A Christmas mini-bulb polarity question

OK, a strand of mini-bulbs has a plug that is not polarized; the socket isn’t either. If I wanted to plug, say, a flickering candle into the end of the mini-bulb strand – the candle has a polarized plug – I would have to shave down the wide blade to fit. What horrible fate awaits me if I do this? Pull no punches. TIA.

As long as the polarity is correct, I don’t think it’ll really matter. Even if it’s backwards, I think the worst that’ll happen is the light won’t turn on.

You might consider cutting the plug off an old string of lights and wiring it to the candle.

The polarized plug is for safety.
It’s marginally more dangerous to have it plugged in backwards, but IMHO, the increase in danger is pretty small.

An excellent idea! Thankee, sai!

That brings up a good point. If this candle has a screw in bulb, remember that if you plug it in backwards, the socket threads are hot instead of the part at the bottom. Meaning, as soon as the bulb makes contact with the socket, the bulb threads are hot as well. Not a huge deal if you’re careful, just make sure to keep your fingers away from it.

In fact, if you do this, it might be worth putting some electrical tape around that area (you can get it in all different colors). It’ll protect anything exposed, keep the bulb from backing out and keep people from playing with it as well as serving as a reminder to you to be careful.

But if it’s plugged in the correct way, it’s no more unsafe than it was before.

Get a load of this: the candle does have a screw-in bulb (I bought a mess of the flicker type bulbs for them) but the socket is molded plastic with a tiny contact point way down inside for the threads; it doesn’t make contact until the metal threads are safely inside the socket! I’m flabbergasted! Despite all that, you made more than a good point about keeping my fat fingers outta the works.

I don’t know about you, but as the days get shorter my brain works slower and it was almost bedtime before I came up with a really good solution: mark the corresponding blades and sockets with a drop of paint on the side of the housing. Seems fail-safe. Maybe.

Thanks for your help Joey_P and beowulff. Merry holidays!