A colorado woman gets killed by bears..... state kills first 3 bears they find

True, it does read a little oddly. But since that was before we were sure that testing the bear required killing it I think it still holds together. :slight_smile:

And two out of three ain’t bad.

When I saw this story I thought of the SS shooting random townspeople after French partisans had ambushed a German patrol.

Meatloaf Again???

These were not random bears, they were tracked by dogs from the scene and were found to have eaten the lady. Bears get killed for no good reason at all, like so that some guy can feel like a big game hunter from the 1840’s. These bears actually killed and ate a woman.

While I do feel sorrow for the bears, I would not compare their death to Nazi attacks on partisans.

A few years ago I chased a black bear out of our yard (it was eating bird seed and I didn’t want the feeder to get busted). Maybe I should have been more cautious.

No. Better armed.

Seed feeders in bear country are an invitation for trouble. Bears will move from feeders to garbage cans and pets on leashes, and they are extremely difficult to get rid of without killing them.

Loaded for bear?

He went bearing only arms or with bare arms. Could have lost an arm.

OK! Ignorance fought.

We aren’t really in “bear country”. I’ve seen three over the course of my lifetime. The one a few years ago led us to take down our feeders for a few weeks.

There’s a famous tale from 50 years ago or so about an off-duty park ranger and a tourist from Czechoslovakia being killed by a mating pair of black bears. They killed one of the bears and cut open the female to find the remains of the ranger. The posse concluded that the Czech must be in the male.

But then I’d have a dead black bear in my yard. I’d almost rather be eaten.

At this point in the thread, it would be not so much a tragedy as mauled by cliché.

Support the right to arm bears!

I thought the right to bear arms was sacred in the USA.

Proof that language is not a commutative operation.

It was either that, or dust off and nuke the site from orbit.

This is a good reminder for my Wife and I to remain vigilant. Last fall we each ended up with a bear in our car. No damage.

Like these?

Once a bear attacks a human for any reason, including defending cubs, it’s a sociopathic killer bear that must be exterminated so we can all feel safe.

To be absolutely sure, slaughter all bears and their cubs within 500 miles of anyplace humans might conceivably go.