A registered sex offender moved in near my house. What, if anything, should I do?

Another vote for finding out the offense. About a week ago there was a special on the news about a couple who found out their new neighbor was a sex offender. They called the police and the gov’t and raised hell, they told all the neighbors, they even started putting up posters all over the neighborhood. When that didn’t work they called the local news to come and do a story. They talked about what a horrible dirty person he is, and how he shouldn’t be allowed to live so close to their little child blah blah blah and he’ll never ever change his ways blah blah blah. His offense. When he was 18 (ten years ago) he had sex with his 17 year old girlfriend. At that point the neighbor, I think trying to save face, agreed to take down the signs and not bother him anymore, but they still verbally didn’t like him being there.

I don’t know; I thought the post that showed that abuse usually comes from acquaintances and family members shows that this guy isn’t that big of a problem.

Well, I’m all for “innocent until proven guilty,” but he’s been proven guilty. And, as far as I know, you rarely plea to a worse charge… usually to a lesser charge, so I’m not sure how that would be to his benefit.

Again, this man is middle-aged. His conviction was 4 years ago, and against a minor.

Really? You thought that post proved that point? Indisputably? Really? Enough to ignore a conivcted sex offender? Do you have children? I’m not being snarky, I’m really curious.

A plea can be for any reason. Somes the accused pleas to a crime he didn’t commit to avoid prosecution for one that he might be proved guilty – maybe the evidence, valid or not, would be more damaging for another crime. The cops regularly charge the accused with dozens of crimes, many of which might not stand up in court, in order to get just one plea to one count, any count. Sometimes a person is between a rock and a hard place and has to make a compromise where guilt or innocence isn’t a factor, but self-preservation is. Sometimes people don’t make the best choice under those circumstances, but you can’t go back and re-do the trial.

As far as being “proven guilty,” this person has not been proven guilty of any crime that has not yet happened. Even courts are reluctant to use past criminal history to convict for a new crime; you seem all too ready to assume that this person will never be rehabilitated and is guilty forever, no matter what. Doesn’t he deserve a break once the time has been served? Even murderers can become useful citizens.

Sexual attractions don’t change, do they? I would think this guy will always be a pedophile. He may be a pedophile who is able to resist his urges. Or maybe not. I’d say some caution is justified.

Moving thread from IMHO to Great Debates.

I am pretty certain North Carolina has a three year Romeo and Juliet law, though for some reason I believe it does not apply to sodomy.

Child predators are much less likely to reoffend than those convicted of other felonies. This study cites a 5 year recidivism rate of 19% for child molesters, while other non-sexually oriented felonies reoffend at a rate of 67% after only 3 years.

How many convicted burglars live in your neighborhood?

That may only prove that it’s much harder to catch and convict a child molestor.

Let us know if you find any evidence to support that.

Do you suppose that pedophiles stop being pedophiles just because they’ve been in jail? Does a stint behind bars somehow magically change their sexual orientation?

Or does it maybe just make them more cautious about getting caught?

Stop and think about who the witnesses to an act of pedophilia are going to be versus who the witnesses to an act of, say, armed robbery are going to be, and I hope you’ll realize that it’s much easier to get caught and convicted of armed robbery than it is to get caught and convicted of child molestation.

Fear Itself, your statistic does not prove that child molesters are unlikely to commit the crime again, only that they are unlikely to be convicted again. The reasons for that ought to be obvious.

So get back to us when you’ve proven that a pedophile can be “reformed.”

Even take at face value, 19% is enough for someone to be concerned about. Also, I don’t care nearly as much about a burglar who might steal my television one night when I’m not home, as I do of my children being the victim of a pedophile.

Which does not relieve you from the responsibility of providing a cite. I provided statistics that support my claim. You have not.

That is another issue, however. The question I was addressing was the relative recidivism of sexual predators versus other felons.

I think you should be worried for your children. The only reasonable thing to do is to put bars on your windows and build a moat. Oh, and hire armed guards for your children at all times. Maybe some SAMs in your backyard, too.

Seriously, what did you want from this thread?

Umm… advice from people who have had similar experiences or more knowledge on the situation than myself? You know, like the 73 posts before you wandered in?

You really need a cite that jail does not change sexual orientation?

I never said it did.

Here’s what Wikipedia says:

You are arguing a point I never made. Show me evidence that child molesters have a higher recidivism rate than other felons. That would disprove my claim. Any other arguments are mere hand waving.