A Perfectly Reasonable Amount of Schadenfreude about Things Happening to Trump & His Enablers (Part 1)

I got it; I even snorted a bit which is rare for me.

With the kind of pressure that Count Chocula must be under, I think we’d have to expect a bit more 10W40 leakage any day now.

ETA: that’s just a classically handsome man.

:: shudder ::

Also, it has to be false to be libel. She can sue but she’ll lose if the statements are even in the neighborhood of true:

A statement does not need to be literally true in order for this defense to be effective. Courts require that the statement is substantially true in order for the defense to apply. This means that even if the defendant states some facts that are false, if the “gist” or “sting” of the communication is substantially true, then the defendant can rely on the defense.

https://www.findlaw.com/injury/torts-and-personal-injuries/defenses-to-libel-and-slander.html

I’m still amazed that Trump can command such loyalty. He rarely praises his friends, and only then so he can give more credit to himself. He throws them under the bus at the first sign of trouble, he publicly disparages them, he never rewards them for their loyalty, yet they’re willing to destroy their lives and careers for him. He can turn them into Stockholm Syndrome victims in 15 minutes with his whiny voice and contemptible manners. Why do they still think siding with him will make their lives better?

I’m in agreement. He’s thrown so many around him under the bus that the odds are good you’ll be one of them.

Here guys, feel free to troll Star Wars Trumpy Insurrection Supporter with this:

Imgur

Giuliani has reportedly laid off some of his entourage, and as many suspect appears to be in dire financial straights. Not surprising given that he was fired from his lawfirm for being a Trump toady. And God only knows what kind of debt he’s in to shady Russians.

Choice quote:

In October 2019, the Washington Post reported that Giuliani was giving his ex-wife Judith $42,000 a month in alimony; a sum amounting to more than half a million dollars a year. The Post also reported that Giuliani had made between $7 and $9 million in both 2016 and 2017.

Rudy, if you can’t figure out how to budget for emergencies (like losing your only paying clients) on $7 million a year, you’ve officially failed at life.

Insurrectionist Landon Copeland is having a hearing for storming the Capitol. How is it going? Let’s take a peek!

Go to @ MacFarlaneNews on twitter and there’s a play by play of the hearing which is ongoing. The scrollback is surreal. Latest:

I think Trumplestiltskin does this to all of his allies and a number of his other supporters too. The more he treats people like crap, the more that people think that he must be a great person in order to get away with treating people like crap. It’s a crap feedback loop.

I know. It’s getting hard to afford a bump these days.

What?

How did that guy not get slapped with extra contempt of court charges?

Someone needs a really long time out.

He gets to be assessed now to see if he’s competent.

Is there a DSM-5 code for “I don’t have to obey your laws because I am a white male”?

At one point he tried to object to another defense lawyer claiming his client had “Foxitus” after watching six months of Fox News during the pandemic.

“Foxitus”? This is a defense argument now? My client watched so much Fox News that he became deranged?

Only works if twinkies are served during the viewing.

Atamasama’s points about Trump being an emotional abuser (and finding willing victims) make a lot of sense.

Any explanation of why Trump found followers in the first place, and why some remain enthralled by him, has to rest on the fact that those fans are people with a pro-authoritarian mindset. They are fundamentally toadies, always in search of a bully to worship.

Trump is a ridiculous and contemptible person, so it seems baffling that anyone would see him as the Big Bully of their dreams. But remember that his fans are not people of intellect. They are easily fooled. And they have 24/7 news coverage telling them that Trump is smart and strong and a Good Leader. They believe.

It’s also true that some of Trump’s enablers are NOT fooled by the right-wing portrait of Trump as smart and strong—but they follow anyway. Mainly this is because they, like Trump, can so easily exploit those who are fooled.

Also, I suspect, there’s a dynamic involved in the pro-authoritarian part of the human species, in which they kind of prefer ridiculous figureheads. Hitler and Mussolini were famously rather silly men—not personally impressive. (Or at least their followers had to work pretty hard to find them impressive–propaganda-arms of their parties had their work cut out for them.) The same is true of the North Korean dictators—not personally-impressive men. Putin? He’s a bit smarter than the Kims, Hitler, Mussolini, and Trump. But he also has his clownish, over-the-top qualities, what with the shirtless horse-riding photos and such.

What I suspect is that the authoritarian-minded who form the support system for these dictator-figures are happy to give the masses the “our guy is a Superior Being” propaganda, but for themselves, they enjoy secretly despising their bully, and laughing at him behind his back. That allows them to fantasize about becoming his replacement. It lets them keep their pride.

That just sounds completely ridiculous.

Wait…when you put it like that…

Foxitus. If your election delusions last more than four months, please consult a doctor.