A Poll About Tide (laundry detergent)

I’ve used liquid Tide pretty much my whole adult life, and I can’t tell any difference. This isn’t very strong evidence, as I’m not very good at identifying scents and aromas.

The trend is towards less scent. I mean, 15 years ago, people wore cologne/perfume regularly. Now, it’s rare. We’ve even had corporate memos going around asking us to back off the cologne because some co-workers were complaining that they were “allergic” to it.

Tide IS expensive compared to other brands, but I wait for coupons to minimize the gap. My biggest complaint about laundry involves the energy efficient washers that aren’t getting the clothes clean.

P.S. FYI, my favorite Tide scent is the sports scent.

P.P.S. I’m kind of shocked and amused at the passionate posts about laundry detergent.

Apparently, the good people at P&G are aware that people think Tide is expensive. Because on the Target website, they have a 100oz bottle of Tide Free and Gentle liquid detergent on sale for $10.99 (regularly $11.99). But they also have a 100oz bottle of Tide Simply Clean & Sensitive liquid detergent on sale for $6.49 (regularly $7.39).

No idea what the difference in formulation is between the two.

I only buy dirt-cheap generic unscented laundry detergent, which seems to work just fine, so who knows. Why would anyone buy scented laundry detergent? Won’t you end up violating workspace rules about “scent” or have it clash with your deoderant’s smell?

The goal is to make sure that the laundry detergent scent along with the fabric softener scent, the soap scent, shampoo scent and whatever perfume or cologne you’re using make a nice bouquet that sufficiently masks your natural body odor.

We buy the Costco (Kirkland branded) Tide. Why buy the brand name when you can buy the same thing with Costco’s name on it?

nm.

Tide started to stink a few years ago, a musty chemical smell - I avoid it and stick to the colorfree varieties of detergent. I rinse twice sometimes use vinegar in the final rinse. clothes have no smell anymore.

If you dig deep, deep down on the Tide websites, you’ll find that the ingredients for orange bottle Tide include several enzymes that aren’t listed for Tide SC&F.

If you’re a family with dirty kids or beat up work clothes, I suppose that can make a difference. As for me, I’m retired and the dirtiest activity I do is mow the lawn, so I feel like I can save a few bucks without much risk.

A lot of people I know who have lower incomes buy their cleaning supplies (and other common necessities) from websites like Offer Up. I would imagine you could steal Tide and sell it quick and easy within 24 hours.

I’m with you. My clothes are always clean and fresh after they’ve been laundered. I use Arm & Hammer (the Fresh Burst smells amazing), Purex, and another cheap brand but don’t recall the name. Sam’s Club was giving out samples of Persil, which I think is more expensive than Tide. It smells wonderful but I won’t spend the money on it.