A challenge: finding a fair review for L. Ron Hubbard’s educational books for kids

Used copies cost more than the new ones. :dubious:

They are due to arrive on Friday. Look for hilarious review on Saturday. :cool:

Awesome!

They probably have doctorates in “Education”. :rolleyes:

[Scieno Salesman]"I have no idea what you are talking about with this xemu story. You know, a lot of what you hear about the church is a lie, if you really want to find out about us you should come on down and see for youself, and anyway, the material itself doesn’t have anything to do with Scientology. What is important is does it work? Is it effective material? I can show you a school in Arizona that just adopted the tech, um, text, and it is being widely used! [/Scieno Salesman]

Oh, and it would be cool if you could give us some homework assignments from the books if they have any.

On the same order, I got “Borat”, “Idiocracy” and the Taschen “Little Nemo” collection. Talk about a theme order. :smiley:

Heh, yeah, I bet they would love for the kids to take a field trip to the local org and take the “personality” test, and then see the film.

Homework assignment:

1. Read Book.

2. What the fuck are you waiting for you piece of shit! Get BUSY! We have to clear the planet! Your stats are down! Do you want to be on RPF?

Well, I hope they don’t start off with the training routines, and make us scream at an ashtray.

“Get up. Sit down. Thank you.”

:smiley:

Bonus question. Who said the following:

And, OP, what are you paying for the books? They said it was a “discount”. I just bought a new one for $15. Did they charge you half off? Maybe $7.50? In that case you will pay $7.50 too much:

.01 (value of book as mulch or scrap) - .01 (educational value) - $7.50 (purchase price) = -7.50 (net loss)

My value of the books is higher, and thus I bought them, but only to add to my armamentum in the fight against the cult, and only after considering the pros and cons of actually buying the books from the cult, or from private sellers that were charging more for the used version. I mean, did the thing have LRH’s signature on it? If so, I would buy it for $25! :rolleyes:

Juvenile diabetes or body thetans? “It’s only true if it’s true for you!”

:Sigh:

With friends like this who needs enemies! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I know that many don’t bother to check back when a new page appears in a thread so this is needed:

Really, I thought you would get it by now but it seems that I have to telegram everything:

1. Kindly refrain from saying that I’m responsible for this, I’m only an advisor here. By this time repeating that I’m responsible for all this is becoming insulting.

2. I seem to get that you think that I have a lot of power here, even though I asked for permission to do an inquire of this kind, your “poisoning of the well” here (And I have to report I’m sympathetic of dismissing Scientology) has prevented me from pointing at this thread as the reference, hence my request for a different site to point them now.

3. Arizona is a Right to Work state, even if I asked for permission I see now that I’m risking a lot to prevent Scientology from being considered here. So unless you are willing to pay for my upkeep if they fire me, kindly refrain from implying that I’m not making an effort to prevent Scientology from getting in over here.

4. And even though I wonder now why I should, I’m still willing to say that I thank you for your efforts on getting more information regarding these “text” books.

I’ve found an article that says that a lot of the language in “Learning How to Learn” is essentially an introduction to the Scientology lingo and follows the same pattern to reach understanding in reading as a practitioner uses to reach spiritual understanding.

Texts Highlighting Scientology’s Role in Education

The fact that the “techniques” described by Hubbard seem to be made up out of thin air and have a strong resemblance to his religious techniques would worry me enough. Additionally, a large number of the glowing reviews happen to be from Scientologist teachers, who claim that their love of the books has absolutely nothing to do with their religion, which also seems to be more than a little suspicious.

I am sorry. When I used the term “you” I didn’t mean you personally. I understand you are on the good side of this. I really am trying to help.

I just got a notice from Amazon that my order has shipped. Unfortunately the Hubbard books are back ordered, even though Amazon claimed they were in stock and ready. More deception from the CULT!

Keep up the courage. I understand where you are coming from. :slight_smile:

You know Happy Wanderer, I enjoyed Battlefield Earth too, are you going to accuse me of being a clam? It wasn’t great or fantastic or monumental, but it was an enjoyable example of exactly what it claimed to be: A pulp Sci-Fi story of the type published in serials 60 years ago. It’s a “popcorn” novel. Light, enjoyable, easy to finish but nothing of substance. Great beach reading.

As for the clams, you seem a bit obsessed dude. They’re just one cult amongst many. There are ALWAYS going to be cults, and anyone who gets sucked into one started by a hack Sci-Fi writer who flat out said “Hey, I’m gonna start a religion to make money”, and does so, basing his religion on a screenplay that he failed to sell to Hollywood…well, in my mind they deserve what they get.

Well, I cut my teeth on the likes of Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, PKD, Vance, Bradbury, and the like. Again, I’m not claiming that BE is an equal to any of their works. Only that it’s an enjoyable read.

The Hubbard books have arrived! I’ll get back with a review tomorrow.

It is the only cult that I know of that has plans to “clear the planet”. That means you too, bub. They are organized, relentless, wealthy, and gaining more power every day. So join up or be “put away quietly, with no sorrow”.