Abominable local cuisine

It might well be on the menu in your local Chinese takeaway. You could always ask them to make it up even if it’s not on the menu. I know some people in Scotland eat them but they’re not as common. How about curry and cheese chips? Apparently that delicacy is well liked beyond the Pale.

I wouldn’t know. I seriously avoided trying one.

I’m one of those elitist bastards who hates people who put ketchup on hot dogs. (Why do they hate America so much?)

My favorite dog place has all sort of interesting dog toppings. The one I order most is called a shaggy dog. It’s topped with BBQ sauce and cole slaw. It’s yum times a million.

I noticed that as well. Not every place though, but a lot of them. However, this is balanced out by the beauty that is Southern Style Iced Tea. It has to be the water because anywhere else, it doesn’t taste like it does down South.

For those of us whose bodies can’t tolerate too much greasy crap, it IS interesting afterwards to see what your GI tract is going to surprise you with :eek:

Scrapple is for people too cowardly to eat chorizo.

Fried food that is that greasy is improperly done. It’s either overbattered or fried at too low heat, or both. Also, if cheapo oil is used, it will taste of ass.

Bhutan supposedly has the world’s most disgusting local cuisine. Scotland probably comes in second.

This sounds absolutely horrific. You’re near Boston, aren’t you? Which suburb should I be avoiding so as to never come near this abomination?

That’s a pretty out-of-date stereotype, at least in my experience. No cuisine that has a good half-dozen named varieties of cream can be all bad.

The worst meal I ever had in my life was in Beijing. Non-Americanized Chinese food is, well, let’s just call it “different” to avoid value judgments.

Which one Smeghead? My sense of national self-worth is at stake!

I love chorizo–especially good lymph-and-pancreas chorizo–but I don’t care for the local semi-scrapple around here: goetta.

But it’s not the local abomination. For that, I refer you to Cincinnati-style “chili”. I can at least finish the goetta.

Oh, shit. Bhutan. I thought that said Britain. Well, let’s say I was referring to Scotland, then. :smack:

I’ve had good Cuban food at several Houston restaurants. And pretty good Jamaican, too.

Of course, real Cubans & real Jamaicans did the cooking.

Hey, a properly made 5-way is a wonderful dish. Made at a Skyline, preferably.

But mushy peas are the reason you folks lost your empire.

A massively popular local BBQ chain in my city sells loose meat sandwiches by the truckload - a couple of weeks ago, I found out how they make them.

Cook a brisket. Cut off the top layer of fat. Slice the brisket and sell it buy the pound. Take the removed fat, throw it in some BBQ sause. Scoop fat and BBQ sause onto a bun, wrap it in foil, and sell. O.o

I presume the final step involves watching your customers suffer massive MIs and call 911.

My experience (Toronto-based, perhaps I am getting inauthentic versions) is more mixed. It is one of my favourite kinds of vegetarian food. I could happily survive eating nothing but Trinidadian roti (lots of tumeric and chili-seasoned chick peas, spinach, cabbage, etc) and I could even get by on Guyanese roti (same but with more varied fillings). For the non-veg, a good goat roti or oxtail stew is to die for, and they’ve always got great rice and beans. And I’ve never had a bad Jamaican patty. And my thesis supervisor made a mean saltfish and ackee.

However, there have been only two occasions in my life in which I have obtained a take-out meal and then returned it to the place I got it because it was so abominable. Both of those were roti too - one was Jamaican (full of peas and corn and with no discernible flavour) and the other one was of undetermined heritage but it had enormous chunks of unseasoned TVP in it. Ugh. If either of those had been my first foray into the world of West Indian cuisine I would have run screaming in the opposite direction as well.

In England, I thought mushy peas were about as gross as it could get, until I encountered the jellied eels.

My nomination for abominable local cuisine is the unidentifiable meat parts that come with a standard Phở:

I like the tripe and tendons. Phở is good food.

Taunton.

I probably don’t have to worry about you stumbling through there.

Fried eagle with a side of eel hash.

I live a block from a Jamaican restaurant (which is definitely Caribbean as far as I can tell), and I’d gladly eat there 3 or 4 times a week if I could justify it. There are handful of Jamaican restaurants near where I work as well, and I have yet to find one that disappointed.

I’m not sure why you specify North America here, since Cuba is a very popular vacation destination for Canadians.