A "stuck on himself" modernist architect messing up Austin

I can hardly wait for my next visit to Austin. I will have to see some of this guy’s monstrosities that are making the neighbors gasp. Just looking at the website gives me a below zero confidence in his abilities. Not that he has no skill, but he appears to be one of those arrogant fucks that can’t understand that people have to live in these houses. What’s worse, are the investors in his project, where he no doubt lives in one of the guest houses (for real, I have been told).

I especially love the ramp houst. A modernist tower of ugly rising above a pretty old neighborhood. As far as I can tell, only 2 or 3 have been completed. Maybe Austin will bring back tar-and-feathering.

Get ready. Here comes the link. This may shock and schlock you.

I warned you.

http://www.mjneal.com/#

Two questions:[ul][li]Are these the blocky houses in the Bouldin Creek (AKA the real South Austin) neighborhood? Assuming that they are, the ones on S. 5th look ok since they’re off the street and down a hill, but the ones on Live Oak, perched squarely on flat lots, look ridiculous! I’d rather buy the owner-built stucco temple-looking place with the car windshield windows around the corner. That, or hollow out Skaagen-Brakhage’s Genie and move inside. :)Just how fast of internet access do you have to have before they let you put one of these boxes under contract anyway!? That has to be the slowest loading website I’ve ever seen![/ul][/li]
I still haven’t seen outside pictures of these things, but the site says that they’re planning to build twenty-five more shoeboxes next year. Look Ma, it’s a pipe dream!

Two questions:[ul][li]Are these the blocky houses in the Bouldin Creek (AKA the real South Austin) neighborhood? Assuming that they are, the ones on S. 5th look ok since they’re off the street and down a hill, but the ones on Live Oak, perched squarely on flat lots, look ridiculous! I’d rather buy the owner-built stucco temple-looking place with the car windshield windows around the corner. That, or hollow out Skaagen-Brakhage’s Genie and move inside. :)Just how fast of internet access do you have to have before they let you put one of these boxes under contract anyway!? That has to be the slowest loading website I’ve ever seen![/ul][/li]
I still haven’t seen outside pictures of these things, but the site says that they’re planning to build twenty-five more shoeboxes next year. Look Ma, it’s a pipe dream!

I did not hit reply twice!

This is the most annoying professionally written site I’ve ever seen. Three-point type that hurts the eyes, links that same size tinted a light-purple and set on a scarlet background, and scrolling picture-links that invite you to play “hit the monkey to go to the next part of the site.”

And the designs! I particularly loath the Ramp House (no links here, kids. The script jocks discourage deep-linking). It’s listed under “Projects on the Market.” It rises like a bloody red zit from the landscape.

Oh, wait, I see: when you click on a project, the scrolling pictures change to reflect that choice, so you’re never sure if you’ve seen all the pictures unless you click repeatedly and come up with the same pix over and over again.

Especially love M.J. Neal’s description of the company:

“We bring ferociousness, rigor and truth to the practice of architecture.”

(Translation: as opposed to the pretentious fucking liars you normally see out there.)

“It is not just our profession; it is our vocation.”

(We’re goddamn monks about it, too.)

“We have been internationally published, we have won world awards and, most importantly, we’ve enjoy (almost) every minute.”

(So you get the pleasure and the money? I don’t think it’s supposed to work this way. And “enjoy” should be in the past tense.)

“Would you wish a tour of the solid kind, please don’t hesitate to contact our Studio.”

(Ah, but will the Studio answer? And it’s “should,” not “would.”)

Mad props to the Flash-wits at the Sketchbook Company. The usefulness of your design is equal to that of the architect’s projects.

Another example of architects who have decided it is a good idea to take part of the Borg ship and plant it in the middle of some random community.

They give no consideration for the “character”, climate or history of the community they are placing their monstrosities in.

In twenty years will those buildings be a highlight on tours for out of towners or will people just shake their heads and wonder “what were they thinking”.

Another sign that IMO may architects do not have a clue.

Ghods I hate Flash webpages.

I will have to take your word for it – that guy sucks!

Oh this is just sad… Here, we have cookie cutter houses being built. The freakin’ suburbs are now spilling way into the countryside… and those migrating from the burbs to the country, new money the lot of 'em, seem keen on having some atrociously hidious homes (much like the ones seen at the link above) built.

Bleh!

:smack: Elly

I thought Texas locked up drug abusers?

Is there a better picture of that house?
The ramp house photo is not a good one.

So far what I see, I like his stuff.

I find it interesting when people have opinions with no direct knowledge of things. It’s like slamming a person you have never met or had any contact with…

I know the people who live in the houses you are talking about and I’ve been a guest in them. They are incredible! Living in them is just the best possible experience. There’s light, color, and a sense of fun… great use of space; (no dead spaces in the house whatsoever.) The details are freaking unbelievable. The kitchen is all in steel, sealed MDF, and touch latch panels (no handles) clean and efficient. The materials honest and of the highest quality. The bathrooms are a dream, all in white tile, mirror, steel and frosted and non-frosted glass. You don’t even have to buy a shower curtain; there’s a piece of glass for the water. The fixtures are beautiful (Philip Starck.) There are built-in cabinets in the stair elements and behind the mirrors, and built in shelving… They feel SO much more spacious than “traditional houses” that have greater sq ft area.

