8 1/2 X 11 ?

How did the standardization of typing/computer paper as 8 1/2 X 11 occur and who was responsible for the implimentation of this? Is this now a standard world wide?

IIRC, the reason for the 8 1/2 x 11 standard is that this is one fourth of the 22 x 17 sheets used in the old style printing presses.
(Or maybe they used 44 x 34, but it is some multiple that can be achieved by cutting in equal pieces)

This is still the standard in the US, but the rest of the world uses metric sizes, with A4 being the closest equivalent to the US letter size.

Check out http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html
for information on the international standards.

11 x 17. Half of 17 is 8 1/2.

It’s close enough to 210x297mm, which is the size used in the rest of the world.

As defined by ISO216.

Arrrrgh! You have hit upon a pet peeve of mine, so forgive me for the minor hijack that will give the thread a bit of BBQ flavor.

Can we all just use one size! I often get files emailed from overseas offices, and every damn time I print them I forget to change the paper size from A4 to 8.5x11 and have to start over. Minor, yes, but still annoying.

And I don’t mean it like [squints eyes] “them foreigners and their funny paper sizes!” [/squints eyes] I have no emotional attachment to either paper size, but let’s just pick one!

(and then move on to electrical outlets, cell phone systems, VHS tapes,and whatever other multiple standards exist).

Okay, rant over. We will now return to our regularly scheduled General Question.

I don’t have the link handy, but Cecil wrote and article about this.

…And it’s right here.