A customer lost $200 in our store and I got to play telephone.

One of our customers dropped $200 on the floor on their way out. I have no idea who it was. I only know because somebody found in on the floor and turned it in to us :eek::eek::eek:. I repeat somebody turned in $200 they found lying on the floor instead of keeping it. I repeat somebody turned in $200 they found lying on the floor instead of keeping it. I was flabbergasted. I don’t even know if I’d have done that if I found money on the floor. Probally not. We don’t even know what we’re supposed to do with it if nobody claims it (or how to tell who’s it is). I just stuck in the safe and emailed our DM. I repeat somebody turned in $200 they found lying on the floor instead of keeping it.

I also spent 25 minutes after I was supposed to leave (but hadn’t cocked out yet) helping a lady put refill minutes on her cell phone. Her English was not good; we could sorta understand eacher, but there was no way she could deal with the phone robots. Turns out her plan didn’t allow for adding prepaid minutes purchased in store; she needed use a credit/debit card or send a check to buy them directly from her service provider. We can’t refund phone cards, but I was able to get the agent to add the prepaid minutes on her phone as a one time courtesy, but then I got put on hold while she checked with her supervisor. We got disconnected :smack:. So I had to call go through everthing again.

Through out this I had to keeping asking her all kinds of questions about her account info which she didn’t understant. So she had to call another woman on the cell phone of the man she was with while I was on our phone with the service provider. In case you’re confused this meant the agent would say something to me, I’d talk to the lady on the cellphone, the lady on the phone would talk to the lady in the store, the lady in store would talk to the lady on the cellphone, the lady on the cellphone would talk to me, and I’d talk to the agent. Everone (lady, cellphone lady, man, agent, supervisor) was very polite and thanked me for my help. She was very grateful.

It feels weird to write about work someplace other than the pit.

:smack:

When my daughter was just about 2, she slipped out under the bar of her stroller as I was loading the groceries onto the band and picked something up from the floor. ‘Don’t get things off that dirty floor, sweetie,’ I said to her, a bit annoyed. I took the paper she had found and thought distractedly that it must be a coupon. Boy, it sure looked like a 500 euro bill. In fact, as I looked at it closely once I had all the groceries out of the way … holy crap, it was a 500 euro bill!

I pulled over out of the way after I had paid for my stuff and stared at the bill and thought about what to do. In the end, I turned it over to the information desk of the grocery store (I was so flustered that I forgot to ask for a receipt, but we called the manager after I got home and came back to get one). After a few days, they turned it over to the police lost and found, and after 6 months, we could claim it. It’s in my daughter’s bank account now.

I still wonder – who loses that much money and doesn’t even bother to check around where it might have gotten lost?

Once upon a time, before bank machines, I was in line at my bank a few weeks before Christmas. I looked down and saw WAD of cash on the floor. I picked it up but didn’t count it. I was probably in the $300 to $500 range.

So, after a brief moment of insanity (one second) I asked if anyone in line had dropped some money. The guy in front of me checked his pockets, whirled around and said “Yes! That’s mine.” I never doubted him, but given my cash-strapped life at the time I could have just as easily meandered out of the bank with no one the wiser.

I felt good for doing the right thing: especially just before Christmas.

Surely it should go to the honest finder (as in shantih’s example).

A few years back the spouse and I were at our local Wells Fargo bank ATM to get some cash, when I noticed something scattered around one of the other ATMs. I pounced on it, and realized there were $20 bills all over the ground. I gathered them up (there were some in the bushes–it was like a treasure hunt) and, after contemplating keeping them for a minute or two, dutifully took them inside, explained what happened to a teller, and handed them over. She thanked me and told me they would try to use the ATM records and whatnot to figure out who they belonged to.

I never heard back, but hopefully they got back to their owner.

I did keep the $20 bill I found in a gutter when I was in college, though. Hell, in those days that would feed me for almost a week. :slight_smile:

That’s well over a month’s rent for me. I agree: how could anyone not notice losing it?

They probably noticed it, but had been so many places and figured they had such a small chance of recovery, that they didn’t bother to call around.

My dad once found something like $10k in bearer’s bonds. He turned them in. The guy who claimed them was so happy that he sent my parents a gift certificate that covered dinner at the nicest steak place in town.

Large sums of money = drug deals. Money changes place and the people buying or selling see a cop or something and beat it.

I’ve got a couple of theories, actually. This happened not too long after the changeover from the D-mark to the euro. Either it was an older person who pulled it out of his or her wallet and didn’t notice it had fallen out, and maybe wasn’t aware enough to remember it had been there in the first place (the grocery store is close to some senior housing), or it was someone who had it through the black market – drugs, smuggling, cash under the table, whatever – and didn’t want to ask around and raise questions about why they had such a big bill on hand in the first place.

