A modest proposal for the Straight Dope

I’ve wanted to give the board $$ since the Discourse switch, so if this is a way, I’ll do it. Did I read the OP correctly in that this will officially make me a scientist?

I thought the “software-side things” was Discourse?

I joined back when this board was pay to play. While there were times I couldn’t have afforded I’d be ok at $60-120 per year at this point. The biggest problem back then was that the cost prevented new people from joining so locking a single forum seems like a decent middle ground.

That being said I have no interest in sourcing article ideas. I’d consider being on the SDSAB and contributing to articles as a PE and an expert in beer, wine and spirits production but there seems to be a difference volunteering and paying for the privilege.

Groucho Marx refused to join any club that would have him as a member. I, on the other hand, have much lower standards. Plus, Cecil will pretend to read my posts? Count me in. Do you take bitcoin?

I just clawed my way back to the middle class but I could spring for $30 a year for this institution that I have followed since 1983 and been a contributor to (in a very modest way) since 2001. That’s what? $2.50 a month? Yeah, I spend more on that on Netflix. I could do that with no problem. Clearly, I have valued the Straight Dope for decades.

Also, one of my fondest memories was contributing to a Cecil question. I’d love to do it again, if an appropriate topic arises.

Also - I’ve been wanting to re-up my subscription for a couple months now. Take my money! Please!

$30 to push back against the tidal wave of ignorance that threatens to engulf humankind in the coming century? Not enough! Can we have different levels of membership (a la PBS or NPR)? Honest, I’d gladly pay more.

I don’t expect anything entertaining to be free.

Since I find my own self so entertaining, and I need a bunch of you guys to keep entertaining me, I’ll pay.

I’ve said it at least 3times:

I’LL PAY.
I’ll even pay for another or 2.

Even if, @Cecil_Adams doesn’t address me personally. :pensive:

So - we’re letting Groucho in?

His 30 clams spend as good as anyone else’s. Though I doubt if he has his wallet on him currently.

Around me he’s speechless, so we’re good.

A modest, nea humble proposal from a know-it-all 'merkin.
What could possibly go wrong?

Oh bugger it, add my toadying to the tumult and count me in. :upside_down_face:

Would it be $30/month be for everyone, or would us Charter Members get to keep our 50% discount?

Asking for a friend.

The squattocracy tendencies of the Charter Membership trouble me.

Or partner up with Vox if there’s a particularly appropriate column to put on You Tube.

This board is losing actively participating members far faster than it is gaining new ones as it is. And frankly the quality of discussion by those who are here is fading. Which results in more posters drifting off.

A sub board that is read only without ponying up 30 bucks or such? Made up of those desperate enough to have a soap box that they’ll pay to have others maybe read what they have to say? To rub virtual shoulders with a fictional character who once upon a time was the lead of a great column that is past its time in history? Doesn’t appeal to me and unlikely to do anything to address the root causes of the board’s problems. Not going to keep more quality participants active. Not going to attract more of them.

Clearly some significant number are willing to donate. Make that easy to do and figure out how to get more intelligent and articulate participants on board.

Maybe new “Cecil Adams” material would help that? Depends on the quality of it.

That’s $30/YEAR, not month.

I’ll reply in greater detail later, but quickly:

1. I have no doubt we can figure out multiple ways to accept your money.

2. As things stand, Slug won’t be involved.

3. Subscribers would be under no obligation to participate in the Boardroom forum. However, I sincerely hope that many will; this is critical to the success of the venture.

4. The chances of TSD migrating to YouTube are a close approximation of zero.

Ooh ooh ooh

Be very, very careful. At this point Beckdawrek and possibly others would be happy to stuff money into a G-string. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Yes, we love you Beck!

There’s a good pair of comments.