The father gives his son some mild grief over dating a white Jewish girl, the son gives some back. They go to the clothing shop the gf’s family owns and a scene happens when the father gets pissed because he suspects the shop clerk of shadowing him because he’s black, while the son says he overreacted to nothing.

The gf later brings over a copy of the store’s security video, and shows that not only was the father probably right, but the clerk was paying so much attention to him that she missed the upper-class white customer stealing a bunch of merchandise.

The video then showed that after the father stormed out the shop, the son came back in to apologize to the clerk. The dad (and I think the gf too) saw this as a major betrayal. I don’t remember how, or if, this was resolved.

All in all, it wasn’t a bad show.