A Movie First, Then a Play, Then a Movie Again!

“Hairspray” was a movie first. Then it became a musical play. Now we have a movie, based on the play, which was based on the movie.

How often has this happened?

“Little Shop of Horrors” would fit this category. So would “Phantom of the Opera”.

Is that it?

The Producers.

Chicago sorta kinda (Roxie Hart begat the stage musical which begat the movie musical)

Auntie Mame was a novel, then a play, then a movie, then a stage musical (Mame), then a movie version of the stage musical, and since the Lucille Ball musical film flopped there’s been talk of a remake starring (alternately) Cher, Christine Baranski, Bette Midler, and others, so it’s probably up there somewhere.

Chicago was first a play, opening in New York on December 30, 1926, by Maurine Watkins. She based the play on newspaper articles that she wrote in 1924 about two murderesses. So play-movie-movie-musical-movie musical, with the killer changing depending on the version.

Wikipedia of course has an article. The play is around in book form.

In the 1926 play, Francine Larrimore was Roxie Hart. Edward Ellis (that one? I believe it) was Billy Flynn. Charles Halton (typecast?) was Amos Hart. Several other movie actors were also in the cast.

Reefer Madness

Smiles of a Summer Night, a great Ingmar Bergman comedy, became a Stephen Sondheim stage musical, A Little Night Music, which then became a musical movie (and bombed).

Stephen King’s Carrie was a movie, then a Broadway musical, then remade as a movie.

Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew was made into a movie in 1929, one of the first talkies (with additional dialog by Sam Taylor :wink: ). The play (partially) was on Broadway as Kiss Me Kate in 1949 and was made into a movie in 1953.

The German play Einen Jux will er sich machen was reworked by Thornton Wilder as The Merchant of Yonkers, which flopped in 1930. Wilder reworked the play as The Matchmaker in 1955, and it succeeded. A movie starring Shirley Booth was released in 1958. The movie became the basis for the musical Hello, Dolly in 1964, and then a musical film in 1969. So we have play, play, play, movie, musical, movie musical.

A lot of the genealogy here is incorrect.

• Neither the 1964 stage musical nor the 1969 movie Hello, Dolly! was adapted from the 1958 movie The Matchmaker. Instead, they were adapted from its source, the 1955 play The Matchmaker.

• The 2002 TV movie of Carrie was adapted directly from the Stephen King novel, not the 1976 movie or the stage musical.

• The stage musical Chicago was not adapted via any movie, it was adapted directly from the 1926 playRoxie Hart that the movies were based on.

• Likewise, the stage musical Kiss Me Kate was inspired by the Shakespeare play The Taming of the Shrew, not by the rather bad 1929 movie of Taming of the Shrew.

And how, exactly, did the “source” differ from the movie?

Grease, although the movie version is very different from the original off-broadway production.

play, movie, play

Footloose is being remade as a musical, based on the play which was based on the movie.
Jump Back!

“Phantom” does not belong in this thread. The Lloyd Webber musical was not based on any of the many, many movies, but was truer to the original book.

That’s like putting “Godspell” and “Jesus Christ Superstar” on the list.

Dracula has been a book, several movies and and at least one play.

But how different is the revival from the original Off Broadway production? From what I;ve read, it’s pretty faithful to the creator’s original vision; in fact he was in on the casting process for the two leads.

Any plans to turn Wicked (the musical) into a movie?

Give YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN a few years.

I wouldn’t be surprised if eventually A CLOCKWORK ORANGE also. (Yes, it IS a very good play!)

Was Wicked a movie to begin with. No, it is NOT based on the Wizard of Oz.

I’d give 20 to 1 odds that one day soon the list will include “The Color Purple.”

I saw Eric Idle on some entertainment show this morning where he mentioned that there’s interest in a Spamalot movie (no commitment yet). Since Python Fans are second only to Trekkies (with considerable overlap) in loyalty, I can see that happening because as long as they don’t have a ridiculous budget it’ll probably be a hit.

Cry Baby is already in development as a B’way musical, but as I don’t expect Hairspray to do super well and The Producers and Rent both had very disappointing box office, it may or may not be filmed again.

A search on Netflix turns up a couple of movies by that name, but they are clearly not that story.

And while the musical was based on the book, the book was based on the 1938 movie. Loosely. Veeeeeery loosely.