Abandoned Soviet-Era Building in Bulgaria

I give you … the Buzludzha monument. Described as “a cross between a flying saucer and Doctor Evil’s hideout perched atop a glorious mountain range.”

“Buzludha is Bulgaria’s largest ideological monument to Communism. Designed by architect Guéorguy Stoilov, more than 6000 workers were involved in its 7 year construction including 20 leading Bulgarian artists who worked for 18 months on the interior decoration. A small, universally expected donation from every citizen in the country formed a large portion of the funds required to build this impressive structure that was finally unveiled in 1981 on what was the 1300th anniversary of the foundation of the Bulgarian state.”

Man, they just don’t make totalitarian dictatorships like they used to. Even that young whippersnapper in North Korea is already proving a disappointment entertainmentwise.

Kim Young Fat doesn’t even have enough food to feed people to work to build something that grand.

I want it.

Great post! What a totally weird building! Does anybody know the name of the gigantic palace that Roumanian dictator/madman (Ceaucescue) was building in Bucharest, around the time he got overthrown?
It was using up most of the Roumanian prodction of concrete, and it was (just like Buzludzsha) fantastically bizarre and ugly.

wow… just wow…

Wow…Cold War flashbacks.

Yowza. For communists, they sure got the thory of ruin value down pat.

'place looks like there’d be some Shoggoths running around in the lower levels.

Well, that’s a hell of a thing.

Palace of the Parliament.

I think it’s quite beautiful.

I think that’s because he eats it all himself.

Somehow I see this featured on a future episode of House Hunters International as a “fixer-upper” and it will be bought by a young couple from Milwaukee who want to use it as a yoga studio/hunting lodge.

Wow - that’s creepy and awesome at the same time. Thanks for sharing!

I wonder how many Bulgarians dies stripping the copper off the roof?
What a stupid waste of meoney.
But its not as bad as most Communist-Era dreck archictecture-it looks a lot nicer than most of the stuff that Stalin commissioned.

That is the coolest evil-genius lair EVER!!!

I love abandoned, decrepit Soviet-era buildings so much. So enormous and surreal. Thank you.

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings…

I want to live there.

I will buy it from you . . . for one MEELLion dollars!! [music]BA DA DA! BA DA DA![/music] [raises outstretched pinkie to lips]

Looks like somebody’s been playing around in the third level of Inception.