About British TV/Elections, circa 70s, 80s

Wait, so you’re saying that Malcolm Peter Brian Telescope Adrian Umbrella Stand Jasper Wednesday (pops mouth twice) Stoatgobbler John Raw Vegetable (sound effect of horse whinnying) Arthur Norman Michael (blows squeaker) Featherstone Smith (blows whistle) Northgot Edwards Harris (fires pistol, then ‘whoop’) Mason (chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff) Frampton Jones Fruitbat Gilbert (sings) ‘We’ll keep a welcome in the’ (three shots, stops singing) Williams If I Could Walk That Way Jenkin (squeaker) Tiger-drawers Pratt Thompson (sings) ‘Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head’ Darcy Carter (horn) Pussycat ‘Don’t Sleep In The Subway’ Barton Mainwaring (hoot, ‘whoop’) Smith wasn’t a real candidate? Wow.

Well, yes he was, but they wrote his names as:
THROATWARBLER-MANGROVE, J.
on the ballot paper, to save space.

On the ballot, the name would appear in writing as Raymond Luxury Yacht.

In Houston, we have a guy who runs as an independent candidate for mayor every time who is named John Worldpeace. Not to be outdone, Austin’s well-known homeless tranvestite Leslie ran for mayor there at least once, and got a decent chunk of the vote. So we do have silly candidates, but not necessarily an organized Silly Party.

I tried googling to see what party Pat Paulsen used to run for president with, and it turns out he’s listed in past primary elections for both the Republicans and the Democrats. Not both in the same year. I hadn’t realized.

“Just a common, ordinary, simple savior of America’s destiny.”
He was silly enough for any party.