A "pool" for soccer games? (World cup maybe)

I don’t know much about sports, outside the world cup, the superbowl, F1, and the occasional ice skating competition. And I know even less about gambling.

However, I do enjoy participating in the office Superbowl pool. I never watch that sport, except for that day, and it’s in the hopes of winning a few bucks :slight_smile:

They way it’s done for that game (as I’m sure you are all probably familiar with), is that you have a grid of boxes each of which cost a certain amount of money. After all boxes are allocated random numbers are placed on top and left side of the grid. You are then awarded money if the last digit in the score at the end of each quarter matches your box.

Well, I would like to do something similar for the world cup next year. Are there any similar pool/gambling games built specifically for soccer that I can use? The whole score per quarter thing, obviously wouldn’t work with Soccer.

There are pick’em competitions, similar to March Madness. Here’s the one Yahoo had for WC 2010: http://us.wc.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

You can be sure there will be plenty around for next year, too.

I couldn’t access the link in post #2 (blocked from work) so apologies if this is a bit of a duplicate, but the simplest thing to do for the soccer World Cup is write all thirty-two team names down on little pieces of paper (like raffle tickets), then everyone pays a set amount (probably between £1 and £5, depending on how much you want to gamble) to draw a team each. The winner of the team scoops the pool (or you can split it for first, second, third). This is commonly done in offices and friendship groups in the UK.

In 2010 on another message board, we had the same thing as Dead Cat just described (but the winner didn’t get money, just internet fame!!!), and we also had the same thing for referees. It was dumb, but funny. With Howard Webb as my ref, I came from behind with a tremendous match in the Final. Webb produced 13 yellows and a red. I did not get any money, and the only fame is in my head. But still, winner!