9 Chickweed Lane

None of the first year strips mention it. Book #2 should arrive this afternoon, so I’ll see if it’s mentioned in those. I seem to recall the same thing.

The problem with his musings is that his main characters are defined by their flaws to such an extent that they are nearly all flaws in their presentation. Edda is a gossipy, TMI-spouting, vain little airhead who finds people doing “lesser” (non-Art) jobs to be soulless drudges, and who finds it literally painful to keep a juicy secret, regardless of the outcome of telling it. Her mother is a vicious, sex-obsessed harpy who taught her daughter how to dominate their bookish, whipped Author Self-Insert men with sex appeal (including flashing skin at inappropriate times to keep the men appropriately brainless and drooling) and who keeps others in line with sneering and nastiness. Seth is a stereotypical gay man (He’s into the arts! He’s insanely handsome and buff! He insists on designing for Edda’s eventual nuptials! He cheats on his boyfriend - but with a girl because she’s a Creature of Pure Art so that fits the author’s standards of That Which Is Right!) who apparently exists to be Edda’s Sidekick.

Edda’s gran was mostly just a crotchety old bitch until the WWII storyline, which also showed her to be a traitor to the Allied Forces; Kiesl told her that he knew why she was there and that if they didn’t serve up some info, she’d have to leave and he couldn’t [del]fuck[/del] sing with her, so he’d better say some things. Her hormones overrode her brains and she didn’t report what happened, so God knows how much bullshit she fed to the Allies just because she found a Being of Pure Art.

I get the feeling that those suggesting an abortion were merely pleading for her to show that her brain does function for things other than dancing and manipulating Amos into a frenzy of mindless lust.

Not a fan, I take it?

It went from interesting to trainwreck around the time Edda got out of high school and went to The City.

I consider myself a fan, but everything he wrote is spot on accurate.

Or for just some author to have the courage have a character have one. But I wouldn’t expect that from Brooke. But then, my opinion of him is rather low.

Does anyone have the author’s email address?

OK, even if she is not Catholic, an abortion storyline in the comics section of a family newspaper would still be politically incorrect.

Perhaps she will have the baby and give it up for adoption, but Funky Winkerbean has been there, done that.

Edda’s preggers? And so it begins…

I seem to remember a strip MANY years ago, where it was hinted that Edda and Amos were destined to have MANY kids together - something like Amos was forgetting to tell her something really important, then they flashed forward to many years in the future, surrounded by about ten kids, and Amos saying “now I remember!” Kind of surprising seeing a comic hinting at a charcters strong fertility (and this was before they’d graduated/left school early to pursue their dreams in the City, and started doing the Hand Jive).

Confirmed that she isn’t Catholic. The second collection arrived today, and there is a strip that references Edda going to confession just to fuck with the priest.
Mentally, you pervs.

There’s a gmail address in his blog.

Thanks, Lute!

The comments section on I think its comics.com under 9 Chickweed Lane has long been disabled. Doesn’t the artist want comments, or were there just too many coming in?

Too many, I think. That and people kinda bitched a lot when he went on the year-long sidetrack about Edie and Bill and Peter.

Not to mention those who were all “a hot chick like Edda would never get with nerdy Amos”.

Quite welcome.

Rereading the first 2 years worth of strips has been a hoot. I’d forgotten how “fall-down funny” the early strips could be. I find myself missing Sister Caligula and the rest of the penguins. The strip had to move on and evolve, of course, but it’s nice to finally have some of the old stuff collected and back in print.

My money is on Edda not being pregnant at all. Whether or not the symptoms point to something else is another story.

Too many that were too critical.

This explains why she hasn’t taken a pregnancy test. If she did that and it was negative, the storyline would be all over.

Amenorrhea (absence of menstruation) is actually common among ballerinas because they exercise so much and perhaps have eating disorders as well.