A physics question about melting ice in a cup

Imagine a typical fast-food drink cup, made of some kind of heavy waxy-coated paper, half full of ice with no liquid. It is in a room at (say) 70 degrees F. It naturally starts to melt, gradually changing the ice into water.

The question is: will it melt faster* if left alone, or if the water is removed (say) three times during the melting at roughly equal intervals?

*By “melt faster” I mean complete the process of melting faster, in case that makes a difference to the scenario. In other words, the time starting at point A, all ice, and ending at point B, all water.

It will melt faster if the water is left in the cup.
Water is a much, much better conductor of heat than air, so if you want the ice to melt, you want as much ice in thermal contact with the walls of the container, and the water will do that better than air.

It would be easy to test with constant water removal. Just use two identical cups of ice, but put a hole in the bottom of one.

Thank you both, asked and answered.

I thought I’d like to previous discussion on this subject:

This sounds right to me. FWIW I’m a physicist who has specialized in heat, temperature, and heat transfer for the last 20 years.

In my sink now are two plastic cups, one with holes in the bottom, both with 3 ice cubes, weighing an identical 66g. It is 2:50pm, I will advise as the experiment progresses.

Science!

Dry air is a terrible conductor. In a cup of melting ice the air won’t stay dry long, but it is mostly the water content in the air that is contributing to any melting when the ice is not submerged in water.

Man, that is some slow-melting ice!

At 4:10 I have about a quarter inch of liquid water in the cup without holes. There appears to be more melting in that cup despite the tiny amount of liquid.

This is taking a lot longer than I expected. Must be hard water.

At least we know you’re not in Texas where ice would be forming in the cup in your kitchen, not melting.

Were you keeping the ice at liquid helium temps? I’m amazed that three ice cubes can take so long to melt.

6:30 the ice is almost completely melted. The cup with the water is clearly more melted than the draining cup.

Longest lasting ice ever.

I also got in trouble for leaving the ice cube tray on the counter. Science is sacrifice.

That indeed was last week for me.
We had no ice for a long time due to our water being contaminated.

Back before refrigeration, one of the first ways ice cut from lakes was stored was by suspending large blocks of ice below ground level with air surrounding the blocks. You can see an example of the ice barn at about minute 4 of this clip:

The air around the ice was such a good insulator that they could store ice like this for months in the South to be sold over the summer.

Wasn’t it more common to store it long-term in the North, and ship it south as needed?

It still lasted through the summer, of course, but northern summers aren’t as hot as southern ones.

The show was about one of the first people to figure out the ice trade. He had tried many ways of storing and shipping ice before figuring out that having air gaps worked to provide good insulation. But I’m sure that as ice was commercialized, they worked out any inefficiencies in the system and would have done things like store it in the North.

I swear allegiance to the physical sciences… and enmity to the occult in all its forms…

How’s that?

Dry air and water vapor aren’t hugely different in their conductivities. Water’s a bit better because it is a lighter gas, but it’s not twice as good. However, a quick look at a psychrometric chart shows saturated air around icewater will only be around half a percent water, so almost all the conductivity will be from the nitrogen and oxygen. The water vapor will make a difference that would be hard to detect even with nice expensive instruments.