A Series of Unfortunate Titles

What titles (movie/book/TV series/etc.) seemed oddly inappropriate, unintentionally humorous, if not outright wrong, for whatever reasons, and you wondered how someone could have been as oblivious as to choose it for their work?

My favorite is the film K-Pax, which sounds to me like a feminine hygiene product.

A Midsummer Night’s Sex Comedy, which isn’t a comedy. This isn’t a dig: it’s a fine drama (perhaps even a tragedy). But the title is ironic and confused a lot of people.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Based on its idiotic title, Going All the Way promised to be a moronic high-school sex comedy. A friend convinvced me to watch it, though, and instead it was a pretty well-done, dark little drama about a couple of fairly young soldiers coming home from the Korean War.

Not to menion: Mmmm… Rose McGowan in a prom dress…

The Naked Lunch.

“I can think of at least two things wrong with that title…” </Nelson>

Disneyland claims to be “The Happiest Place on Earth!” (or some such drivel).

Having been there, once on a date and once with a 4-year-old, I strongly disagree.

Midnight Cowboy - a lot of people at the time didn’t know that it meant “male prostitute”.

I didn’t know that until this second.

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever sounds like they never finished writing the title. There ought to be more to it, or less

Metalstorm: The DEstruction of Jared-Syn sounds as if they expect us to know who or what Jared-Syn is.

Sorceror sounds like a fantasy film, or maybe it’s about Carlos Castaneda’s shaman, Don Juan Matus. I never would’ve figured it as a remake of The Wages of Fear. It was YEARS before I learned where the title came from (It’s apparently the name of one of the trucks)

Vision Quest sounds like it should be a fantasy quest movie, or maybe about a pre-Columbian American Indian going on his mystic inner journey. I’d never have guessed it’s about a high school wrestler:

It is – but at no point in the film is the name mentioned in dialog. You can only see it written on the side – and then if you’re looking for it.

The film’s title is actually meant as a reference to the mystic inner journey. The (excellent) book makes that comparison more explicit.

I went there (well, The Magic Kingdom,) last weekend and the ticket tacker reminded us that we were going to The Happiest Place on Earth, I almost shoutest “Tijuana!”*

*The Simpsons did it.

Rick Schmidt made a Waiting For Guffman-type movie about a stage production of Showboat titled Showboat 1988.

But when the holders of the Showboat rights threatened to sue, he changed his title to the spectacularly unhelpful 1988: The Remake.

What about the play Sexual Perversity In Chicago being turned into a movie with the “safe”, boring title …About Last Night?

Picking Up the Pieces is a singularly unmemorable title for a very funny film.

The Hudsucker Proxy is a wholly unmarketable and confusing title for a great movie. Same with The Shawshank Redemption. Tim Robbins spent 1994 in movies he’s lucky anyone ever saw.

A stupid title made even stupider by the fact that at no point in the movie is Jared-Syn destroyed.
(Yes, I just used spoiler tags on Metalstorm. We wouldn’t want to ruin anyone’s enjoyment of that fine piece of science-fiction cinema, would we?)

Heh…I always took the title to mean the destruction wrought by Jared-Syn. Because, you know, there was some. :slight_smile:

This is really turning into one of the more esoteric and geeky side conversations I’ve ever seen in CS.

The Gods Hate Kansas

Never read it, now I must find it!

War with the Newts

Great social commentary on Europe and U.S. during the 1930’s. Bad name!

Let’s Get Harry always struck me as a really stupid title.