A Murderously Fun MMP

Back about 16 years ago, I participated in a creative writing group. We’d share our short stories and poems, even technical writings. We also wrote several original interactive murder mysteries, and then acted them out as an event for the social group to which we all belonged. (this opening sentence sounds familiar doesn’t it?:D)
The interactive murder mysteries were fun. We did the first one before the writers’ group got started, and it was a boxed set. It was done as a social event for the local Mensa group. It involved some beatniks and some suspicious characters (the two in front with red eye), who turned out to be extraterrestrials (the red eye was pure coincidence). We decided we could do better than that. (by the way - the tall guy in the back with the tie and the uber serious look on his face? that’s The Asshole I mention waaaaaaaaaaaaay back, except he hadn’t yet turned into an asshole)

Warning: Don’t go getting any ideas about stealing these. We had the foresight to copyright the material.

Murder in Blue Blood
Our first attempt at writing our own was the most convoluted of the bunch and the most fun. We set it in one of those lovely Nantucket mansions in the 1930s. We did a lot of research on the time period, and ended up using almost none of it. We did find an antique wheel chair and decided the patriarch of the family was chair bound. He’d made his money the really old fashioned way - rum running. He had a drunk widowed daughter in law (me), her nefarious fake psychic, a black sheep son (the drunk (me)'s brother in law), a shy nurse, her boyfriend the newspaper editor, a granddaughter (the drunk’s (my) daughter who stood to inherit the bulk of Papa’s wealth), the grandduaghter’s fiancé, and a historical biographer (who turned out to be Papa’s illegitimate daughter from a one night stand).
We had the most fun trying to work out the time line - and we had to have the historian out on the grounds of the estate for an inordinately long time, but also be in a position to see and be seen thru a window. So we had her walk around the gazebo several times (but we did not name her Erica).
We had a packed room, again as a Mensa event, and we interacted with the attendees, answering questions, in character, about the murder. The premise of the evening was that it was a pre-coming out (debutante, not gay :stuck_out_tongue: ;)) reception for ‘my daughter’ (during which it was discovered that the fake psychic had been murdered) so I walked around introducing her to the guests. I walked up to one woman, ‘daughter’ in tow, and said “Have you met my lovely daughter?” The woman said “Yes, over breakfast this morning” It was her RL mom. :smiley:
We provided the gathered multitudes with munchies and soft drinks, including homemade marzipan - and later revealed the murder weapon was cyanide. Appropriate reactions ensued. At the end of the game, people wrote on slips of paper who they thought the murderer was (we all had motive and opportunity) - the winner was picked at random from the correct guesses, and received a gift certificate to Borders Books. A lot of people voted for me, but I wasn’t the murderer.
It was such a resounding success, that we were asked to do a repeat performance in Westchester for those who couldn’t make it down to the Guylandt.

The Fine Art Of Murder
Murder in Blue Blood was so well received, the chapter board requested we write and perform another one. This time we decided to incorporate the performance space (a multipurpose room in a Unitarian Church that often had art exhibits) into the story - so this one took place in a small museum/gallery (one of those store front places found in small towns). There was an Incan treasure, hidden cocaine, and Mafia ties. I got to play a bitch. I was a Mafia princess who thought she had fooled everyone by changing her name and getting a “real” job at the gallery, but nefarious activities ensued. The funny part was when one of my friends found an obit for someone with the same name as my character. Again, many incorrect votes for me.:dubious: (Do I really come off as evil/shifty/murderous?)
This one also resulted in a command performance for the northern 'burbs.

Blood and Circuits
By now we were “stars”. The Writers’ SIG Murder Mystery was one of the most looked forward to events on the calendar. And because the attendance at the first two packed the little room, the church leased us the big room (used for religious services) at only slightly more than the regular price.
Alas this script wasn’t as good. It involved Asimov’s Three Laws of Robotics and a murder that could only have been done by the robot. (Was Will Smith in our audience?) My character started off as Russian, because since the story was set in the near future, we figured an international robotics company would have an international staff, and because I liked talking like Ensign Chekov. But the others in the group kept cracking up, and kept asking me about “Moose and Squirrel” so we made her Irish. I can do a fairly decent Brogue when I practice. But on performance night, I lost it and slipped into a bad Cockney accent. And again, I was the popular suspect, even though we’d written the script so that there was no way I could be one (I’d insisted on that, just to see what would happen). But this time, there was no request for a visit to the northern burbs.