They are built with sustainable materials and insulated structural panels. The siding you will never have to paint. The outside spaces are the perfect gathering area. They work as well with wild parties than with intimate dinners of two. And no mosquitoes to boot (copper screens and sliding custom steel doors). From these porches you can interact with the neighbors and with the interior of the house at the same time… I could go on and on.

I find it incredible that you take a guy who’s put years of work to make something especial and truly contemporary, but still full of warmth and play, and slam his design without even seeing it or experiencing it. Well, at least the GA Gallery in Tokyo hangs the Ramp House next to work of Legorreta, Meier, Alto, etc… And Twin Peaks was published in the GA house projects next to the same kind of company… but does GA Magazine sell in Austin? (bah, it’s only the most prestigious architecture magazine in the world.)

In Europe, where the buildings are really old (like in Venice, Italy) they don’t let you build new stuff imitating the old. It’s absurd. Each century its own. All the idiots building cheap imitations of Mediterranean villas over here (and Tudor, and French, and arts and Crafts, and bungalows, and imitation everything@#$$**!!!) haven’t noticed (because they don’t travel outside of the country, just like some of you I’m afraid) that the architecture going on these days in the Mediterranean or in the truly old towns is modern@!! and it contrasts nicely with the old, like it always did. Same with a 65 yr. old neighborhood.

MJ Neal’s houses take into consideration the height of the buildings around them in the design of the porches or in the setting back of the ramp house, for example… The siding is similar to what they use, minus the fake wood grooves and the cheap paint. The houses are also looking at the tall pecans and taking them into consideration… but as far as style, every period its thing, the rest is just IMITATIVE AND FAKE.

Sure, let’s get more of the builder wreckage that constitutes the 98% of the building poisonous crop these days. Let’s breath more of the out-gassing of the fake wool carpets… Fake mullions, fake Styrofoam arches, and fake stucco to you all! Crappy, tacky kitchens and bathrooms, oh and please let’s have the high pitched roofs for the heavy Texas snow! And if the window of your bedroom opens into your neighbor’s bathroom, who cares? (We’ll just let the blinds down, like in every other room!) We go with the $2,000 blueprint, so what if we have to cut down the pecan trees? You don’t want to nestle the houses up between the trees and save electricity and fit them nicely in the site. Some idiots at some forum may consider it pretentious, so lets cut the trees and say they were sick and make a huge foundation to fit a single story pitched roof imitation shack for the 40’s, so we are not attacked. Oh! and they’ll call you a drug user. You are dreaming too high.

Who cares what you could really do, or really live like? Mom had all these pretty curtains on the windows and crap all over the kitchen, so it must be what “home” is. But beware if you are different! You may give some ignorant slime from two hours away that’s never seen the house a jealousy attack!

Pathetic.

Please, Mr. Neal, settle down. It’s only our little way of having fun here in the pit. Or, maybe you happen to work for Sketchbook?

Now then . . .

Like it or not, they asked for our opinion. Putting up a site on the net does that. You just don’t happen to like our opinion. Fine. Blame Sketchbook and Neal for choosing a cutting-edge Web design style that emphasizes the use of Flash, and choice of arty photographs over those that depict what the projects actually look like.

And while you’re entitled to your judgments, your assumption that we’re the great unwashed happy with our crappy stucco and Mother’s curtains betrays a snobbery that befits the rest of your commentary.

Nice to hear your opinion and the reasons behind it, fort. Of course my opinion remains that the architect should be put away somewhere quiet for a long time.

So pesch and muffin, you have seen the houses and you know Mr. Neal I take it, since you have such strong opinions. And I’m not Mr. Neal, you slanderer.

Oh and I happen to know the guys at sketchbook as well. Very nice professionals with more class you will ever have, of course. Why don’t you spend your time trashing crap in your own town is beyond me.

Nice that you know so many people, fort, and that you are abe to confine your opinions to the matter at hand, rather than to throw sticks at those who’s opinions disagree with yours. Having viewed the architect’s own page, my opinion remains that his work is horrid.

Seriously, for a second, I don’t think it is wise to accuse people of being slanderers. Anything related to taking a legal position or legal action is absolutely unacceptable, for it puts the existence of the board at risk.

There’s horrid work all over the world. Why exactly you choose this guy to slander (lock him up, he’s on drugs?) is a bit strange don’t you think?

To you is just play and fun to trash people I know personally and that I know have put so much work and effort into their work. It’s plain hurtful and mean to me and to them. Especially when their work is especially interesting and thought provoking at worst. You guys are thousands of miles from here and haven’t even seen the work and you get to have this aggressive opinions on his character? (when he’s a sweet man, caring and honest to a fault.)

I don’t think so.

Arrogant fuck, drug addict (or he’s on drugs), and criminal (lock him up) IS slander in this case. I can prove it any time. So, bring it on.