AaaaAAAaaRRrrrnnGGHHH!!!

Please, please: where is this “sleep button”? I’ve just carefully scrutinized each key and none of them say sleep. (I am so sick to death of waiting around for the damn computer to shut down normally when I’m in a hurry – like when a thunderstorm rolls in. )

Yes, I have WinXP Home edition. The computer is a Dell Dimension, the keyboard the one that came with it.

It is an optional key, not on many keyboards and quite often is just marked with a Quarter Moon Symbol.

Jim

Heh… insult generator script. It sounded funny when I said it out loud, so I left it in.

Aha! Besides the ‘ordinary’ looking keys there are three at the top of the keyboard that are just slightly rounded bumps, solid black with no labels on them. On the body of the keyboard above them are icons: an envelope (launch email?) a house (go to home page?) and a magnifying glass (launch search?) All question marks because I’ve never used any of them.

What I never noticed at all before today is that there is a slightly indented circle located in the gap between fht F12 key and the PrintScreen/Scroll lock/Pause trio of buttons. Now that I’ve rubbed the dust of the area…Crescent moon!
I am very very happy I spent time on the Dope today.
And mystified how anyone could hit that key by accident.

Hulk…smash?

:smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

:cool:

Its position varies by keyboard. I have never managed to hit mine, but on some keyboards it is easy to do.
My pet peeve about keyboards are the ones that put the backslash key below the Enter key and to the right of the right Shift. They drive me nuts.

Jim

I’m sorry, I know Computer Geeks, I have seen Computer Geeks, but you, my friend, are NOT a Computer Geek. :stuck_out_tongue:

A Computer Geek would have put that figure in a standardized numerized value that represents the difference between one and the next post.

A REALLY ADVANCED Computer Geek would have figured out how many computer cycles had elapsed between one post and another (on the server, of course).

You do tech support for a living.

You can see several reasons to not upgrade to XP.

Yet, you can’t reconfigure your keyboard?

How about, you just buy a new keyboard and maybe think about the layout of the keys first.

I learned something from a Pit thread (other than new insults - although I do like “underfunded dog turd”). I never knew what that key with the crescent moon on it did, and I was not about to press it to find out in case it launched me into orbit or something.

I’m lucky - mine is in a spot where it is very difficult to hit by accident. Thanks, HP.

But I like the key click on this one. It seriously matches my groove.

That sounds sooooo shallow. I had no idea tactile feedback would be that important to me. :wally

I thought it was Chewbacca. (Unfortunately, there aren’t any brown smilies.)

There needs to be a band that features the Hulk, Chewbacca, and, oh I don’t know, Marlon Brando.

A man’s computer is his castle.

Since this is about fixing computer problems, and I’m feeling Junior Mod-esque today, I’ve reported this thread to the real mods for transfer to GQ as soon as can be arranged. I think the GQ folks will find the OP a nice change of pace, don’t you?

Just kidding, I didn’t really report the thread.