A busted clutch shuts down a Navy ship

When I was learning to drive a stick I rode the clutch so badly that dad had to replace it twice. I guess the Navy has the same problem. :smack: :smiley:

They’re still relatively new ships. It takes a while to learn how they work. Sometimes, it’s called a “shakedown”.

:: shrug ::

Yeah. This is nothing new (unfortunately). New systems sometimes don’t seem to perform in the wild as well as expected in the drawing room.

The first battle-cruiser, HMS Invincible, was outfitted with electrically driven turret training [rotating] engines. They had lots of problems with shorts, and such, rending the turret stuck immobile.

So for five years, her turrets could not be relied upon as fully trustworthy! The whole purpose of a capital ship is to bring guns against the enemy :slight_smile:

“Gruber, get Tinker on that right away!”

For whom is that a career-limiting incident?

What, they don’t have chip detectors? :confused:

You forgot Invincible’s major claim to fame. Was hit by German shells at the Battle of Jutland and blew up catastrophically.

There were only six survivors out of a crew of 1,032 officers and men.

I think that is what the filters ended up being used for. Sounds to me like someone skipped the page in the manual requiring both power trains to be at the same rpm before transferring over. Engineers never heard of an interlock?

You know, it kind of reminds me of that scene in the Star Trek reboot where they can’t get the ship moving because Chekov forgot to shift it out of park. It would appear that he has an ancestor who was in charge of piloting a Yankee wessel.

What, they don’t have automatic transmission?

I’ll bet Navy ships lack heated seats and all-leather upholstery too. :mad:

Look, you get a new car you have to change the oil and filter pretty soon after you drive it off the lot because the rough edges in the moving internal parts get shaved off. It’s pretty easy and fairly inexpensive for an automaker to do destructive testing to determine how soon and how often to change oil and filters. Naval ships are another matter, there’s a lot of data that still has to be gathered for the final owner’s manual when the first couple of ship hit the ocean.

It says it uses water jet propulsion.

So no screws or propellers?

With a manual transmission and a clutch, the Navy reduces the chances that someone will ship-jack their new vessel.