Dead Poe Society
By now, one of our regular members had moved away, The Asshole started showing his true colors, and others of us had gotten into other things, so the script was written by two people and handed out for rehearsals. I told one of the writers “I don’t care what else is going into the plot - just make me the murderer this time.” If you can’t beat 'em . . .
The story took place during a meeting of the Edgar Allen Poe Fan Club - there was to be a reading from a controversial new biography by the author, president of this august group, himself. One of the group had told us she didn’t have time to make too many of the rehearsals, so she became the victim, killed off in the first scene. She later came back into the room, after a change of clothes, wearing a name tag that said “No, I’m someone else. I just got here.” so no one would mistake her for “a ghost” and ask her questions. So, yeah, I was the murderer. And no one voted for me! :smiley:

Shortly after that, the gal who’d organized the Writer’s SIG moved to Connecticut, and we stopped meeting for that purpose. But we’re all still friends, and many of the details in this OP have come from their memories as well as mine.

I have no idea why I thought this would make a good MMPOP, but what the heck, it hasn’t been my turn in a while. I just wish I actually had more pictures from those performances to show you. I should have askd my cohorts for photos - which I’ll do now, and post later this week (or next, whattheheck) Oh - that shiny dark pink dress? I wore it as the drunk in the first story, and I wore the lacy blue dress as the Mafia princess in the second story. Had to get some extra use out of them :slight_smile:

Oooh…I get to be first! Great OP, Rosie, it looks like you had a lot of fun doing those scenarios and you have some great memories of the good times.

Nothing much to report from over here, apart from a quick hopeful look at the sky because it’s actually not raining at the moment. We’ve had so much rain recently, I was beginning to think I’d have to start paddling to work instead of getting the train.

The first graduation ceremony of the day has just started so it’s finally safe to leave the office and venture out to the rotunda. I have to collect my official finery for tomorrow when I have procession and platform duty in the morning ceremony so I have to wear proper academic dress. What fun.

Off in search of caffeine too!

Good Morning. Rosie, how fun! I wish I was so creative.
Well, once again I’m at the wrong end of the day. It’s nearly 3:00AM and I can’t sleep. I went to bed at 11:30, slept for an hour and a half and here I am. :rolleyes:

Dull weekend. Hubby Worked Saturday, and it was too hot to move too far from the bedroom. (A/C, ya know) Yesterday, we gathered up some old furniture we don’t use for a friend. He was tickled to get an office of his own. I’m glad to have the giant desk out of the bedroom.
I’m going to try to go back to sleep, I’ll check in later.

Sounds fun!

Miss Brandy waited until 6 to walk across my pillow. And nobody peed in the house. I guess I should be grateful! Silly critters. yawn

Good morning **Rosie **(and anybody else up already…)

Great OP. I was going to say something about making sure everybody cried “Wolf” about you being the murderer so you’d be clear when you really killed somebody – but you covered that angle yourself!

::Tin-foil hat on:: Unless… that last case where you insisted on being the murderer (“Aha! A clue!”) was the red herring to hide your real-life mis-deeds… :dubious:

C’mon, you can come clean… we’re all the type of good friends that help friends move bodies, here… :smiley: Nobody will tell. Honest! So, who and when was it that you offed, really? Huh!?

yawn

What if I don’t want to get up this early for work. You can’t make me. pouts and hops back into bed
Actualy, I woke up an hour early because I spent all day yesterday napping because I had this headache that wouldn’t go away. Come to find out it was hunger-related and I was starving myself. Good times!

Creebus, do I have to *bring *you the damn pie?

ETA: Oh crap, I posted in the MMP didn’t I? Do I have to keep up with this all week now?

Heh. Yes. Bring the pie, woman!
Yeah. You’re screwed. (What are you doing up so damned early?!?!)

Early? More like late. Yawn. Even the Optimator didn’t put me to sleep.

Isn’t it like…4 of the clock over there?

Late? You’re not one of them…shudder…morning people, are you?
Edited to Add: By the way, I wish to paraphrase Patrick Henry and say “Give me pie, or give me death!”

Perish the thought! No, I’m up late - listening to some Zydeco in preparation for the gigantic pot of jambalaya I’m making later this evening. Yes it’s just after 4 am. I get up nice and early during the school year though. Actually being on a schedule sounds appealing, until I remember how absolutely awesome desert summer nights are. It was a good night to grill asada; not a shred left over.

**anyrose **it sounds like you had a lot of fun. I’ve always wanted to do a murder mystery dinner party!

I think I’ll try to go to sleep now. The cats are getting mad at me for being up.

See, I’ve gotta find some rich gal and be taken care of…yeah, that’s the ticket…

We’ll worry about the MMP Retirement Fund later. That’s cool, right?

