'99 Jeep Cherokee cold-start problem

If it does, and the starter doesn’t turn, it’s probably a bad starter motor, or bad starter relay.

The thing is, it started right up with the booster. (I’ve ordered one, BTW.)

That’s interesting.
Where did he clamp the connectors? Could be a bad ground cable.

I was inside the Jeep, so I didn’t see. I assume he just clamped them to the posts.

Do you have a voltmeter?

I’m sure there’s a multimeter around here somewhere.

So I went out and got most of the snow off. I tried to start it and heard a click. I turned the fan off so I could hear better (not that the fan was loud) and turned the key. It started. I shifted into 4WD(H) and made a couple of circles and then drove down the block and back.

Intermittent problems can be hard to diagnose…

Have we talked about this vehicle before? Wasn’t/isn’t it exposed to salt air? ISTR talking about bad grounds and corroded connections. Could that still be an issue – like to your solenoid, starter, and/or ground for your NEG side of your battery?

If something’s shorting to ground, bad things can happen.

Well, the Jeep started yesterday; and it started a couple of times today. One thing: I’m sure the new battery is a help, just based on generalities.

I did order a lithium battery booster box that will be here next week. Of course, we’re expecting much higher temperatures over the weekend. But my MO is to buy things to solve things, and then I never need the solutions.