A Microsoft job interview question. What's your answer?

And it seems to have the words “Property of Apple Computer” embossed on it as well, don’t you people have any original ideas of your own? must you steal everything from other companies and pass it off as your own work?

yes, as you can tell i hate m$ with a passion :wink:

I’m sorry to admit that I don’t get this at all. How could 1 pull possibly tell you anything about whether the bag is mixed or not?

[QUOTE=MacTech]
And it seems to have the words “Property of Apple Computer” embossed on it as well, don’t you people have any original ideas of your own? must you steal everything from other companies and pass it off as your own work?

[QUOTE]

Interviewer Replies: Apple didn’t come up with this. The one they made had white lettering. We made ours with grey lettering. See, it is completely different and original.

That’s a different problem (and one I actually had at a MS interview, and nailed it (except it was oranges and peaches)). If all three jars are mislabeled, and you know it, then you can do it in 1 pull.

But if none of the jars are labeled, (as in the question posed by BurnMeUp) one pull isn’t going to cut it.

[QUOTE=Shagnasty]

[QUOTE=MacTech]

so, you mean to tell me that aside from the gray lettering (which we’re simply arguing semantics here), your use of the Apple Garamond font and the single button interface just happen to be coincidences?! bullshit!, you stole it, you just don’t want to own up to it

besides, the ink inside is plaid anyway

Maybe the marble question requires ‘out of the box’ thinking – in which case it might be appropriate to just knock over two of the cans, spilling the marbles out, and quickly determining the answer in the process.

Another answer: Two handfulls. Shake each can vigorously, then reach in and pull out a handfull of can A. It will be either all black, all white, or mixed. Then pull out a handfull of can B (if A was mixed, you only need one marble from B). If neither A or B was mixed (one is all white, one is all black), I would be sure of the contents of C as being mixed. While it is mathematically possible that one of those two vigorously shaken cans of marbles stratified completely into white/black layers, real life just doesn’t work like that.

or, in the pen question, take out your photographic lightmeter (which you happen to have conveniently brought with you :wink: ) and point it at the pen…

well, actually the pen is 18% gray (F-8 at 1/60th sec) :wink:

My answer would be …

Funny, we called that a black pen when I worked for Apple.

Or …

Pull my pants down, slide the pen up my butt and hand it back to him, saying, “This pen is not a virgin”.