Edited to Add: I hear my cat, Boris, bonking around in the kitchen. I’ve only got one cat…why does it sound like 5?

Good morning, all.

Great OP , rosie. I tried acting once in high school. Tried out for the school play, which was “Fiddler On The Roof” that year. I was horrible inthe auditions.

Survived the weekend up in Maryland. And actually had a good time. Got to see the aftermath of a fight at a swanky bar - blood all over the floor.

Good morning/afternoon all (It’s about 3:15pm here)!

Great OP Rosie! Sounds like you have had a lot of fun with those things!

Well, we had a very long evening and night last night - no let up in Noor’s explosive diarrhoea so far (although it has lessened in volume slightly), so we have been on the phone to the ER nurse and my older sister (who is a GP/family doctor at home in Australia). So for the time being, Noor is off the formula and limited to a concoction of 1 part apple juice, 1 part rehydration salts and 2 parts water. She is sucking down at least 100ml every hour, is not running a temperature and is not showing any signs of dehydration, so we have been told not to bother going to the ER, unless the diarrhoea still hasn’t cleared up by tomorrow (by which stage she will have gone nearly 48 hours without a proper formula feed).

Sigh, I am soooo tired … :frowning:

**Dotty **-- good thoughts your (and Noor’s) way.

Sounds like your doing everything right to avoid dehydration, which is probably the most important thing. Hope the diarrhea clears soon and she can get back on normal feeding!

{{{**Dotty **+ Noor}}}

Thanks Special1! It is just all compounded by the fact that hubby is out all day today, leaving me alone with a baby who looks completely happy and normal, but whose bowel movements defy logic!!! Normally, hubby is home from work by about 2:15pm (cushy government hours!), but the Prime Minister is arriving back in the country this afternoon after having been awarded some humanitarian award by the UN a week or so back, and the airport is in the governorate where my husband works, so hubby is out working - doing I dunno what in preparation for the bowing and scraping and subsequent motorcade!

Aaagghhhh, baby crying, gotta run

Blurf. Caffeinating at my desk, which is a refuge of sorts.

VWife brought home 7 [del]little bastards[/del]kittens Friday, and they’re taking over. Three of them have become escape artistes, and I spent a good portion of the weekend out side just to avoid, “Dad, it’s loose again…” She won’t get off her ass to catch them herself… :mad:

So, she put them in the pantry, thinking that they can’t get out of there. Problem is, they’re on the floor and less than a month old. I’ve seen bigger horseflies, and I’m afraid of stepping on one. And, they love to climb my leg. :rolleyes: Ouch.

Yesterday, I fixed the mower, mowed the yard, did a bazillion little chores, smoked and shredded a butt<snerk>, made pickled sausage, and paid the bills, all because I farted around Saturday. I went to bed beat. Did I sleep well? No; there was an 11 PM page for a car fire. A Dodge Durango was made into a ball of slag, and I finally got to bed at 0030, with a 0445 alarm time. :yawn:

yes. yes you do. (insert evil laugh here) Just make sure you provide your sacreficial chocolate offereings to FairyChatMom and beerverages to SeanFactotum and NooneSpecial
And I hereby grant you the nickname (we all get one, whether we want one or not) of Queenie :smiley:

Is it just me, or does Queen Bruin cause anyone else to imagine one of Swampy’s buddies in a feather boa?

Welcome, Queen B. Being the new [del]victim[/del]kid on the block, prepare to be razzed incessantly, until our collective short attention span wears out.

Oh, shiney!

Welcome QueenB!

send beer

You’ll find this a place without deception or subliminal messages of any kind.

and pretzels, maybe with some cheese spread

We want to say something around here, we just up and say it.

a nice pizza would be good for lunch, thank you for asking!

Cool OP Rosie! I was never ever part of the plays, musicals or choir at school. I was the one they always asked to stand in back and just move my mouth, if I had to do anything like that.

I had an interesting morning, Cuervo-wise. He always goes through this ritual of padding the side of the bed until he’s invited up - and you WILL invite him or he doesn’t stop. Then he comes up and paws at the sheets by my face until I ‘choose’ to tell him whattagoodboy he is and scratch behind his ear. He usually takes that for a minute then we both fall asleep. Not this morning, this morning at 4, he started his routine but would NOT stop making me talk to him and pet him.

I finally figured out, after I’d lost a lot of sleep - that the bedroom door had slammed shut at night and he was locked in. Wife got up to open it, next thing I heard was him tearing down the stairs. Litter box I’m guessing.