A Question about Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

As Mangetout says above, it’s Worcestershire that’s pronounced ‘wooster’ (when referring to the sauce only) rather than Wooster that’s pronounced ‘wooster-shear’.

I imagine Wodehouse is being witty about strange pronunciations of some upper class surnames by deliberately choosing an example of what Bertie’s surname sounds like that is often pronounced wrongly itself.

OB

Don’t refrigerate it. Back home I used to buy it in giant bottles. It keeps damned near indefinitely (and a lot of my food swims in it) and seems only to improve. Only L&P make a good sauce. There are other people trying and, frankly, they fail.

“Wooster” - with the same ‘oo’ sound as book or hook.

My grandparents considered Worchestershire to be a health aid and each consumed a tablespoon daily. If I’m not mistaken, this belief was somewhat common among their generation. While grandmom lived to 94 and grandad to 100, I found a full case of Worchestershire in their pantry, so they obviously had planned on it being even more effective still.

Umami.

It is a fairly recently recognized addition to the taste centers on the tongue. Sweet, Salty, Bitter and Sour.

I had never heard of it until working on an exhibit built around the nano-particles that actually deliver the tastes to mouth/nose. There I was happily building my exhibit with little vents to deliver the scents when I saw the text for the sign ( I refuse to use the word signage.) with “Umami.”

Of course in the shop it immediately became “Yomama.”

Pronounce it however you like so long as you spell it right: Worcestershire. Like the county.

I do. Pronounced like wuss-ter-sher or however you’d transcribe the pronunciation Wikipedia has. How the bloke there says it is how I do, with ‘sauce’ on the end obviously.

Just remember, that stuff is not to be used as an embalming fluid.

This thread reminds me, I’m out. And I keep forgetting to buy more every time I go to the store.

From the Lea & Perrins Web site:

and perhaps more importantly, from their FAQ:

It’s a vital addition to any kind of brown, meaty gravy in my kitchen. Before I started using it, my gravy still tasted like my mom’s bland midwest-style beef gravy. Add a few generous shots of L&P, and voila - rich, brown, umami meat gravy. Indispensable for a meatballs-in-brown-mushroom sauce kind of recipe.

I thought that was what Kitchen Bouquet was for.

There is no need to put it in the fridge.
Any microorganism that could live in it deserves to be rewarded for its tenacity. And probably sent to the NCIMB* for immediate inspection and classification!

*Or the national microorganism collection in whatever country you happen to be in with your bottle of sauce.

Ah, but that’s the US website - the UK L&P website doesn’t seem to mention the pronunciation (perhaps because everyone knows it’s pronounced ‘wooster’ :D).

Actually, I have a feeling this may be a case of both pronunciations being correct - with the ‘shire’ variant being more common (and correct) in the US (I’ve even heard UK chefs pronounce it this way on US TV shows) and the ‘wooster’ variant more common (and correct) in the UK.

Anyway, I’m vegetarian, so I use Henderson’s Relish instead (guess how that’s pronounced!). Luckily my in-laws live in Sheffield, as it’s hard to come by down south (and probably even harder to come by in the US.

OB

Are you Peter Stringfellow?

I’m suspicious of any product that has Mr Stringfellow’s endorsement in pride of place on their website.

Raymond Luxury-Yacht?
Fanshaw?

W o r c e s t e r s h i r e.

Hey, I was talking about the Grouch Brothers, they had an alternate spelling.

What?

Wait.

I was merely cutting and pasting from earlier poster – I suspect that’s how that spelling got promulgated throughout the thread. See, language and spelling evolve over time, and what was once considered an error gets repeated over time enough that it enters comm…

What?

Oh.

So, about that movie…

Has anyone tried soy sauce for umami? A dash seems to liven up wonton soup although that might be the salt :slight_smile:

To make this relevant, how does L&P compare to soy sauce in umami-ness if you have tried both?

Both are inferior to nước mắm in that respect.

a couple of weeks ago i was at the grocery store and found a new product----------Worcestershire Ground Black Pepper Blend!!! it’s by mccormick, and is wonderful! to quote the little can of seasoning, “the enticing flavor of worcestershire sauce has been artfully combined with black pepper to create this irresistible seasoning.” “shake on steak, burgers, chicken, pork chops or potatoes before and after cooking.” i’ve also tried it on eggs, and it is soo good!

I never knew Henderson’s is vegetarian. I went to university in Sheffield, and the Relish works was (and presumably still is) close to the university. On cold winter mornings you could see the steam rising and savour the delicious saucy scent drifting across the A61… ah, memories :slight_smile:
BTW add me to the list of people who call it “Worcester sauce” (pronounced as described above). The county is pronounced Wooster-shuh though. Just one of those things.

Oh and another thing - Lea & Perrins is what macaroni cheese was invented for!