A Beary Special MMP

It was beastly, unbearably hot and humid this weekend. For the first time in my life, Monday couldn’t get here fast enough. It was over 105F inside my house. I don’t know how hot it really was, the thermometer doesn’t go that high. :eek: I was really afraid yesterday that I was going to lose both cats. Both of them were panting like dogs, so into the sink they went for a cold bath. The scary thing was that they didn’t fight it very much. I kept putting ice in their water and giving them cold baths and icing their hot little feet down. I put down ice packs for them to lay on, and that seemed to help. However, Skunk, the little beast, has decided that he no longer recognizes LaKeisha and hisses and growls at her constantly. He’s only lived with her for the past 10 years. :rolleyes: She ignores him for the most part, and there’s been no actual fighting.

It’s been hot as hell, but finally cooled off last night around midnight. So what does my intrepid neighbor decide? Why, this would be a good time to run his tablesaw. At midnight on a Monday morning. The only really surprising thing is that the screaming neighbors haven’t been, even in the heat. I wonder if they’re on vacation?

Nope. Nikita (who has no claws) has gotten scratched on her ear and nose… and still hasn’t learned not to chase Lily (who does have claws) and back her into a corner. Lily’s a 'fraidy cat but, if she gets cornered, she will fight back. So the smart thing to do would be to give her space and not chase her into the corner. But Nikita hasn’t figured that out yet. So she gets wolloped occasionally. :rolleyes:

I’m all for letting them sort it out themselves. But not at 4:30 a.m. :mad:

What prompts cats to do this? For the last three or four months, Khan has decided that Sirius, rather than an annoying little upstart he’s been living with for three years, is suddenly an invader, and a scary one, at that. Khan pretty much lives on the kitchen counter these days, and growls at anything feline that comes near him.

I know I’m going to print these all out and paste them in an albumin.

They’re cats - who knows? In fact, I firmly believe that the last thing everyone who spontaneous combusts says is something like “Oh, so that’s the reason for that!” (Usually about women, but I can easily see it apply to cats also.)

Same thing happened with Evil Fat Scarlett and Cuervo. When the little guy was new, she was the one we thought we adapt to him the best. In fact, here she’s even tolerating him eating from her bowl. Not all too thrilled, but tolerating nonetheless.

Sometime after he got to be about 5 months old, that all changed dramatically. There is a pure, solid hatred for him now, which he respects by never going into a room she’s in. Like Lily, he’s a love, not a fighter, but he has the claws, so when they do mix it up there’s a lot of Scarlett left on the carpeting.

Hmm. Cats generally respond to smell, so I can understand if, for example, Cuervo’s hormones changed around 5 months and he smelled different. As to the changes that happen after years and years? You got me.

I think it’s that they’ve both been bathed in water, so Keisha smells different. Skunk is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, either. But they’re cats, who knows? I’m going home at lunch to check on them and if it’s too hot, I’m bringing them to work with me for the rest of the day. If I do that, I promise I’ll take pictures.

That’s what the vet said it was. He smelled different as he matured. He smelled like a mature male and that was “threatening” to her.

Hullo! Happy Monday - this is a drive-by, since I’m on my way to be tortured, stretched, zapped, iced, and otherwise physically therapied. Too bad I’m not into pain…

Had my mid-term review with my new boss and he seems satisfied that I’m a competent professional. HAH! Fooled him!! :smiley:

Nice OP, Spats, but you realize you’ve said too much. Don’t be alarmed when those guys with the dark glasses and the ear pieces appear at your door. Go with them quietly. I understand it won’t hurt near as much as physical therapy… :wink:

The eggs and buttermilk are for the cornbread. I thought that would be obvious people. :stuck_out_tongue:

The meatloaf is baking away. I bought cabbage and carrots to steam together. I have a big steamer thingy. I cut the cabbage and carrots up in chunks, add water to the steamer and steam away. In about 25-20 minutes I have nice nummy steamed veggies. I bought a key lime cheesecake just cause it looked good. I tend toward impulse buying.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had an appointment to get my eyes examed this morning. They have not changed in the past 25 years. They’re still brown. HAH! I use glasses for driving but not for reading or computerin’ and stuff. Anyways, I’ve had the same pair of glasses for like 15 years so I decided maybe I should get new ones, so I got a 'script. I now have new glasses from Lenscrafters. Oh, and they had this special thing going so I ordered a pair of perscription sunglasses which I will get next week. Also, the stoopid Department of Driver Services is not opened on Mondays, so now I have to go back to town tomorrow just to get my license renewed. Stoopid DDS!

Cornbread comes in that blue/white box from Jiffy. Everybody knows that, silly **swampsy!
:wink:

The Leylime Cheesecake sounds like a winner, save some and bring it here for leftovers, but I call dibs before the rest of this gang starts another food fight.

Did someone say “food fight”? evil grin

FOOOOOD FIIIIIGHT!!!

:: lobs pies at Jahdra, Sean, and ShibbOleth ::

I read this as the Department of Driver Sciences, and actually hit the reply button to make fun of that. Instead, I’ll just point out to you all how I can’t really read. :slight_smile:

As my mother said this weekend, “Sometimes I amaze myself with how smart I am … in between being so stupid.”

URRRRGGGGHHH!!! Yet another SNAFU for the client that shall henceforth be referred to as “The Jinxed One.” Can our vendors not read? The purchase order said the video copies were needed TODAY…July 24. Is there some way that could be more clear? :stuck_out_tongue: That’s IT!! Imma gonna go home and cook some poke chops and roast NOTs (comfort food)

Y’all can carry on now. And clean up this mess!!! :smiley:

Mmmm, pie! You can’t make a good pie without breaking some eggs, ya know.

So, I brought the cats in to work. You should have seen people’s faces when they heard the yowling. :eek: What the hell is that? Aw, kitty cats! However, between the food and the litter and the treats and the toys, oh, and the cats, I forgot the camera. That’s ok, though, if I took pictures of them now, you’d just see 2 pairs of eyes peeking from behind my printer. Silly Keisha tried to crawl under the printer cart, which has a clearance of 2 inches. Did I mention she’s part Maine Coon? I was afraid she was going to knock the printer over. They had a brief spat, but now they’re curled up together nice and snug. I told Skunk to behave or he could spend the afternoon in the carrier.

Hey, Spats, watch the pies! I’m armed and dangerous. I’ve got wet cat food. Would you prefer tuna with gravy or whitefish with gravy?

Afternoon all! I survied the flight in to Memphis and Greenville all right. I was stuck in the seat between the propellers from Memphis to Green vilee. The sound and vibration was kind of like having meth crazed bees stuffed in both ears. We had BBQ sandwisches Saturday and ribs, grilled corn, and baked taters(N.O.T.) on Sunday. My Aunt Mary evern brought pie(I sent her Weebl and Bob waayyy back)! Its not too hot here, 94 today. The only downside is the house’s sewer is jammed, so that the third person to flush gets an overflow.

spats Go NAD? That’s an awful yolk to make.

taxi, the cats will probably get used to each other. My cat has given up trying to kill an eat Wondermutt.

swamy I got the same deal from Lenscrafters. Of couse I hardly ever go outside so it’s not quite such a deal.

MBG Jiffy makes corn muffins not corn bread. Muffins are sweet, bread is not. Speaking of which, I just put it in the oven to cook. It should be done about the time ACBG gets here. He’ll be surprised. Dang, he’s lucky to have me. :smiley:

For the last time, I am not going back to Louisiana. I told my mother this, as she just called and asked me to come home again. I also asked her, again, to stop bringing this up. I doubt it will work, as it never did before.