A Beary Special MMP

I generally support the right to bare arms, but bear arms would look funny on me.

Hee hee, sorry, Spats! No, I am in the middle of drinking it now.
Ok, so Friday we headed out around 9:15 AM. I drove. Usually I drive until the Ramapo rest area (i think that’s the name of the one right before the Tappenzie) but this time I was feeling particularly alert, so I drove all the way into Queens and to the Sanrio store. I am proud of myself when I manage to drive in the City, even in the outskirts, without getting into an accident. I’ve gotten pretty good at changing my driving mode from “Upstate” to “NYC”. I even parallel-parked the car pretty darn nicely a block away from the store.

In the store I bought a pillow and a lamp, both Chococat-themed. When I get home I will take pictures and post them here.

We then continued on to LI and went to the Roosevelt Field Mall. There is a Minado restaurant nearby that I wanted to eat at. Minado is an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet, but their biggest speciality is SUSHI - about 1000 different types of sushi to try and sample. Well, unfortunately they were closed for the afternoon, and wouldn’t open again until 5 PM, and it was only 2:30 and we were hungry.

We ended up eating at this place called the Grand Lux…I was really impressed. It was decorated kind of like one of the Vegas Hotels (ah, Vegas) with a beautiful ornate ceiling and tiles and a gorgeous decor. The food was phenomenal, the service was better. We left an enormous tip, we were so happy.

Then we toured around Roosevelt Field Mall, and hit a couple of other places in Long Island - some of my SO’‘s old haunts when he was a kid. We saw the site of his parents’ old restaurant, and just generally enjoyed ourselves.

The last thing we hit before we went to his house was a Trader Joe’s. We don’t have this upstate, so far as I know, and basically it’s a pirate-themed semi-organic store. How cool is that? I bought a few small things there, then we headed on to his mom’s house.

We’d gone down there because she’d recently undergone abdominal surgery. It was clear that while she was feeling better now, she had recently been in a lot of pain…you could tell, the way she took everything very carefully. Any way we did our best to help her out and not be a burden, but I know she was happy to see us.

That night we watched some TV…since we don’t have cable, other people’s TVs are a treat. Then we watched The Living Daylights. Timothy Dalton, while cool, is NOT Bond. Then we also watched Shaun of the Dead, which I was really surprised by. I generally don’t like zombie movies or don’t care for them but this was really quite funny and witty.

Bed at 1:30, and I’ll talk about the fishing trip later.

Excellent job, rifty. But what’s not to like about bears??? They’re big and hairy and burly and faaaaabulous decorators… What? Oh, not that kinda bear… :o

We often get bears waltzing around the hood here. In fact, one strolled through the apartment complex where The Princess[sup]TM[/sup] now lives. And we’re talking about a densely populated urban area, too.

I wanna know about the steamed cabbidge, too, swampy. Just how DO you make it?

I made homemade beefaroni last night. There is about four gallons of the stuff left. I wunner iffen I can freeze some.

So far all’s quiet on the work front. Definitely won’t last.

Tupug

My neighbor in the big white house sells homegrown eggs, for $1.25/doz. They’re goooooood, too. I was putting them away Saturday night, when I hit the side of the refrigerator doorframe with my hand, smashing the egg that was in my hand.

The yolk was on me.

I guess you had egg on your face. :wink:

:: bows :: Thank you, thank you. Please, don’t applaud. Just throw money. :cool:

Apparently it’s Monday again. I certainly didn’t authorize that. Oh well. I guess that means I have to be productive or something. My weekend was sorta productive as well - I got some studying done on Saturday. Sunday I did nothing.

And just when you thought the puns were over …

Chew on that one, whydontcha.

My favorite part is how in the first half of the movie, Shaun’s going about his life, completely oblivious, while zombies reign in the streets behind him. :smiley:

Nice OP, Spats. It takes energy to pun for that long.

So, this weekend was the annual Girls’ Weekend in New York. Grandma, the three aunts, mom, and six of the eight granddaughters (and granddaughters-in-law). All that was missing was my cousin Lauren and my SIL. The plan is always shopping on Saturday, dinner, show, stay over in the hotel, shopping on Sunday morning, brunch, another show, and go the hell home.

Mom and I do not like shopping nearly as much as The Aunts and Cousins do. So we did our own thing and went to The Strand Bookstore, where we spent a lot of money and then had to lug all our books back to Times Square.

Saturday night we saw the new musical version of The Wedding Singer, which was really, really, reallyreallyreally good. I like the movie but I don’t love it, but the musical was about fifty times better. (And there was a suprise set-up marriage proposal from one audience member to another at the end.) Definitely recommended for anybody in the New York area. Sunday, after spending twenty frickin’ minutes standing in the hotel lobby and establishing that no plans had changed since we’d made them six weeks ago, Mom and I went to Madame Tussaud’s to kill a couple hours before brunch, where I actually said “excuse me” to some guy standing in my way before realizing that I was talking to a wax figure of Morgan Freeman. :smack: Then Mom made me do karaoke in the little American Idol studio (and she cried, which she always does when I sing–it’s not that bad), and we met the rest of the girls for lunch and headed out to a matinee of Hairspray, which I was totally underwhelmed by. Didn’t think the music was that great, didn’t think the staging or the dancing was anything special. The girl who played Penny (an understudy, at that) stole the show, and I was really disappointed because I enjoy the movie so much. But oh, well.