Or, of course, it was someone who did notice it was gone and figured the chances of its being turned in were so low as to make it futile to check.

Whatever, I did everything I could to make it possible for the one who lost it to find it again, and I get to sleep at night and make eye contact with my image in the mirror, plus my daughter has a nice bit of money in the bank and a great story to tell, so it’s all good on this end!

I found a dollar in the parking lot last week. I felt bad about keeping it, but how do you find out who owns one single dollar? If it was two hundred I would have taken it to library security, although they don’t own the parking lot. (Hell, if it was twenty.)

I most likely would have done the same thing, but I would have asked the bank manager if I could review the security video just to make sure. If it were a short line, you would only have to go back a minute or two in time to see if indeed the claimant had actually dropped it.

One time I was in Costco and I found fourteen dollars on the floor crumpled up in a tight ball. I figured that the only people who carry money in their pockets in spherical form like that are little kids and adolescent girls, so I quickly canvassed the area to see if I could spot any bawling kids or anxious/pissed-looking teenagers. Not seeing any, I turned my cart around, put back the domestic beer, and treated myself to some imported.

I found $35 (a $20, a $10, and a $5) on the bus once. That’s the most money I’ve ever found. It was right on the little steps where you get on the bus. I picked it up thinking it was a couple of ones, then looked up in amazement at the driver when I realized how much it was. He looked down at me and the bills and said “Right on!”

I was a poor grad student at the time and figured $35 was a lot of money. I called the lost and found number for the city bus service and asked if anyone had reported losing some money. The woman I talked to said no, and seemed kind of surprised that I was even calling about it. So I kept it.

Once knew a friend of a friend who found $9,000 in a large envelope or paper bag of some sort. He was a baggage handler at George Bush Intercontinental Airport and the package fell out of an unknown bag on the multilevel conveyor system. He gave it to his supervisor and it was handed over to Continental Airlines who then notified the police. Three months later it still wasn’t claimed so it was his to split with the supervisor.

Obviously drug money.

I also knew a woman who found $800 in a folded piece of notebook paper at that same airport. She tried to hand it over to a gate agent, but he refused to touch it. She motioned over a patrolling police officer and he too wouldn’t take it. He said there was too much liability in handling found cash. So she kept it and halved it with her friend.

On a semi-related note, I’ve heard some wild stories about the cleaning contractors that clean out the airplanes at Bush Intercontinental. Supposedly they find money and items all the time and simply throw it into their trash bin casually, to retrieve later without arousing suspicion. If a wallet is found, the money is taken and the wallet wedged in a seat for someone to find in another city. That’s so scummy.

Did I ever post a thread of mine where I pit myself for forgetting take $400 which I have drawn from the ATM machine?

I once found a hundred dollar bill lying on a shelf in a grocery store. I snatched it up quick and stuck it in my pocket. As I shopped onward, I started to wonder how it could have gotten lost, and on a shelf. I kept looking around to see if anyone was hunting for it, or having problems in the checkout line. By the time I got to the checkout line myself, I had built up a mental picture of a confused little old lady who was going to have to go home without her beans and cat food. I felt awful.
As I went to pay for my groceries, I found a piece of paper in my pocket. Pulling it out, I discovered it was a religious tract…the back of which was printed to look like a folded hundred dollar bill.
It fills me with GRRRR to think of all the mental anguish I put myself through, not to mention that I didn’t get to keep the hundred dollars!

I once found a wallet, filled with cash (and, fortunately for her, the owner’s drivers license). Turns out, the owner was a waitress at a restaurant about a block away from where I found the wallet, laying on the sidewalk. The cash was all her tips for the night. Probably quite a bit, it was a classy restaurant.

Once, when I worked retail in high school, someone thought their teenage kid left an envelope full of cash at our store. IIRC, it was several thousand dollars, her down-payment on a car. Of course, the mom comes into the store and starts interrogating the employees, asking me if there were any “young people” working at the time her daughter left the envelope full of cash laying on the counter*. I was 18, so I’m pretty sure I qualified as a “young person”. Clearly, someone who worked there stole the money.

*I’m not really sure that’s what happened, because I was working that day, and it wasn’t crowded, and the other person working wasn’t the sort to take the cash, either. I’m guessing the daughter lost the money somewhere else, or maybe a customer took it. Either way - seriously lady, if your daughter loses that much cash, blame her. Or don’t let her carry that much cash. Is it too hard to deposit the money and write a check or use a debit card?

I guess I’m not sure why this surprises you so. I guess if I were on the street and there was no way to track down the owner, I’d keep it, but in a store where the owner has a chance of coming back? I wouldn’t keep it either. It’s not mine.

You do understand that typographical errors have piss all to do with one’s command of a language, right?

No message.