A question about DC universe geography

Gotham is indeed a euphemism for New York (albeit an old one). A little info can be found here. I seem to recall seeing a book called “Gotham” recently, which referred to New York city.

Bob Kane evidently took the darker aspects of New York and moulded them into “Gotham City”.

Doh, just realised that transitionality was meaning in the context of the DC universe that Gotham wasn’t a euphemism for New York, and represented an entirely different city…

Sometimes it’s so hard to seperate fact from fiction…

Astro City is coastal. They DO have a mountain, of sorts – Mount Kirby, where the First Family maintains their HQ – but it ain’t in the Rockies. They’ve shown enough maps that it would have to be somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard.

Arrrmatey is correct; “The Dark Deco State” is stamped on each and every Gotham license plate, according to one episode of the Animated Series, where various bad guys are seen in the prison shop, making license plates.

Theoretically, at least, I suppose it COULD be its own state, or independent city; a recent storyline had an earthquake devastating Gotham, after which the federal government refused to step in or do anything (for reasons which still escape me)… which led to anarchy breaking out… which led to Batman imposing law and order on the postapocalyptic Gotham, one square foot at a time (as well as inspiring others to do likewise, and spray-paint Bat-symbols on their own “turf,” to scare away bad guys, who thought the area was under Batman’s protection).

Sorry, wrong answer. From the official Astro City website.

And Kurt has mentioned it being in the Rockies a couple of times.

If it’s of any help, here’s an online atlas of the DC Universe. Unofficial, of course.

Pretty cool maps.

Although, according to old JLA, Detroit in the DC Universe is supposed to be on Lake Michigan.

It was mentioned at least twice.

Hm. Lok’s right.

Be durned. I thought I remembered them having a dockside district…

Astro City definitely has a dockside district. In the death of the Confessor story arc, Altar Boy is taken there by the “Jesus freaks” (sorry, can’t remember their real team name). They put him on their “ark” to recover while everyone is out fighting the invading aliens.
It just turns out their docks front a river, instead of an ocean. :slight_smile: