A Poll for Dopers in their 20s and younger (nostalgia for those older)

1. [Old man in a thick southern accent]Oh Belvedere! Come heah boy! nope

2. [Very gay male accent]Excuse me while I slip into something a little more spectacular! uh-uh

3. [Old woman]Where’s the beef?! yes

4. Just a swangin’… nope

5. Don’t worry, be happy… yes

6. [Drunk suave accent]How’d all these people get in my room? no

7. And that’s the way it was… two hundred years ago today no

8. Gag me with a spoon! no

9. It’s time to put on make-up/It’s time to light the lights… no

10. [Southern female- really drawled]Mel, kiss my grits! no

11. Bueller… Bueller… yep!

12. PING PONG BALLS! no

I’m 21.

Well, I’m 24. Here goes.

1. Oh yeah. Good ol’ Looney Tunes.
  2. Don’t recognize.
  3. I didn’t learn about “Where’s the beef?” until years after. Long story, but amusing to me at the time.
  4. Nope.
  5. Oh yeah.
  6. Nope.
  7. Nope.
  8. Yes, although some of us also said “Gag me with a pitchfork,” which later gave way to “Fuck me gently with a chainsaw, Heather.”
  9. One of the greatest. Shows. Ever.
  10. I didn’t hear it until years later. Never saw the show.
  11. Let my Cameron go…
  12. Nope.
  1. Got all of 'em. I feel very old…

Adding:
F1 - a “shoephone”

F2 - “Sweetums, lay your ugly head down upon your wretched bed.”

F3- “Lots of curves, you bet, even more when you get to…”

I’m 22 and a half. Filling it out without reading the rest of the posts so as to remain pure:

1. [Old man in a thick southern accent]Oh Belvedere! Come heah boy!

No idea

2. [Very gay male accent]Excuse me while I slip into something a little more spectacular!

Ditto
3. [Old woman]Where’s the beef?!**

This, I’ve heard. Wasn’t it a tagline from a fast food commercial? I seem to remember a politician using it in a debate too (Reagan?).

4. Just a swangin’…

Nope

5. Don’t worry, be happy…

The song? Pretty recognizable, IMO.

6. [Drunk suave accent]How’d all these people get in my room? (This one a lot of people over 30 probably won’t get.)

Sorry.

7. And that’s the way it was… two hundred years ago today

:confused:
8. Gag me with a spoon!**

I have heard this, but I can’t place it. I feel like I’ve heard an imitation of it.

9. It’s time to put on make-up/It’s time to light the lights…

Dunno
10. [Southern female- really drawled]Mel, kiss my grits!**

I’ve definitely seen someone imitate this. Probably a catch phrase from a movie or TV show.

11. Bueller… Bueller…

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off definitely made the crossover into our generation. I don’t think I can name a friend of mine that hasn’t ever seen it.

12. PING PONG BALLS!

No clue

24-year-old here. I recognize 5 and 8, but only vaguely.

I am in my mid-30s … I think I’d be classified an early Gen X-er. Lessee here …

Nope, don’t recognize it

2. [Very gay male accent]Excuse me while I slip into something a little more spectacular!
    Nope

3. [Old woman]Where’s the beef?!
    Yep, know this one

4. Just a swangin’…
    Nope

Yep

6. [Drunk suave accent]How’d all these people get in my room? (This one a lot of people over 30 probably won’t get.)
    Nope

Yep

8. Gag me with a spoon!
    Yep

Yep (needed some thought, though … way deep in the memory banks and recalled only rarely)

10. [Southern female- really drawled]Mel, kiss my grits!
    Yep

11. Bueller… Bueller…
    Yep

12. PING PONG BALLS!
    Nope

Now … to read how everyone else did :smiley:

I’m 22, for the record.

1. [Old man in a thick southern accent]Oh Belvedere! Come heah boy!: No clue.

2. [Very gay male accent]Excuse me while I slip into something a little more spectacular!: Sounds very familiar, and I’d know it was a “pop culture reference”, but not where it’s from.

3. [Old woman]Where’s the beef?!: Uh, the commercials run by the Beef people before “Beef: It’s what’s for dinner” took off?

4. Just a swangin’…: Huh?

5. Don’t worry, be happy…: An 80s song by Bobby McFerrin (sp?), better known (to me) as the guy who narrated "How the Elephant got its Trunk."

6. [Drunk suave accent]How’d all these people get in my room? (This one a lot of people over 30 probably won’t get.): **???

7. And that’s the way it was… two hundred years ago today: Means nothing to me.

8. Gag me with a spoon!: 80s Valley Girl speak for “gross”.

9. It’s time to put on make-up/It’s time to light the lights…: Zilch.

10. [Southern female- really drawled]Mel, kiss my grits!: Nada.

11. Bueller… Bueller…: From Ferris Beuller’s Day Off, incidentally a movie I hate but everyone else my age seems to love.

12. PING PONG BALLS!: Blotto.

Hmmm … after looking at the spoilers … turns out I really didn’t know this one exactly. I can only recall who said it:

Walter Cronkite, right?

I’m 21 and I only recognize 5 and 11. 5 has been in relatively recent commercials, but I actually know the song because my dad liked it - and 11 because that’s my dad’s favorite movie.

21, and I don’t recognise most of them. 8 and 11 I’ve heard used before, but I don’t know where they’re from, 1 sounds familiar but I can’t place it. 5 is the only one I actually know (and now I’m going to have that song stuck in my head all night, thank you).

