A poll about checking the health of food

I work in a grocery store and I have noticed the amount of times that parents will flip out about the contents in their food. An easy example is when a child says “mommy/daddy I want this yogurt” and the parent will look and say “noooo we can’t have this it has Aspertame (spelling?) in it! Terrrrrriblllleeee!!!” and then say no. Another thing that they flip out about are the amount “artificial flavors/additives” that are in foods. Last but not least, organic options are HUGE in my store (especially milk…can’t get enough of that stuff in Indy apparently).

I understand a parent wanting to watch the fat content on foods so that their kids aren’t turning huge, and I understand watching calories a bit (same reason), but I never remember my parents reading the ingredients of every single thing they bought for me. My poll has to do with this: Parents do you do this with your kids (and to what extent), and (former) kids…did this happen to you?

When I was a kid in the 80s, we weren’t allowed to chew bubblegum with sugar in it, or consume cereal with sugar as the first ingredient.

Didn’t keep me from being fat, but I do have nice teeth :slight_smile:

I was a kid in the 80s too and I was allowed sugary gum, soda and cereal. My own kids have never been allowed sugary gum and cereal with sugar as the first ingredient is allowed only occasionally but never as a breakfast food…it is eaten either as a snack or a dessert.

I voted that I check…and I do but I am not all anal about it. If the kids have been eating a lot of junk recently, I will make an effort to buy healthier foods and if they have been eating fairly healthful foods I will allow some junk. It’s really more of a balance thing…all things in moderation and all that. :slight_smile: I do like to know the ingredients in prepared or packaged food, but it doesn’t really sway my buying or eating habits all that much. If a meal component has a lot of artificial coloring or flavorings I will try to pair it with something healthier for example, but my kids eat plenty of sugar, plenty of aspartame and God only knows what other chemicals. :wink:

I rarely buy organic, and never just for the sake of it being organic. I have read and seen enough to know that the “organic” label doesn’t always mean better, fresher or healthier, so I buy based on all available data and price (I am not going to pay more for organic anything if the non-organic version is just as good.)

My parents were far less educated about what we ate, but our diets (mine as a child and my own children) are pretty similar with the above-mentioned exceptions.

When I was a kid in the 70s, the idea of “low sodium” or “fat should be no more than X% of your diet” was rather unheard of. Food labeling wasn’t as rigorous or detailed as it is now, either, or at least I don’t believe that it was.

My mother was opposed to sugary cereals. We bought cereal one box at a time and I could get Apple Jacks every fifth or sixth box, otherwise it was Raisin Bran or Cheerios. She also disliked artificial colors, but that was largely because of stains, not only on clothes and carpets, but the “kool-aid mustache” sported by so many of my friends. So no kool-aid, Hawaiian Punch or similar drinks for me.

My mother was also distrustful of food that came in boxes that had “real” food counterparts. I was an adult before I tasted instant mashed potatoes, Rice-a-Roni or Stove Top stuffing. I have no use for any of them.

child of the 60s and 70s, we had oatmeal rather than sugar death bomb cereal, real food instead of boxed convenience foods [only time i got convenience foods was at someone else’s house, or at school/restaurant] we drank water, coffee/tea, milk, juice and very occasionally koolaid. I think back until I was maybe 12 I had soda only when sick [generally either flat ginger ale or flat cola for stomach bugs] and never at home.

I check everything. My parents also checked, in that they made sure we ate mostly healthy foods, but not as much as I do. I mostly check that the sugar content is reasonable, i.e. below 20% and sometimes look at protein and fat as well. I also look if the ingredients are mostly things I recognise as food. If there are more additives than food, I tend not to buy it.

One of my kids’ friends is the daughter of a naturopath, and she has all her friends running scared of artificial colorings. So my kid checks all the labels, and won’t drink or eat anything with any artificial coloring.

Didn’t answer. My parents check. I check. Not because my parents did, but like because many parents, I don’t want my kids to consume too much junk (and they consume plenty of junk - I just try and limit it).