"A child in charge of six babies"

Could a six year be nominated for Times Man of the Year?

Not to derail a huggy squishy thread with some jaded cynicism, but it seems to be just the sort of spin that drives me nuts about “journalism” today. The writer wanted to create a feel-good, life affirming story about loving rescue efforts, good Samaritans and children being miraculously reunited with their mommies while sort of glossing over the gross incompetance of at least some of the rescuers - without whom, a reunion wouldn’t have been required. OR a Bad Thing Happened to the helicopter. We don’t know. But there’s a part of this story that isn’t all hugs and puppies that the writer chose not to present.

I was teary with awwww by the time I got to the end of the article, too. It took me a few minutes and a second read before the WTF kicked in.

The rescue effort is being pitted in dozens of threads and by many news agencies. This particular thread is indeed a Aww Gee Thread.

I’m not pitting the rescue effort. I’m not even pitting the article linked to in the OP. Nor did the OP give a whole lot of direction to the thread. I’m simply stated what went on in my mind as I read the article which the OP wanted us to read, and my critique of the article as journalism. If I put my last post in the Pit, I’d be chased out to cries of “lame!” and “MSPIMS material!”

Deamonte rocks. He da man. He’s a little hero. But he shouldn’t have had to be.

Bolding mine.

I don’t see how you accuse the “journalist” of CREATING anything. The children were alone and this was reported. People helped them; this was reported too. The helicopter didn’t come back. The reporter doesn’t know why, but it didn’t come back and that was reported. Perhaps calls were made to find out and no answers were forthcoming. Maybe they’re looking into this now. Do we hold the story because every single question hasn’t been answered?

I am not defending journalism today as a whole. I think there’s too many of them, too many news channels, too much too much. However, when you’re reporting the news you simply can’t answer every single question in every single story. And (responsible people at least) don’t create news, they report it.

How about ABC World News’ “Person of the Week”?

Is he?

That’s cool.