A few questions about aspirin

Is aspirin beneficial at higher doses than the OTC reccomendation? I know ibuprofen for example is dosed at 800mg by prescription. Is aspirin ever used at higher dosages like this?

Also could combining aspirin with other OTC drugs provide additional pain releif vs using aspirin alone?

Aspirin is a poison if taken in excess. Under no circumstances should anyone exceed the recommended dose.

In addition to its poisonous qualities, aspirin is also a potent irritant of the stomach and intestines. The greater the amount of aspirin taken, the more likely one is to get an ulcer. This can happen after even a few doses.

Further, if someone has an element of kidney failure, aspirin, taken on a regular basis at the recommended dose, can still be deadly poisonous.

Bottom line: stick with the OTC recommendations for aspirin.

I’m not asking for advice for myself, just wondering if higher doses are ever prescribed

In the “old days”, aspirin was prescribed at doses up to 1300 mg four times a day for rheumatoid arthritis and allied conditions. More recently, its been supplanted by the other NSAIDs which are generally safer and more effective.

Regarding the use of high doses of aspirin, you can measure the level of aspirin in the blood and adjust the dose such that you keep the level high but out of the toxic range. That being said, the patient could tell you - their ears would start to ring as they approached toxic levels.:slight_smile:

Not to mention that it interferes with blood coagulation. I’ve heard it said that if aspirin were discovered nowadays, it would never be an OTC drug.

Meds at one point were prescribed not by people but by weight. An obsese person may need more. I know dogs are given aspirin based on body weight.

Aspirin is an NSAID (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, examples are aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil), orudis and naproxen (Aleve)

It isnt too good an idea to combine NSAIDS, unless your doctor does. If I have a rough gym work out I have always taken 3 (325mg X 3) or 975mg and it works beautiful. But I have no stomach issues at all.

I reckon if you did that’d be rough on your stomach.

Many OTC (over the counter) meds do combine asprin and acetaminophen (Tylenol). The most usual combination is 500mg of each one.

Yes.

When I was first diagnosed with arthritis, I was taking per doctor order about 15 - 20 tablets a day PRN. I did not respond to Motrin, etc.; aspirin was the only thing that helped.

But it gave me a case of tinnitus that lasts even now.

But that’s not real dose-related. One gets best platelet inhibition at doses ranging from 75 to 150 mg a day. Higher doses don’t seem to inhibit platelet aggregation more than lower doses, though the higher doses do increase the risk of erosive gastritis which leads to bleeding.

I seldom recommend aspirin anymore, save for those patients at high risk of thromboembolic events.

And lately the literature seems to indicate that using aspirin to prevent heart attacks or strokes in low risk folks carries more risks (of bleeding) than benefits (in heart attack or stroke prevention).

Interesting… thanks.