And my car didn’t get towed from the mall Park & Ride, so that was good, too. :slight_smile:

This just in, Roomie sent me this link. Now I have to go fix my makeup because I giggled until tears came.

Good story, Spats. Very Rue.

Morning! Do I want to see if I can go grocery shopping before work at 2? I think maybe I should. I think we have a lot of diverse food things in the fridge, but no milk, bread, eggs, or butter. A crisis situation.

Yesterday I almost passed out before work, and then went to work and felt horrible. I came home with a blinding headache, and went to bed. So far today I feel fine, so it wasn’t anything deadly.

A fellow went to his doctor complaining that his anus
was feeling terribly sore. The doctor asked him to drop
his drawers and bend over so he could take a look.

“It’s amazing!” the doctor said, as he pulled a $20 bill
from the fellow’s anus. Another $20 bill appeared behind
the first one, so the doctor pulled it out, too.

And then another! And another! And many more.

Finally, the doctor had pulled the whole pile of $20 bills
from the fellow’s ass, and began to count it. (I sure hope
that the doctor doesn’t lick his thumb when he counts money)

The doctor mentioned, “There was $1980 stuck in your anus!”

And the fellow replied, “I knew I wasn’t feeling TWO GRAND!”

Um, you know the back of my hand is sore from that compliment, right?

So, we have no more ants running around inside the house, thanks to the Porkin’ man (thanks, gotti, I missed that typo on Friday.)

And only half of the garage is clean. I had to move everything out onto the driveway, and it looked like it was going to rain, so I hurried through the job, doing as much as I thought I could do before the downpour - that never came. Good news is, if’n I ever want to sell something, I just have to put it in the driveway on a Saturday morning. Yard salers kept stopping by and asking how much various things out there cost.

Um, you know the back of my hand is sore from that compliment, right?

So, we have no more ants running around inside the house, thanks to the Porkin’ man (thanks, gotti, I missed that typo on Friday.)

And only half of the garage is clean. I had to move everything out onto the driveway, and it looked like it was going to rain, so I hurried through the job, doing as much as I thought I could do before the downpour - that never came. Good news is, if’n I ever want to sell something, I just have to put it in the driveway on a Saturday morning. Yard salers kept stopping by and asking how much various things out there cost.

Drae I don’t get the W-S-A-D shirt (although I’m thinking I should), but I definitely want the chemical symbol for caffiene.

I don’t get the WSAD either, but the “In Russia” shirt was what I was laughing about.

Huh. I am not going grocery shopping, as I have just been called in early.

We finished all available work on Saturday by 7. I spent Sunday being bored stupid (I reached the poetry reciting stage by 8 yesterday. My coworker got to hear some Emily Dickinson, Gerard Manley Hopkins, and T. S. Eliot. She didn’t seem grateful at being culturally enriched). I am bracing for eight hours of boredom.

Argh.

Good morning one and all. Very nice OP Spats.

I have nothing new to report. Well, I did oversleep, but I was only 10 minutes late to work. I’m usually 15 to 30 minutes early, so no biggie.

It’s still HOT, HOT, HOT here.

My friend is not doing very well. I’m doing my best to let her know she can count on me for everything she may need. She is here at work today, bless her, though I think she should have stayed home. She’ll be gone all next week because she’s leaving for the memorial and stuff on Sunday evening.

I’m very, very tired. I haven’t slept for shit the last few nights due to the heat. This is why I overslept this morning. Dammit, I hate when I do that.

Sigh…I am so ready to go home.

Well aware, thank you Sean.

WSAD refers to the use of those keys on the keyboard as a directional pad in various computer games. And that “in Russia” shirt is downright hilarious.

In other news, VBob hits the jackpot.

High praise! Thank you! :slight_smile:

You two really crack me up.

Okay, I’ve had enough. I declare the egg jokes to be ova.

I think they shell continue regardless.

OMG it got busy again at work. I got frustrated with the problem I was working on Friday afternoon so I left that for today and a fresh perspective. Plus I have the weekly Monday morning stuff. Plus another project from last week that had to wait until someone was back to answer questions on it. Plus two other projects from last week that I was waiting for feedback on. Plus some new daily reports that my boss wants me to start taking over. Yikes! And the “fresh perspective” on that first thing I mentioned… yeah, it’s not helping one bit. ::sigh::

Good weekend. We went to the Mpls farmers’ market on Saturday. It was really crowded, which isn’t something either of us like, and we can get the produce we want in other places anyway. So I don’t think we’ll be going back. They did have some cool-looking exotic produce, but I’m not interested enough in that to go back.

Yesterday afternoon we rented a kayak on a local lake and paddled around for a while. It was fun, but there was enough wind and current that we didn’t go where we wanted to go which was frustrating.

I’m tired this morning because it was hot last night. Which meant we needed the a/c on. Which is fine, but when it kicks on and off it wakes me up. Which we tried to mitigate by leaving the a/c’s fan on continually which helped. But we closed the bedroom door as usual to keep the cats separated. But that meant that the air didn’t circulate into the bedroom so it got stuffy. So I opened the door at like 2:30. So I was awoken to screeching cats at 4:30. ARGH!!! Why can’t we all just get along?

Still? They’re still not getting along? Yeesh.