A Baba O'Reilly Thread or What's the name of that song?

Ode to Joy (by L. v Beethoven, lyrics by J.C.F v Schiller) doesn’t contain the phrase “Ode to Joy” in it.

In the original, it doesn’t appear to have any English words in it at all.

I came in to mention that “You Don’t Have To Go” song that they do, which is titled “D’yer Mak’er”, and which is pronounced “Jer Maker”, NOT “Dye-er Maker”! (Pet peeve of mine. Argh! DJs ought to know better!)

“Sure as the dust that floats up high in June, when moving through Kashmir”

I still don’t know if that Chuck Berry song is called “C’est la Vie” or “You Never Can Tell”

LOL. My generation gonna rock the retirement home with Hendrix and Led Zep. We shall tie dye our hospital gowns and get high sniffing the adhesive for our dentures.
:smiley:

I remember a few guys back in college who weren’t as familiar with Hendrix who thought the title of the song was “Kiss the Sky”

Reminded by the “Two Princes”/Spin Doctors mentioned above. For some reason a lot of people think the song “Roll to Me” was by the Spin Doctors. It even turns up in YouTube and lyric searches that way and Wikipedia makes a note of the common mis-attribution. But usually the song is referred to as “Pretty Baby” despite the fact that Del Amitri use the lyrics “roll to me” repeatedly in the chorus.

People always think Regulate by Warren G and Nate Dogg is called “Regulators” 'cause they shout it at the beginning.

Little Guitars by Van Halen. Catch as Catch?

There’s also “For What It’s Worth” by Buffalo Springfield. If I didn’t know that was its name, I’d probably call the song “What’s that Sound” or something.

Good one.

Another one from Dylan is “Ballad of a Thin Man”–I remember trying to find the LP with “Mister Jones” on it.

So now I’m trying to think of the earliest pop hit that had a title not appearing in the lyrics. (Songs without lyrics don’t count, of course!) So far the earliest definite one I’ve come up with is “A Lovers’ Concerto” (1965). I’m sure there are earlier ones (for example, I bet the well-known 1961 version of “The Christmas Song”, often referred to as “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire”, was a hit), but I’m thinking more along the lines of “teen-oriented” or “rock & roll” hits.

How about Chuck Berry, “Let It Rock” (1960)?

How about “Ain’t That America” by John Cougar Mellencamp…really it’s “Little Pink Houses.”

How many other people sang the lyrics of “Elderly Woman…” until you found the first “the”? after reading this thread?

Karn Evil by EL&P. (“Welcome to the show”)

Another CCR one - I always thought “Favourite Son” was called “It ain’t me”

"Don’t Forget the Lyrics" is screening over here at the moment - I’m learning so muh from it! :slight_smile:

Since Space Oddity and For What It’s Worth are taken already…

a) That Joni Mitchell number about “fumbling deaf dumb and blind” and “laughing it all away”? Is “People’s Parties”

b) When Kate Bush is singing about “Some say that knowledge is something that you never have, some say that knowledge is something sat in your lap” and heaven is hell and so on, you might be forgiven for not guessing that the track title is “Sat in your Lap”

c) What’s that Tori Amos number that starts off chasing tomatoes and explodes into rockin-your-papoose harpsichord? It’s called “Talula”???

d) As long as we’re doing Tori, can’t forget her standing before naked before us and asking if we dont want more than her sex, declaring she can scream as loud as the last one, right? Name of song? Leather. FYI.

e) When Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane) suggests that you Go Ask Alice about the pill that makes you smaller, where is that suggestion to be found? “White Rabbit”.

f) Janis Joplin goes on “whoa, lordy, whoa whoa” and promises to rock ya alright, what’s that song? Whooooah, whoa whoo we’re gonna knock it an dsock it to you ya in a song named… “Combination of the Two” ??

The name Talula does show up a few times in the chorus though. What it has to do with chasing tornadoes I have no idea.

Two more:

MLK, by U2
2HB, by Roxy Music

You’re thinking of Fortunate Son, which Fogerty does say at least once IIRC, but up to now I always thought it was called Fortunate One, which he repeats consistently. Senator’s son…fortunate one…millionaire son…fortunate one…fortunate son…

Speaking of Jefferson Airplane, there’s also White Rabbit, an appropriately named song with no mention of the title or chorus, even. Feed your head!

As for Zep, there’s also Bron-y-aur Stomp: “my, my…lawdy law, come on now it ain’t too far.”

Then there’s Pink Floyd. Off the top of my head, Brain Damage: “The lunatic is in the grass…”

Ooh! Ooh!

Unchained Melody

Viva La Vida, by Coldplay.

Yes, and that’s how you know I’m gay.

The 90s were quite big on this.

Let’s see from Nirvana:

Smells Like Teen Spirit
In Bloom
Lithium
Territorial Pissings
Drain You
Sliver

Stone Temple Pilots:
Interstate Love Song
Plush
Sex Type Thing

Smashing Pumpkins (already mentioned)
Siva
Rhinoceros
Crush
Cherub Rock
Geek U.S.A.
Mayonnaise
Thirty-three
(a bunch of already mentioned tracks off MCIS)
Eva Adore (although the word “adore” is sung in the first line)

Green Day’s “Basket Case” and “Brain Stew”
James’s “Laid”
Live’s “Selling the Drama”
Blur’s “Song 2”
Radiohead’s “Paranoid Android”
Everclears’ “Santa Monica”
Faith No More’s “Epic”
REM’s “Pop Song 89” (okay these last two are late 80s)

And a lot more I’m forgetting…