A national blood donor's union

I have always asked myself that since giving blood is so important, and that giving blood is nessesary to save lives, why do they only pay blood donors around $15.00 a pint?

Well, I will now pose this question you.

I think that a pint of blood is worth alot more than $15.00 a pint. Don’t you agree?

Blood that is donated is used for blood transfusions, and during emergency surgeries when substantial blood loss has to be replaced.

But everyone else who his involved with these blood transfusions and surgeries make alot of money.

They include the doctors, nurses, other medical staff, as well as the companies who manufacture and sell the medical devices, equipment, and supplies that are used during these transfusions and surgeries.

But the blood doners themselves who are part of this food chain, so to speak, get paid next to nothing.

This is just a hypothetical scenario, but if everyone accross the country who gives blood came together and formed a blood doners union, they probably could force the medical industry to pay blood donors substantially more money.

And if more mobey is offered, thst means more and more people would be willing to give blood, which could end the risk of a shortage.

Where do you live that blood donors get paid?

Around here blood donations are strictly voluntary, no money involved. Plasma donors get paid. For some reason I can’t fathom the first payment is substantial then it goes down from there on subsequent donations.

^^^What Broomstick said.

Just a guess, but the hardest part of attracting somebody to donate any bodily fluid is getting past the initial squeamishness and fear. Once somebody does it the first time, they’ll either be freaked out and no amount of money will get them to donate a second time, or they’ll find it was far less difficult / fearful than they’d expected, and the barrier to their second donation is much smaller.

Since all of this trafficking in human parts lives in a slightly nebulous moral sphere, I can see the folks who do pay trying to keep the whole thing cheap enough it doesn’t smack too much of people selling their body parts as a job.

I’ve donated blood 125 times so far, roughly 16 gallons. My blood type is relatively rare (O neg, CMV neg), and I’m a universal donor since everyone, regardless of their blood type, can use my blood, including infants. I have also donated platelets (apheresis) since that helps cancer patients.

I have run many blood drives with the American Red Cross and currently run one in my small town. We provide around 40 units of red blood for our community every 58 days.

I have never been paid a dime to donate blood, although I have been given a t-shirt or two. I do it because I am physically able, and it benefits society. I have never needed blood, but many people need it, especially after natural disasters.

IMO people shouldn’t give blood to get money, they should do it because there is a need, and they want to help fill that need. I’m stepping down off my soapbox now.

If you make giving blood a lucrative business, people who have medical reasons not to give blood will be encouraged to try to do so. And we don’t want people who shouldn’t give blood to try to lie in order to earn money. It compromises the safety of the blood system.

Yep. What @Broomstick said. Blood is free, plasma is paid for.

That; and also

Plus, what happens if the blood donors go on strike? Would we see a lot of scabs?

I don’t know whether to raise my hand in salute or to offer physical violence

@Thudlow_Boink I saw what you did there.

I’ve given blood dozens of times and the needle insertion point is almost always too small to leave a scab.

And curious as to where the OP lives and donors are paid? I’ve donated in NYC and suburbs, and, like @dolphinboy all I’ve been given a couple of t-shirts, sandwiches and bagels. The last time I gave was an exception: donors were given a voucher for 2 NY Mets tickets, good for 2 of the cheapest seats at Tuesday-Wed-Thu games, worth $13 each.
And for platelets I’ve been given a nice beach towel and points that add up to around $20 per donation that can be redeemed for gift cards.

The fact is the United States does not always have an adequate amount of blood in the blood banks at all of the hospitals.

You always hear local and national news stories sounding the alarm about blood shortages.

Have you read the thread and the links in it?

While this may be true, that still doesn’t address your original claim of:

…which a number of posters in this thread have asked you about. Where do you live, that they are paying blood donors?

There is an online article at “The Gaurdian” website about poor people who sell their blood to make ends meet.

Is it the opinion article below? If so, that is about selling blood plasma, not giving whole blood, the distinction between the two having been already noted by several people upthread. Blood plasma is used for creating various medications, but has nothing to do with blood drives and blood donations, nor is it the blood which is needed for treating accident victims and people having surgeries.

As far as I know, it is rare (if not unheard of) for people who are donating whole blood in the U.S. to be paid for doing so (other than token gifts).

(Also, BTW, @Michael_Varn, if you are going to reference an article or other source in your post, it’s super-helpful to include a link to that article, so we can see what you’re referring to!)

Michael, are you British?

Whole blood donors are not paid in the U.S., but people who donate blood components like plasma or platelets may be. People who donate blood for research may also be paid.

Paid whole-blood donors were phased out because of the risk of hepatitis; this was before we knew about HIV.

You need to go to your room and think about what you did.

I actually can remember my mother getting paid for blood. That was back in the early 60’s so it really did happen in the at one point in time. She didn’t stop donating after she stopped being paid, but us kids got mad about it because she would spend her “blood money” on grinders which were too expensive for her to feed us often.

I was rather grumpy the last time I donated because they didn’t have the nice cookies and just gave us a few Oreos and a little paper cup of orange juice.