A Baba O'Reilly Thread or What's the name of that song?

Even though the actual words aren’t in the song, it is an extremely good and thorough description of what the song is about :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s always the case for Joy Division - some of the biggest hits aren’t (Love Will Tear Us Apart, She’s Lost Control, Transmission), but spot-on for New Order (Blue Monday (How Does It Feel), Bizarre Love Triangle (Everytime I see You Falling), True Faith(I Used To Think That The Day Would Never Come))

But they use the title throughout the song…

The Smith have done this a bit - Shakespeare’s Sister(But I am Going To Meet The One I Love), London(Do You Think You’ve Made The Right Decision This Time), *How Soon Is Now(*I Am The Son And The Heir), Paint A Vulgar Picture(At The Record Company Party), Half a Person(16, Clumsy & Shy), Rusholme Ruffians (Last Night At The Fair)

Well, my generation had “Good Riddance” (I Hope You Had the Time of Your Life) by Green Day.
Quite a few Smashing Pumpkins titles weren’t used in the chorus, such as “Cherub Rock” (Who Wants Honey?), “Zero” (She’s the One for Me), etc.

Another whose title never appears in the song is “Annie’s Song,” by John Denver. No, it is not called, “You Fill Up My Senses.”

Speaking of the Grateful Dead, for years I thought “Touch of Gray” was called I Will Survive.

Also, The End is the Beginning is the End and Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

Everyone knows Metallica’s Welcome Home (Sanitarium) as just Sanitarium.

About half the songs by MCR, Panic or Fall Out Boy make no mention of the words in the title in the song, and even then usually don’t contain the exact phrase.

Which reminds me of Danny’s Song - Kenny Loggins. “Even though we ain’t got money” song. There are probable several (put name here) song.

Even though the title is used in the lyrics, Michael Penn’s No Myth sounds like it should be called Someone To Dance With.

I always think of it as “Chain of Love” (is that even the lyrics at the end of the chorus?)

Illinois Central? You mean Without Love?

Also, She Has Funny Cars, by Jefferson Airplane turns out to be that And I Know song.

Though 12 x 35 = 420. :-x

Woah.

Is this a whoosh? Otherwise that’s a misheard lyric in Purple Haze.

It was a joke- it’s a double example, since everyone thinks the name of the song is Excuse Me While I Touch The Sky, except the people who mishear the lyric, and think the name of the song is Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy.

Led Zeppelin were notorious for song titles that did not appear, or made only a cameo appearance, in the lyrics… probably the best-known is “The Immigrant Song”.

It was only a few years ago that I made the amazing discovery that that Fleetwood Mac mega-hit about seeing your reflection in the snow covered hills is called “Landslide”. (Another, much earlier, Mac example is “Oh Well (Pt. 1 & 2)”.)

Then there’s Stevie Wonder’s “Sir Duke”, which is not titled “You Can Feel It All Over”.

Or Santana’s “Everybody’s Everything” … not sure what I might think the title was, maybe “Time for You to All Get Down”…

Kashmir, too.

I’ve never heard that song called anything other than Purple Haze. Prolly why I didn’t get the joke. That and most of my friends are really into music from that era.

Good. Now make with the inheritance, grandpa. :wink:

I thought of another one. Bound For The Floor by Local H doesn’t have many lyrics, but none of them are the title. You may know it as the “And you just don’t get it, you keep it copacetic” song.