How about this variant:

E R A
R I P
A P E

You could change the S’s to W’s.

My bad. I was thinking of “seeped.”

Let’s replace that with:

hanky, hecky, hinky, honky, and hunky.

Thanks for clearing that “sepped” thing up. I was all prepared for an Urban Dictionary definition or the typo I suspected. “Seeped” didn’t occur to me.

Isn’t it strange how this activity causes some “potential” words to sound mighty inviting as possibilities, and other “real” words to sound unreal? I have that trouble with “does” (not the deer but the “do” one) quite often. It just doesn’t look right somehow. No issue with “doesn’t” however.

W E D
E V E
D E W

Zeldar, I searched for “all posts by Zeldar” and I got back one page of 11 results. How’d you get all 7,455 posts in just eleven threads?

I searched (later) for G O O S E B I B L E A T L A S T H I G H and also (later) for SATOR but I never did turn up the post you mentioned. Waitaminnit…on closer examination, suddenly I understand the premise. Wow, that** is **deep. You are indeed an adept, Zeldar-wan.

The mystery of the 7,455 (and climbing) posts in 11 pages can be solved by the fact that only x-number of days are the default for how far back you can look with a given search. I have been lying low for several months so unless you go further back than the default (I haven’t checked for what it is now, but it was a year or so last time I looked) you’ll miss older stuff.

I came back yesterday to post a link to the thread from 2005 with the card trick (the “self-working” part of the title might help) but I couldn’t get the link to work right. So I figured I’d wait to see if more was made of the issue.

In case your reference to the “waitaminnit” didn’t cover the essentials of the trick, it goes like this:

1. deal out ten packets of two cards each, face down
  2. have your audience (up to 10) pick a packet and memorize the cards – while you’re not looking
  3. have them return the packet(s) face down to the surface they were on
  4. taking care to keep the packets from intermingling, pick them all up to form a small deck
  5. using the layout (GOOSE/BIBLE/ATLAS/THIGH) as a mental aid, deal the cards into the layout so that each packet corresponds with the double letters in the layout, G’s, I’s, B’s. etc.
  6. have the audience identify which row or rows their packet’s cards are in
  7. using the mental layout as a guide, flip over the two cards that match the double letters
  8. continue if needed until all 20 cards are face up
  9. repeat if necessary

That old thread may have other neat tricks in it, if you want to go looking for it. July or so, 2005.

Here’s the link. I still don’t know why it didn’t work in the attempted reply yesterday.

http://208.100.26.199/sdmb/showthread.php?t=328015

Hey, thanks, Zeldar! My son is into card tricks, he’ll like this one!

Zombie alert!

I ran across this thread while searching for another. Thought it might make for some continued fun, here after some time has passed.

Your basic glorified bump. :smiley:

chase, cheese, chaise, chose, choose, chuse - though the last one breaks the rule for being an archaic form, even though it is in the U.S. Constitution