I’m 28. Omitted items=I have no clue or witty comment

1. [Very gay male accent]Excuse me while I slip into something a little more spectacular!
    **Dunno. Guess: Zorro the Gay Blade

2. [Old woman]Where’s the beef?!
    **Wendy’s commercial, I’m not that young.

3. Just a swangin’…
    I listen to country music, so I’m assuming this is from the John Anderson song.

4. Don’t worry, be happy…
    **Here’s a little song I wrote, you might want to sing it note for note… :smiley: **

5. [Drunk suave accent]How’d all these people get in my room? (This one a lot of people over 30 probably won’t get.)
    **Not sure. Guess: Arthur

6. Gag me with a spoon!
    **I’ve definitly heard this, but I don’t know the origin.

7. It’s time to put on make-up/It’s time to light the lights…
    **The Muppet Show, and now you’ve replaced Ma-na-na-na with the theme song as my current bug-the-wife ear worm you bastard

8. [Southern female- really drawled]Mel, kiss my grits!
    **I thought this was from Maude, but then I looked it up… wrong one-syllable-woman’s-name '70s sitcom

9. Bueller… Bueller…
    oh, please :rolleyes: :cool:

I’m 31, and I only know the answer to F1.

38-year-old

1. [Old man in a thick southern accent]*Oh Belvedere! Come heah boy!*NO CLUE

2. [Very gay male accent]*Excuse me while I slip into something a little more spectacular!*NO CLUE

3. [Old woman]*Where’s the beef?!*HEARD IT SAID, DIDN’T HAVE TV AT THE TIME

4. Just a swangin’… NO CLUE

5. Don’t worry, be happy… HATE THAT SONG–PLAYED AT COLLEGE FRIEND’S MEMORIAL

6. [Drunk suave accent]How’d all these people get in my room? (This one a lot of people over 30 probably won’t get.) NO CLUE

7. And that’s the way it was… two hundred years ago today NO CLUE

8. Gag me with a spoon! HIGH SCHOOL GRAD 1985–know this one well

9. It’s time to put on make-up/It’s time to light the lights… NO CLUE

10. [Southern female- really drawled]Mel, kiss my grits! HEARD IT SAID, DIDN’T HAVE TV AT THE TIME

11. Bueller… Bueller… HIGH SCHOOL GRAD 1985–know this one well

12. PING PONG BALLS! NO CLUE

I’m 25 and I’ve always considered myself somewhat of a pop culture junkie, so here goes…

Thurston Howell?

I’ve heard it, no idea where it comes from.

3. [Old woman]Where’s the beef?!

Wendy’s/Arby’s commerical from the 80s. Later used by Mondale in a debate.

4. Just a swangin’…

Huh?

Bobby McFerrin! Be happy now! Woo hoo hoo hoo!

Huh again?

Andy Rooney?

8. Gag me with a spoon!

Valley girl accent. Or more specifically, Frank Zappa’s “Valley Girl”

Bugs Bunny?

10. [Southern female- really drawled]Mel, kiss my grits!

Alice?

11. Bueller… Bueller…

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Ben Stein is my hero!

12. PING PONG BALLS!

Huh the third?

I guess “pop culture junkie” is no longer a title I can claim.

I’m 20, and I only get 3, 5, 8, 9, and 11.

24, and I only kinda get 3, 4, 11, and 12. And most of that is because I watch the Simpsons and Family Guy, and Family Guy really uses 80s pop culture. I wind up finding myself going to Wikipedia to figure out what the heck a joke was.

I’m a 20-something for two more weeks…

1. nope

2. nope

3. Yup, I remember these commericials vividly. They brough back the “hefty hefty hefty, whimpy, whimpy, whimpy” commericial recently, so I wouldn’t be shocked if others like this one resurface too.

4. nope

5. our sixth grade teacher taught us the words and we sang it right before class ended on Fridays.

6. no…

7. no

8. hmm. though familiar with that valley girl-esque expression, I couldn’t pin-point this to a source. I guess there must have been one, though.

9. I loved that show!

10. nope.

11. of course!

12. I don’t think so. Was it that Val Kilmer movie with the house full of popcorn?

42 here and I only knew 5 of them. I think this may have less to do with age and more to do with what kind of reruns you watch. Especially with all of the retro shows (I love the 80’s) on cable in the past few years.

1. [Old man in a thick southern accent]Oh Belvedere! Come heah boy! **No clue[/b[

2. [Very gay male accent]Excuse me while I slip into something a little more spectacular! **Why does this seem like something John Leguizamo would have said in To Wong Foo…? I know it can’t be, though.[/b[

3. [Old woman]Where’s the beef?! Some burger commercial. I was too young to remember it well. Some old lady bitching about the hamburgers not having enough meat.

4. Just a swangin’… ** Another vote for no clue**

5. Don’t worry, be happy… I remember the music video for this Bobby Darin song. It had Robin Williams, Billy Crystal (?), and another popular comedian of the time. MTV played it all the time when I was five.

6. [Drunk suave accent]How’d all these people get in my room? (This one a lot of people over 30 probably won’t get.) No clue again

7. And that’s the way it was… two hundred years ago today No clue

8. Gag me with a spoon! This was a popular valley girl saying in the 1980s. I remember it most distinctly in this one Frank Zappa song.

9. It’s time to put on make-up/It’s time to light the lights… The Muppet Show. Who could forget that? "Why do we always come here? I guess we’ll never know; it’s like a kind of torture to have to watch the show!"

10. [Southern female- really drawled]Mel, kiss my grits! Steel Magnolias?

11. Bueller… Bueller… Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

12. PING PONG BALLS! ** No clue again.

I’m 24 years old. **b

You have 5 minutes to fix all that coding :slight_smile:

GO!