A Day at the Beach with the SDMB

I’ll help you collect the wood.

I’ve also brought marshmallows and my ukulele.

Let’s pop into this nearby woods. I’m sure nothing bad will happen to us.

I’ll be playing in the sand.

What- What’s that shining light in the sky? Why is there so much sand here? And people are dressed in their underwear! Oh, I wish I was back at home browsing the internet!

Anyone have a tablet Sr Siete can borrow?

Anyone care to join me in running down to the water, then turning around comically and running away when the waves crash at my feet ala the Monkees?

No, but the tide is coming in; I didn’t check the tide tables. But then, neither did anyone else.

Blub.

Forget the tablet. Find some sunblock!

*Leet the Hero Rescue Dog begins to dig frantically to free Prof. Pepperwinkle, pausing only briefly to lick his face, attempt to steal his lunch, and piddle on nearby weeds, branches, and anything else that is taller than it is wide, and *

OH LOOK!!! ANOTHER BIRD!!!

Regards,
Leet/Shodan

A large number of Dopers set their stuff back down well past the high water mark. Dougie_monty is one of them. He sees a young American Indian woman walking along the wet flats, dressed similarly–in beach shorts, flip-flops, a Hawaiian shirt, and an old straw hat. She stops and stares at the slightly washed-down sandman he made. Other Dopers gather round as she asked him, “What does that say?”

Where? *Where? *Cat Whisperer, did you see that one?

Damn. That’s the trouble with birds; they are always gone the moment I start paying attention. I’d rather watch a kite.
Now. This little green slimey papery stuff is sea lettuce. And yes, it is healthy and delicious.

::num num::

No one has to worry about tides on Lake Winnipeg, especially at the blue lagoon just south of the town of Grand Beach’s white-sand beach. A perfect day (but for the light leak, bottom left, in my 1931 box Brownie).

TOO LATE! A beach in the town of Gimli, on the other side of the lake, basks in mid-80s temperatures as the sun slowly sinks, signalling, despite Shodan’s warning, Gimli’s giant prehistoric bird that it’s time to swoop down and snatch another child for supper! as a boat, a quarter of a mile out and oblivious to the horror, slowly cruises by under a pink cloud.

I think it was a sandpiper.

So, you can eat that slimey green stuff, eh?

Don’t call the okra I eat slimy. My Dad was from Arkansas and he cooked it a lot.

A bunch of us gather in front of a fire to toast marshmallows. I find a big tree branch with lots of points, and so I toast about two dozen marshmallows on it, for anyone to take off the branch when they’re ready. :slight_smile:

Canopy tent? Check
Lawn chair? Check
Cooler full of potable ice? Check
Tonic? Check
RealLime juice? Check [sup]*[/sup]
Gin? Check
Biography of Amundsen and Scott? Check

There’s plenty of shade and refreshments. I’m sorry, I’ve only got the one spill-proof cup, though.
*I prefer actual lime wedges, but I was running late this morning.

If it’s my nearest beach, I’ll be buying some fish and chips and then sitting at one of those tables overlooking the beach.

I’m already there!

I arive looking like a 50(something)Spicoli…
What Key? I have an a,c,d,g and a few obscure minor harps…along with a wee bit of “Green Energy”…and a sixer or two of Bells HopSlam …Surfs UP!

For teetotalers, dougie_monty has brought several bottles of sparkling non-alcoholic cider. There are also Hebrew National franks for a weenie roast. :slight_smile: