A very strange headache

I’ve have a really strange kind of headache all day. It’s only on the left side, and it’s only on the surface - my scalp is painful to the touch, it even hurts when I touch my hair; but there’s no pain beneath the surface like a normal headache. I’ve had something like this when sick with a fever, but I don’t have a fever, don’t feel sick, and the left-side-only is strange. I also have an earache in my left ear.

Can anyone suggest any explanation for this?

I don’t have an explanation, but I have had the type of headache you describe several times. I haven’t given it a great deal of through but I always just assumed that I slept on my ear wrong; or the other thing, is that when I had long hair I used to wear it in a ponytail all the time and when I put it in a different style it hurt like hell from being forced to go in a different direction. I used to have to massage my scalp to make the pain go away. The scalp was ultra-sensitive and hurt to touch. Can’t be a problem as I’ve had it, if rarely, over a number of years.

Possibly irritation of the trigeminal nerve. I get this same sensation a day or so before an outbreak of cold sores.

Did you sleep on one side without turning over for a prolnged period?

prolonged, that is …

Here’s a brief update:

The problem is in its third day now, and now I have a slight sore throat and slight nasal congestion, both only on the left side. These symptoms are very mild, unlike the scalp pain and the earache. In general I still don’t feel at all sick, but I’ll go to the doctor if it doesn’t get better by Saturday. I never heard of anything only on one side, and the scalp pain is just bizarre.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

I have that type of headache as I’m developing a sinus infection. The sinuses (sinii?) won’t even be stuffy and it will HURT to comb my hair.