A Baba O'Reilly Thread or What's the name of that song?

You are absolutely right. I even got the wrong name wrong.

raises hand

Another is Kyu Sakamoto’s “Sukiyaki”, a word that does not appear in the all-Japanese lyrics (trust me on this one). The song made #1 in the U.S. in 1963, knocking Lesley Gore’s “It’s My Party” out of the top spot, for which Sakamoto should have received the Nobel Prize.

That’s “Excuse Me While I KISS The Sky”…

Kiss this Guy is a “Mondragreen”, and there are at least three published book son this…oops,got off track…

Don’t any of these people listen to the DJ who announces the name of the song?

Maybe it’s because I’m old, but if you named those songs, I could probably sing either the chorus or the first few lines.

I think most folks know “Rock & Roll, Part 2” as “Hey!”

You can add “Emily’s Song” by the Moody Blues (“and in the morning of my life, and in the evening of my day…”), and “Michelle’s Song” by Elton John (“No one’s going to find us, no matter how they try…”). Two major faves of mine.

I just remembered:

System of a Down’s B.Y.O.B. (“la la la la la la la la…dancin’ in the desert blowing up sunshine”) and Chop Suey! (“you wanted to…”).

Just heard Simon & Garfunkel’s If I Only Could. Only it’s El Condor Pasa.

That reminds me - Green Day’s Longview is a great example, too (“Bite my lips and close my eyes, take me away to Paradise”).

I can understand the misheard lyric. What I can’t understand is someone thinking that the name of the song is that particular lyric misheard or not.
Read the lyrics The phrase Purple Haze appears 8 times, scuse me while I kiss the sky appears just once. :rolleyes:

“Sukiyaki” is the English name of the song entitled “Ue o muite aruko” in Japanese. The Japanese title is in fact the first line of the song, which is a pensive love song that has nothing to do with food. Calling it “Sukiyaki” in the US makes about as much sense as exporting the Carpenters song “Yesterday Once More” to Japan and calling it “Hamburger”.

I remember Sukiyaki being sung by a two girl funk band in the '70s. At the end they did whisper ‘sukiyaki’ at the end.

Now I can’t remember the name of the band. Both women played guitars. Um, waitaminit–

(search. . . search. . .search)

Ah, Taste of Honey.

Louise’s Song by Stan Rogers and
Kathy’s Song by Simon and Garfunkel

A question on El Condor Pasa— I think I remember it as a theme for some spaghetti western. I’m not sure because any spaghetti western I watch is under threat of the silent treatment from hubby, who loves them. So, is it a theme in a Western?

I remember being endlessly confused as a child in the '70s by adults who called Scott Joplin’s “The Entertainer” by the name “The Sting”. I was in my late 20s before I discovered that the song was used as the theme for a '70s movie called “The Sting”. Similarly, those who called “Mrs. Robinson” “The Graduate”.

And of course, the song title is a play on an old joke:

Man #1: So the wife and I took a Carribbean vacation…
Man #2: Jamaica? (D’yer Mak’er?)
Man #1: No, she wanted to go.

The proper translation of the actual Japanese title works out to “I Look Up While I Walk”. It’s actually a song about lost love; the title line in the song says, “I look up while I walk so my tears don’t fall”.

This was a cover version of the Japanese original, with very-loosely translated English lyrics. The word they whisper at the end is “Sayonara”.

Japanese original by Kyu Sakamoto
English cover by A Taste of Honey

The Beatles - A Day in the Life
Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street

Another Led Zep example is Black Dog or Hey hey mama said the way you move/ gonna make you sweat, etc…" No real chorus or repeated phrases really to confuse everyone. Title refers to the dog that kept drifting in and out of the house they were recording in.

:smack: I just now got that song title. 30 freakin’ years, and I’ve been thinking “Who is Karn? He must be the evil Orwellian overlord of the circus that they are singing about…” :smack:

It’s “the gambler” not “you got to know when to hold em”. Although the gambler is mentioned in the song, so maybe that doesn’t count.