8*(1024^3) + panthera pardus + 5h = :)

Yep! My computer is now running under Mac OS X 10.5, and it now has another gig of RAM as well. :slight_smile:

After work, I went downtown and bought another gigabyte of RAM for my MacBook Pro, and I also got the Leopard upgrade. I went to Beamscope (formerly CPUsed), where I had bought the computer four months ago. I was half-expecting lineups and crowds, but the store was nearly deserted; I was one of maybe three customers. I was in and out in fifteen minutes, including the time it took the salesperson to locate the RAM in the back room.

The RAM is on a small circuit board a little wider than my thumb. It fits in a slot underneath the computer; you remove the battery, then remove three screws and gently pull up a thin metal plate. You insert the RAM on an angle, then gently press it down onto the holder. Then you replace the cover plate, screws, and battery.

The only glitch in adding the RAM was finding a screwdriver small enough to fit in the screws: they’re crosshead, but smaller than the #0 Phillips drivers found in those cheap little “precision” screwdriver sets (the convenience store across the road is selling them for a dollar; how precise can they be?) I ended up using the very small slothead screwdriver to turn them. It was the only thing thin enough to fit in the slots.

After I added the RAM, I turned the computer back on and checked About the Mac: yes, 2 GB or RAM was indicated. :slight_smile: First task passed.

Next: backing up my data.

I had about 40 gigabytes of data on the 120-gig drive in the computer, plus a 120-gig external USB drive with 60 gigs free. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the hard drive over to a new disk image residing in the free space on the external drive. This took about two hours.

Installing the new OS:

Once my data was saved, I put the Mac OS X 10.5 “Leopard” DVD in the MacBook Pro’s disc drive. It opened a window; after reading the documentation there, I clicked on the “install” icon. The computer rebooted, and the installer began.

I chose the hard drive to install to–there was only one choice–and selected the default “upgrade” install. This took about two hours. After another reboot, 10.5 was there.

The upgrade option preserved all my data; my familiar icons came up on screen, my email and programs and pretty much everything was still there.

Some things were apparently rejected as being incompatible: when I started the upgraded version of the native Mail application, it complained that the “JunkMatcher” auxiliary “bundle” was incompatible with 10.5, but after that it functioned fine. It converted all my stored email to its new format, then presented it to me.

FireFox started as normal.

When I opened the Finder, the directory/folder icons had a different appearance, but all the directories I had put in the sidebar were still there. Coverflow is bneat for looking at the contents of directories.

iTunes found my music on the external drive without problem.

The Terminal app now has tabs. :slight_smile:

There were a few oddities, though.

The system came up with my selected background on my large external monitor, and the default “space” background on the laptop’s own screen. I still need to fix this.

The WACOM tablet driver didn’t seem to be operating, and the system wasn’t scaling the area of pointer movement on the screen properly to the area of the tablet. Heading over to the WACOM site, I discovered a new version of the driver, dated 10 September, was available. I installed it, and suddenly my pointer was swooping around both of my screens.

I also found the Carbon Copy Cloner installer and app file s in the Trash. I don’t * think* put them there… but then looking closely at things, I saw that there had been an update to the app earlier, and it was the old app file and the new update file in the Trash. No problem.

So far, it looks good! It seems faster, too, though that may be due to the doubling of RAM.

I’m going to have to get another external drive for use with the system backup utility “Time Machine”, though.

Ummm… hurray?

Minor program-related update…

I had to re-download The Gimp and Inkscape.

These two programs need the X11 windowing system to run on Mac OS. I had installed the XCode tools, so either I got X11 with them or it was retained from before. I had to install X11 separately on 10.4 when I first wanted to use The Gimp and Inkscape.

Neo-Office seems to be working well.

Codeweavers Crossover comes up, but I can’t seem to start my old Windows Dreamweaver 4 under it. I suspect a new version will be needed there. I paid for Crossover, so there sould be an update soon.

I’d like to get Leopard installed on my MacBook, but freaking Apple didn’t get the OS shipped in time to my school bookstore. So I ponied up the cash for it last night (at $89) and will hopefully get it Monday. At this point, however, I’m going to wait for my RAM and the hard drive enclosure (I’ve got an unused 120-gig 3.5" drive and buying a good enclosure is still a quarter of the price of buying a new external drive) to come in from Newegg and will install the RAM and back up the hard drive first. I plan on using the external drive for the music and such (not a lot, but 10 gigs is still a lot on an 80 gig drive) and use a big partition for Time Machine. I’ll probably also partition the MacBook internal drive to use the same install of Windows for both Boot Camp and Parallels since there have been several times recently I wished I could run XP natively instead of virtualizing. (Most of the time virtualization is fine but there are times I need the whole system.)

Speaking of HTML editors, I downloaded the Java version of Arachnophilia (the .jar file), stuck it in a directory (I createde a java directory under /Applications), opened Automator to make a workflow, entered the launch command for Arachnophilia (java -jar /Applications/java/Arachnophilia.jar) into a ‘Run shell script’ action, saved the action as an app, and now I have a little app that will launch Arachnophilia!

I like the Mac. There’s no way I could have done that under Windows without a lot more research.

I was about to do this, when I read the instructions. It seems that Boot Camp needs the Windows to be an SP2 install disc, and mine isn’t. I updated it massively after installation on my old PC. So I will have to get a new SP2 disc and install that. Oh well. Not this week.