A kid chugged a 4 oz. bottle of Robitussin in front of me last night

The Robitussin/WalTussin stuff doesn’t have alcohol in it, but NyQuil does along with the dextromethorphan. Worse yet, it also contains acetaminophen so if you abuse that, you’re packing in the liver damage as an extra added “bonus.”

He probably did it in front of you intentionally. Because you were questioning his maturity. He was showing you how grown up he was.

:eek: Lordy. I didn’t know that stuff had such properties. What would “higher doses” mean, exactly? Would the manchild in the OP have been doing loop-de-loops in the astral plane on a bottle of Robitussen, or just freaking out every time the street lights changed and tried to attack him?

Having once come pretty close to ODing on acetaminophen (toothache, popping 500mg tylenols and 222s (a behind-the-counter 325mg acetaminophen+8mg codeine preparation) like crazy) I know what having a lot of just that stuff in your system is like. Couple that with all the DM and alcohol, chugging that stuff would get you on the express line to the grave.

I’m one of those who feels that it’s not the government’s role to protect us from our own stupidity. However, the government wasn’t mandating the additive of the pukafying ingredient. What the government did was put in a law to protect high-seekers from doing more damage to themselves if they semi-outwitted a safety mechanism that was, for all I’ve heard, put in by the industry itself. Big difference, there.

It’s very similar to ketamine. Kinda like acid or mushrooms, but different.

I work at the Wal-Mart pharmacy here in town, and our problems with kids and DXM have gotten so bad that we now keep the following items behind the counter:

Coricidin HBP Cough/Cold
Robitussin Cough Gels
Zicam Cough Max (lozenges and pills)
Delsym (all 5 UPC versions). This one was the most recent, but after we found 6 empty boxes back in the toy department, we pulled it into the back also.

Keep in mind that we also have heavy theft problems with Prilosec OTC and Zantac (both behind the counter), and we have to keep Sudafed back there, so we have a whole bunch of room devoted to OTC products. I just can’t wait until we start putting condoms and pregnancy tests back there… More of those are stolen than there are people in my city, I think sometimes.

Kind of like all those methadone addicts (I used to see a few of them when I worked step down). I wonder if someday our treatment of drugs in this country will become an odd footnote in the history of the world…

I never understood why one time when I tried to buy Lactaid at Walgreens I had to get one of the clerks to get it out of a locked cabinet. Is lactose intolerance so prevalent that people are stealing Lactaid to support their dairy habit?

Ah thanks for reminding me it’s time for my annual bitch about on Terpin hydrate being removed. :mad:

Just as a general FYI, you do not want to drink this stuff. I am not speaking from experience, but Amy Sedaris heard that it was a laxative so she tried it out. She heard right.

Ho-ly CRAP!!

I was so freaked by somebody robotripping at the checkout at Walgreens, I dint even think. He DID just get plain ol’ Wal-Tussin, not the DM.

Bwahahahaha! ROFLMAO!!

Hope he enjoyed his trip [snerk]. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
I feel much better now. Thank you.

He’s expectorating like a mofo. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you really say that? Really?

Speaking as someone who’s done a fair bit of DXM in my day (though I almost never chugged syrup–yecch!), that’s probably the most absurd thing you could’ve done in that situation. I mean, really. The stuff doesn’t kick in for at least 30 minutes. And, what, you were going to stop this “kid”–who is, as far as the law is concerned, 25–from ever chugging cough syrup again? He did it right in front of you to shock people and get a rise out of you, and it worked.

I mean, really. (a) It’s not your problem–either the “kid” will fuck up his life or he won’t, and by the nature of your relationship to him, you won’t be more than a blip on his radar screen. (b) What, exactly, did you think you were going to accomplish?

I’m not trying to Pit you here. I’m really not. I’m just saying, what is all that really going to do other than to give him the attention he craves, reinforce his behavior, and make you look kind of silly in the process?

ETA: Sounds like he didn’t get the real stuff, but my point still stands. And I’m not sure what to make of the fact that in the OP you were trying to save his life or some such other noble bullshit, but when you found out he didn’t get the “good stuff” you experienced schadenfreude at the fact that he wasn’t tripping. Which is it?

Not even close. It’s a nice trippy dose; the worst that’ll happen is he’ll throw up from all the nasty, sticky, over-sweet syrup in his stomach. (One of many, many reasons not to use the syrup.)

Not really. It’s a psychedelic in its own right, and a much different ballgame than any other drug. If anything, it’s like a combination of strong alcohol and weak LSD, but dissociative rather than merely hallucinogenic. And that dose is not an “OD”. Not even close. Like I said, it’s stupid to drink that much syrup at once for a number of reasons, but long-term damage to physical or mental health is not one of them.

FTR, it was Thomas Jefferson who said that “the freedom and happiness of man [are] the sole objects of all legitimate government”, and that he “would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it”.

The tweakers? It’s your governments that have let you down (mine too, actually). There’s a list out there somewhere of the 28 (26?) ingredients you need to cook up meth at home. Sudafed is one of them, and all of the other ones can be procured legally and without any hassle whatsoever. All the regulations on pseudoephedrine now cannot be rationally intended to do anything about the problem–I mean, come on. It’s all just a way for politicians to make it look like they’re doing something, so they can then brag about being “tough on drugs”. Smoke, meet mirror.

Street lights don’t change and try to attack you on DXM. It’s a dissociative ,which means that your hallucinations are from out-of-body, and don’t have that much effect on the real life stuff in front of you.

thank you** Fetus**, you saved me the bother

Meh, that’s nothing.

When I was a kid I’d crawl 15 miles uphill over broken glass to the chemist just to get an aspirin.

I just loved it

Ah. Let me guess - we’re not talking “laxative” as in “pleasant relief from an uncomfortably prolonged episode of constipation” here, are we?

Oopsie.

I tired it once just for shits and giggles, and couldn’t get passed a sip or two due to the ungoldy taste. Surely they could put something in it to make it taste even worse, like castor oil, to keep at least some kiddies from drinking it?

Yes, thanks fetus. I’ve gotten high on DXM lots of times; it’s fun and cheap. And this “kid” is 25, so it’s no one’s business if he wants to get off. Sounds like he drank the wrong stuff, which makes him a bit of a dumbass, but regardless, you’re aren’t his mom Duck Duck Goose, no matter what idiotic thing you say (which by the way, that really was a weird thing to say, I’m sure he laughed about it with his friends). Just ring him up, and MYOB.

Thats the same pseudoephedrine that’s in my Claritin-D, isn’t it? I accidentally took 2 of those (24-hr variety) one Friday night last summer. They’ve got 120 mg of pseudoephedrine each.

Whoa doggies, that was a trip.

You young’uns. In my day we crawled over 20 miles of hot moten lava for some willow bark to chew.