A, o, way to go Ohio (and New Jersey), you're bunch of morons

Ohio Limits Opioid Prescriptions to Just Seven Days

New Jersey limited it to 5 days.

This pisses me off.

Since when do we let politicians into medical care? Is this a conservative principle? *Politicians *are going to decide if a person is in pain and deserves relief? Many people have chronic pain conditions. I have never dealt with chronic pain, but I know many that have.

My wife had a total hip replacement due to an arthritic condition. She didn’t get it right away, though. It took doctors a while to figure it out. Then once they saw the hip was actually disintegrating in the joint, the scheduled surgery. But, they couldn’t do the surgery right away, because she was anemic. Long story shory, she had to wait to 10 months for the surgery. In terrible pain. Even with escalating opioids, she would still wake up crying because of the pain. 10 goddamned months. She had her other hip replaced 11 months later. If a doctor had tried to deny her pain relief, I would have beaten him senseless.

Ohio, where being in Ohio isn’t suffering enough. We want people to suffer.

If someone were to remove Gov. John Kasich’s testicles with a pair of pliers and a blow torch, I wonder if he would still be in pain on day 8? If ever had a back injury, would HE be OK with only 7 days pain relief? Or would he go to a doctor in another state? Or are their special exemptions for the ruling class?

Oh, and the photo in the link, thems were people who passed out after shooting heroin, which this bill will not address.

Maybe it’s because the State sucks and life there is unbearable?

I left Ohio in 1984. Never looked back. If you are still there…why???
Grrrrrrrrrrr:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Fully support the rant, so let’s get that out of the way.

Tangentially, “A, o, way to go”: Is that a Ramones reference, or what?

The Pretenders. Chrissie is from Ohio.

As someone who lives with chronic pain (and no pain relief, due in large part to the national hysteria on this issue), I heartily endorse this pitting.

Since when do we let religion into government? Similar answer to your question, I think.

I really worry about the heavy, heavy pressure on doctors to not prescribe narcotic pain relievers. If I thought this bill would take all the pressure of of medical providers prescribing pain-killers I could almost support it as a compromise. But I’m sure that won’t be the case so… it sucks.

Oh… and it can have financial implications for patients, too. Often you would pay the same price for a prescription whether it’s for 5 days or for 30. With this you’d have to pay again and again every 5 days. And that’s if you are “lucky” enough to get the refills you actually need.

Thought of something else. You know the truism that says: “It is better to let 100 guilty men go free than it is to send one innocent man to prison.”? Something similar could (and should) be said about this issue:

“It is better to let 100 scheming addicts get pain meds they don’t need than to let one person in serious pain go without meds that they DO need.”

Left Ohio for good in 2001. It really is a miserable place.

Are you fucking kidding me? How can they be dumb enough to think this will help with the opioid epidemic? Do they not get that onerous legal hurdles only make people look for less than legal ways to do things?

Sure, people stealing opioids is not great. But it’s a whole lot better than them turning to the streets and getting the harsh stuff that’s laced with who-knows-what.

I mean, we already are seeing that switching to treatment for addiction and helping abusers get back on track is the better way to deal with this, and they double down the other way?

Also, amazing conservative principles! Let’s regulated the hell out of doctors. Those people you’re also whining should have to deal with the free market rather than have a mandate.

I’m hoping this becomes an North Carolina situation, and they start losing doctors. It sucks, but maybe that would be what will pressure them into do what’s right instead of being bigots against drug users.

Because, yeah, that’s what this is. People with legitimate needs for drugs or illegitimate needs for drugs–neither matter. Drug users are EVIL and we MUST STOP THEM.

Fuck these people. Fuck them until they associate fucking with pain.

(And I’m someone who is fucking scared to use opioids, and even tend to avoid using the cough syrup that I’m prescribed except when I have to.)

Part of it is conservative fake moralizing, similar to how it’s preferable to deny health care to millions of people if it prevents the intolerable injustice of having even one person get health care that he doesn’t “deserve”.

Unfortunately the medical profession is onside with this, so it goes beyond conventional politics. I’ve heard rumblings about ER policies that would restrict them from giving opioid painkillers to walk-ins, for fear that addicts might exploit the situation, which if fully implemented would mean that you could be wheeled into the ER with someone following behind with your detached arm, and they still wouldn’t give you a painkiller, just in case it was some kind of trick.

This is absolutely a thread hijack. I don’t think it’s a thread shit, but I ackowledge that it’s not germane to the topic.

I want to acknowledge the relevance and value of the qoted post to the thread. Thank you for your contribution, BigT.

I know you don’t like the extra attention. But there is an active effort to suppress your posts, simply because a specific group despises you. Fuck them.

As someone who lives with A Chronic Pain (one whom Trenton is too Chicken Shit To Impeach) I feel your pain. Chris Christie is a slimy bedbug/tick who has grown FAT off of the blood of the good people of my state.
He is still Governor though.

LEGALLY… just what exactly do you expect us to do about governor No-Account-Shit-Eating-Shit-Spewing-Sub-Human-Son-Of-A-Really-Fat-Bitch???

+1

“But, but, addicts!!” who are apparently more important than people with chronic pain, like your wife, people in this thread, and people in my family. I hope your wife is pain-free now.

I understand the motivation behind these laws. There are a lot of people who seek or grant prescriptions to opioids that they really shouldn’t have, and doctors should use care when prescribing them, and not be afraid to say no when needed.

But while I understand the problem, this is an idiotic solution. Yes, there are a lot of people who would be helped by limiting their opioid prescriptions… but there are a lot of people who would be hurt by it, too. That’s why we have prescriptions in the first place, so trained professionals can (to the best of their ability) figure out which are which, and only prescribe drugs to those who would benefit from them.

It’s worth noting that these prescriptions cannot be called into the pharmacy as others can. So every seven (or five) days, the patient has to go into the doctor’s office and pick up the physical prescription, go to the pharmacy with it, and wait or return for their necessary pain relief. Just exactly what someone living with chronic and unadressable by other means pain wants to do every five (or seven) days.

This is a typical War On Drugs measure that does nothing at all to further the cause of preventing illegal drug use, and only makes life miserable and inconvenient for everybody else.

And I just want to say thanks. steatopygia as well.

Although I feel compelled to mention that the actual lyric is, “Eh, oh, where did you go Ohio.”

/nitpick

Otherwise, carry on.

Snipped.

Since this hadn’t been addressed yet, in North Carolina the laws dealing with controlled substances (Which include dosage and duration limits) were established in 1971 for North Carolina with the North Carolina Controlled Substance Act.

If I’m reading Ohio’s laws correctly, they’ve been limiting the dosage and duration of controlled substances since 1998.

I am not a lawyer, so I could be easily misreading the laws.

That being said, I have never agreed with these laws. I believe the dosage and duration should be the responsibility of the tending physician and patient. I do believe a patient should have to sign an informed consent waiver if they go beyond the recommended limits on either, but I think that’s the extent the law should go to. (And the reason I support that is to protect the physician.)

Thank god I don’t live in one of those states. I’ve been in situation where I’ve had severe pain for an extended period. I also travel extensively. What’s a traveler suppose to do?

I understand that now New York has mandated that any doctor that prescribes opioids has to go through a three hour course. Ridiculous.

Then these moron legislators wonder why there is a heroin epidemic. It is cheaper and easier to get.

Now wait a goddamn minute here. The law isn’t at all like that terrible MSN article makes it out to be.

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

From the Columbus Dispatch: