A Question About Muscle Relaxants...

I was on Norflex for the past year for my L5/S1 herniation, which hasn’t fully healed yet. The last few months it seemed as though the Norflex wasn’t working – my muscle spasms worsened, and short of resorting to Tylenol #3 (which I wouldn’t do), I was one miserable woman. I had to go back on disability from work because of it…:rolleyes:

Anyway, I was taken off Norflex and put on Robaxin, which I think is a stronger med. I’m spacing out now, which I never did on the Norflex, so it must be stronger…

My question is, is there such a thing as being “immune” to certain meds after taking them for awhile? I know the dangers of getting addicted to codeine and such, but does the same thing happen with non-narcotic meds, like muscle relaxants?

I would think it’s entirely possible to be immune to certain drugs. Although I think that you just might have a higher tolerance for norflex or maybe you didn’t notice the effects of the medicine.

From my experience with muscle relaxer’s I think that it could a combonation of the two; My senior year of highschool I, like so many other kids, thought I was invincible. I threw caution to the wind in the weight room and constantly did heavy squats. As a result, one fine afternoon, I heard a sound whilest going down. It was a snap. My leg actually jerked me up, it was an odd sensation. Well I was dumb and did yet another squat.

Anywho I was put on muscle relaxers because I had partially torn my quad.

I lay in bed for several hours thinking that the pills weren’t working. Being young I took more pills than I should have. Still nothing. I went to go to the bathroom and that’s when I noticed it. The medicine definately had an effect, I was winded on my 4 yard trip to the bathroom. Not to mention I didn’t feel the tear.

Anywho to make a long story even longer I think that, yes certain medicines can have different reactions in peoples bodies.

Naturally, I don’t expect a cite here, just the general impression of those of you who have been here for some time.

Uh…I think you made an error there dude.

sorry, wrong thread

That’s what I was wondering. Being on it for so long, I suppose it’s certainly possible not to notice the effects after awhile. I certainly wasn’t spacy on the Norflex, except at the very beginning. Robaxin, on the other hand…:eek:

What I’m wondering about is possibly becoming addicted to such without realizing it. A lot of the books I’ve read concerning back pain say that one shouldn’t be on muscle relaxants indefinitely, but don’t give a specific reason why. I would think that my doctor – heck, any doctor – would inform a patient of that, or at least not renew the prescription. Nothing has been said to me. When I asked my doctor about it, she dismissed it saying that “Well, if I didn’t think it’d help you, I wouldn’t prescribe it.”

:confused: