A new pleasure! Toad Sweat Dessert hot sauce on iced cream!

Finally? You ordered it just a few days ago! You must have had a burning desire for the stuff! :wink:

Oh yeah!

Glad you liked it!

[QUOTE=ultrafilter]
[ul][li]The lemon vanilla has a very nice flavor and is just barely hot. The lemon flavor is a little strong, but I won’t complain.[/li][li]The chocolate orange is absolutely fantastic–slightly hotter than the lemon vanilla, but not by much. I will probably order a larger bottle of it.[/li][li]The key lime is noticeably hotter than the last two, and also has a very strong taste of lime. It might mix well in a drink of some kind.[/li][li]The cranberry is pretty hot, almost to the point that it overwhelms the actual flavor. It’s the only one that was noticeably spicy in the presence of ice cream.[/ul][/li][/QUOTE]

Interesting. Especially since the website rates the Vanilla lemon heat as 1/10, the chocolate orange and the cranberry both equally as 4/10, and the key lime as hottest at 6/10.

I definitely found the key lime gave the iced cream a lovely burn!

I did think the cranberry was hotter than the chocolate orange tho.

Maybe the key lime just seems hotter because of its high citric acid content. :shrug:

I just ordered this as a birthday gift for my mom. Thanks for the heads-up!

You’re all a bunch of nutters with tastebuds altered by years of physical abuse and/or a dedication to things man was not meant to know.

Thank you. We try. :smiley:

I used up pretty much the last drops of the Key lime sauce last night on iced cream.

What was at the bottom was rather granular, and about twice as hot as it had been previously. At least subjectively, anyway.

YUM!!!

elfbabe, if you see this, you can get me my father’s day present early by getting more of those hot sauces for me! They were obtained originally in Ottawa during our visit. Use the Mercotan Family credit card!!! (Some more of those hot caramels would be lovely, too!)

love,
Dadgop

Hot caramels?

Yup. Caramel candies with an added capsaicin kick.

Quite nice.

I’m convinced; I ordered the mini-bottle sampler pack. I am not as much in love with hot sauce as some are - I don’t like the hotness to overwhelm the flavor - but I’ve got quite a sweet tooth, so we’ll see how it all mixes together.

And I know a lot of people who would love it as a gift, so thanks to Qadgop for the idea!

Let us know how you like 'em!

Yeah, y’all convinced me – I ordered some too. I hope it’s not too hot – I can eat peppers, but I can’t eat things like tobasco sauce; it’s just painful. The idea of cooling it immediately with ice cream is appealing.

I do have email, ya know. And a phone. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I’ll do my best, but the store is right in the middle of a move to a new, far away location. They closed down on May 23rd and don’t open back up until Wednesday.

Yeah, but you tend to answer me here a whole lot more quickly and often than you do on email or by phone, ya know. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can always order it online, then. :wink:

See ya in a few days!

Well, they are pretty good. I made some chocolate cupcakes the day before the sauces arrived, but something went wrong and they are too crumbly to eat on their own. What to do? Why, top the cupcakes with ice cream and Toad Sweat Hot Sauce, of course! I used to make a chocolate cake with chili powder in it, and the effect of the sauces reminds me of that.

Except for the lemon-vanilla (the mildest flavor), the sauces may be too hot for those sensitive to spicy things. With the other flavors, I find I mostly taste the heat - which is not unpleasant - rather than the fruity notes. I have to really pile it on to distinguish the different kinds, then it threatens to get too spicy for me.

My favorite so far is the Orange-Chocolate one. But I’m going to experiment with them more. And I think they are worth giving to heat-loving family members for holidays. The sampler size package of four is so inexpensive that I’d recommend it to anyone who is the least bit intrigued by this thread. But hopefully you aren’t, like me, trying to watch your calories right when these sauces arrive! I’m trying to fit into a dress for this Wednesday’s Rufus Wainwright concert and, well…*fat *chance! :frowning:

My boyfriend and I ordered a 4-pack for his mom as a birthday present and now I’m waiting impatiently to give them to her so I can try them (another month yet! grr). I have a feeling they’re going to be a big hit. Thanks for the tip!

I wanted to revive the thread will a tidbit I heard on the radio this morning. QtM, are you anywhere near South Carolina, to taste the goodness that is Cold Sweat Ice Cream?

“It tastes like fire – with a side of fire.”

bump in case anyone has had the cojones to try this Cold Sweat treat.

I’d like to, but it’s nowhere near me.

Someone in my husband’s office apparently brought in the sauces at work today. My husband tried the lemon and the key lime. He liked them both over a little plain vanilla ice cream.

He likes spicy food in general so I’m not surprised.