A Cranky Visit

Yep, THE Black Rock. I hope you know how special this makes you. You’d best appreciate it!!

sigh
Huge fan of Cranky here, not to mention of Thai food, Chicago and even black rocks… and I’m 1000 miles away.
double sigh

Ok, so far we have:

Sure things:

Cranky
Jane D’oh!
Gundy
Porcupine
Typomna
Eva Luna
Mike G
Judith Prietht
Zanshin

Possible/Probable:
Gaudere

If wishes were fishes - or maybe some other time:
Dropzone
MissCreant
Billdo
lieu
Any one else?

OK, bump to let you know I haven’t totally bailed on you guys, It’s been crazy at Casa De Mike what with the flu, kids in their last week of school, dance recitals, soccer games, sleepovers, job interviews,and all that. I’m going out in a few minutes to scout out three or so potential Thai places, I’ll post later. Let me know if Thai is the final answer as I will also check out a couple Chinese places as well. Sun Wah on Argyle might be a good bet.

A lot of people like Thai Pastry but there are MUCH better places in my ever so humble opinion.

OK that was quick:) As in TAC Quick Restaurant I mean. I think this might be a grand place, it’s right under the Sheridan El stop, its BYOB friendly and the reviews by people I trust implicitly are glowing

Here’s some pictures

Did I mention it’s BYOB friendly? :slight_smile:

If you say it’s better than Thai Aree, or at least just as good, then I say we leave voting open til noon tomorrow for feedback, then go ahead and make reservations, K?

What should we bring to drink, aside for sodee pop?

Oh the things I do for you people…

I just got back from a tasting tour of Thai food. Started out at Thai Pastry, had their papaya salad and basil chicken; it was good but something was missing. I dunno, I remember this place being better than it is. I haven’t been there for a long time though.

Had Thai fried chicken at TAC Quick and it was incredible, flavouful and came with a yummy dipping sauce. I also got their peanut curry noodles with chicken for dinner, I had a bite of it and it is also very nice (I’ll most likely let it wait till tomorrow though, I’m stuffed!)

The hostess knows a friend of mine and I really do think this is a winner. It’s close to most things, they do the classics well and they have some really nice specials on a Thai menu that’s been conveniently translated. It is about 30 feet S of the Sheridan El stop on the Red line. The links I posted to have some menu info so I won’t repeat it but that’s what I’m voting for.

Of course it’s for Cranky so I imagine she will have last word:) They are closed tomorrow but the hostess told me I could make a reservation on Wed no problem for Fri night.

Input? Anyone? Thoughts on beverages to bring?

[hijack]

**Mike, **this is a long shot, but do you happen to actually know the Kerensa mentioned in your first link? I had a dear friend by that name in grade school, but have lost track of her, and don’t imagine there are too many Kerensas banging around Chicago. She is an Evanstonian – long story. [/hijack]

Hey, the place sounds good, and those of you who aren’t familiar with the Chowhound site but love good and out-of-the-way ethnic restaurants should really check it out! It’s hard to navigate sometimes, but another friend of mine swears by it. It found me a couple of killer kosher Uzbek places in NY near my dad’s house.

I have no clue what beverages go with Thai food, except I wish there were such a thing as decaf Thai iced coffee. I love the stuff to death, but if I drank it with dinner I’d be up all night.

Sorry Eva, I don’t know her. As for beverages, they have soft drinks there, I’m planning on bringing an IPA as I think it goes well with Thai food.

In general I like beer with Thai food, maybe a Gewurztraminer (Trimbach makes a particularly nice one for around 20 bucks) if you are into wine.

As for food fora, there is a new one at LTH Forums that is my new Chow home. It’s in a format we all know and love and almost all the best and most knowledgable foodies from Chowhound have gone over to that place…it’s a long story as to why the split happened.

Well, sure. I’ve never met Cranky, but I can only think I’d like her. I only wish we’d get to see her for longer so she can play Scrabble with Paul and I.

So, that’s a yes from me and Paul. Woo!

You think I’d let Cranky visit Chicago without allowing her to see my shining presence? HA!

Just tell me where to go, I’ll be there.

If the restaurant is a BYOB, I’ll be happy to bring some bottles of wine. Just let me know where and when.

I have Scrabble on my palm pilot…

OK, so we have:

Sure things:

Cranky
Jane D’oh!
Gundy
Porcupine
Typomna
Eva Luna
Mike G
Judith Prietht
Zanshin
Kyla
Bristlesage
Dyno

Possible/Probable:
Gaudere

If wishes were fishes - or maybe some other time:
Dropzone
MissCreant
Billdo
lieu

Dinner at 7 pm on Fiday June 11, 2004 at TAC Quick Thai Kitchen
3930 N Sheridan Road
773-327-5253
MikeG will you please make reservations for 13?

If you’re lurking in this thread and can’t make it to dinner but want to meet Mrs. Dr. Cranky, we will be at the Black Rock for a drink or two at about 9 pm.

See ya there!!!

Now, I don’t wanna hear about any Cranky-Panky from you folks!

OK but I think we might have to do two tables, this is a storefront place and IIRC 10 is the most they can get at the banquette table and that would be a bit crowded. Should be bo problem though, I’ll make the reservation in the name of Adams at 7 PM.

You bring two and I’ll bring two and that should be enough to keep everyone in a glass of wine or two, ok?

First, I missed the last Chi-Lunch. :confused:

Then, I missed the big, 80’s party at gundy’s. (Which, as an aside, looked like a blast, and I’m really sorry the gundster took some flack some from complete and utter idjits.) :smack:

Then, I missed the main ChiDope. :frowning:

Now, I can’t make it to cranky’s visit. :mad:

I’m so upset that I’m using waaaayyyyy to many smilies. That’s a bad sign.Maybe I’ll send a picture to dinner, just so y’all don’t forget about me.

Have fun though.

Sounds good. I’ll bring one red and one white.